We had a long, enjoyable run, and I would like to thank every Orlando Magic fan who contributed to our small community on the web. This message board will be left online as an archive into the thoughts and minds of a group of Magic fanatics who lived through a 21-win season, the drafting of Dwight Howard, and an eventual NBA Finals appearance. You can also visit the original MagicMadness Forum at http://orlandomagic.proboards.com.
Special thanks to our Staff Members: Black and Blue, MAGICMANEVAN, and NYCMagicFan!
MagicMadness
Forum Owner
| Magic will reach out to Turk again.... | |
|---|---|
| Tweet Topic Started: Jun 30 2009, 01:16 AM (2,102 Views) | |
| Vinnie | Jun 30 2009, 01:16 AM Post #1 |
![]()
Legend
|
Full Story Click Here
|
![]() |
|
| jscarrozzo | Jun 30 2009, 10:15 AM Post #2 |
|
Starter
|
I don't think there will be any luck getting him back. He rejected a 4 yr $35 mil offer from the magic right after the finals. That's roughly $8.75mil/yr, $1.25 mil under what he was looking for. You would think he would be a little lenient playing for a team that made him who he is today. http://realgm.com/src_wiretap_archives/601...35m_extension/# |
![]() |
|
| MagicMadness | Jun 30 2009, 10:27 AM Post #3 |
![]() ![]()
|
I thought we were interested in Wallace and/or Bass? Won't Boston immediately pursue Wallace? |
![]() |
|
| TheFalcon | Jun 30 2009, 10:41 AM Post #4 |
![]()
Air Gortat
|
Players don't have that kind of loyalty, nor should they. It doesn't make any sense for them to say "well, I'll take less money for team X, cause they really helped me along." The team never says anything like that. The team doesn't give extra money to loyal players - they'll cut them in a heartbeat if it is in the best interest of the team, regardless of a player's loyalty. Turkoglu should set his amount and go get it. It's completely unrealistic to expect anything else. The sports arena is a cut-throat business, and we shouldn't expect one side to make decisions based on morals while the other side can operate with a totally me-first mentality. And in regards to Wallace... I was suprised too. As I was saying in another thread, I'd feel much better about Vince if we had an established power forward. Instead, we're targeting a player who is also being targeted by Cleveland and Boston, and now our GM is saying he's going to wait for things to settle down and isn't going to pursue Rasheed Wallace right away. Umm, what the hell? If we don't pick up a solid power forward, then Vince Carter was a completely wasted move and the team is definitely a step behind where we were last year. |
![]() |
|
| SG489 | Jun 30 2009, 11:41 AM Post #5 |
|
The Comeback Kid
|
From the very start of the offseason, there have been questionable moves by Otis that I think it's never convincing as a fan to believe that this team is championship worthy. |
![]() |
|
| efenell | Jun 30 2009, 12:46 PM Post #6 |
|
DA - Magic Legend
|
you guys should have learned by now that Otis is not going to tell the truth, and for good reason. If he goes out and says how interested he really is in Sheed, that just drives up his value among other teams and his asking price. He has a great poker face so lets just watch him play his game and see what cards he's holding at the end. I said this before and I'll say it again, even though everyone in the local media has discounted it until today. I think we resign Hedo to 3-4 years and go deep into the tax because old man DeVos wants a ring bad before he kicks the bucket. I mean, whats another 10-20 million when you have 6 billion in the bank?? To us shmucks with a $1,000 in the bank, thats equivilant to like 5 bucks. |
![]() |
|
| dxwwf3 | Jun 30 2009, 01:54 PM Post #7 |
|
Legend
|
I don't think that would be the reason he would want to re-sign here. Orlando is his best shot to win a championship, period. If he would rather have a few more million (possibly) and sacrifice his best shot at winning, that's fine. But if he does sign somewhere else, we'll know that winning it all wasn't the single most important thing to him, that is unless we really don't offer him anything much. |
![]() |
|
| Vinnie | Jun 30 2009, 02:06 PM Post #8 |
![]()
Legend
|
Portland is the best team he could go to with any cap room. Detroit is an okay team, but kind of in transition. The other teams with cap room all are terrible; Mephis, Sacramento and Oklahoma City. Not a ton of options for him out there. |
![]() |
|
| D12 | Jun 30 2009, 04:00 PM Post #9 |
![]()
Starter
|
Getting a Solid Power Forward to pair up with Vince Carter will help us out alot, but If we do not get this PF, getting Vince Carter will not be a wasted move. |
![]() |
|
| CLos | Jun 30 2009, 04:36 PM Post #10 |
|
Eastern Conference Champs
|
I don't understand how it was a wasted move getting Carter. Turkoglu was probably already going to leave so we traded away some garbage and one decent potential player (who was a role player) for an established All-Star and another solid role player. That's a pretty damn good trade. |
![]() |
|
| TheFalcon | Jun 30 2009, 05:06 PM Post #11 |
![]()
Air Gortat
|
It is most definitely a wasted move if we don't get a good power forward to fill that hole. It's all about opportunity cost - what else could we have gotten for Alston, Lee, and Battie, plus Turkoglu's cap space. Instead we gave up three good players, and put ourselves within one million dollars of the salary cap, and we still need FIVE players to field a full roster. Our starting lineup from last year was solid top to bottom. Right now, 1, 2, 3, and 5 are good, and we have a gaping hole at the 4 spot. If we assume that Turkoglu would leave anyways (which was far from a foregone conclusion), then I would rather have packaged some players and money together and gone after a good power forward, rather than upgrade at the SG, giving up our most promising wing player, a starting-caliber point guard, strapping ourselves financially for the next two years, and making it virtually impossible to keep either Turkoglu or Gortat. That's a hell of a lot for an aging, 20 points per game (on a bad team) player. I don't think it was a good trade. I think it was a knee-jerk reaction from a team desperate to add a "star" after Cleveland pulled in Shaq. Vince's style is completely at odds with our team-first, share-the-ball mentality. If we don't get a good power forward, I think we're looking at 10 less wins next season. He'll put butts in the seats, but he's not going to shore up any of the weaknesses that we had last year. |
![]() |
|
| dxwwf3 | Jun 30 2009, 05:29 PM Post #12 |
|
Legend
|
I wonder if Ron Artest suddenly doesn't want to stay in Houston considering their situation now? If Turk is determined to leave, I wonder if Artest would take similar money? Yes he would play the 3 and wouldn't solve our small lineup problem, but if he plays like he did last year, talk about a perfect fit. |
![]() |
|
| TheFalcon | Jun 30 2009, 06:05 PM Post #13 |
![]()
Air Gortat
|
If we hadn't gotten Vince, I'd be all for Ron Artest. He is a much better fit, helps fix our problem areas, and brings some mental toughness. I would have loved to sign him and trade for a solid power forward. |
![]() |
|
| dxwwf3 | Jun 30 2009, 07:24 PM Post #14 |
|
Legend
|
Anybody want to bet that Gortat ends up in Houston now? I bet they overpay to make sure they have a decent center to go with next season. |
![]() |
|
| Pitbullz EP | Jun 30 2009, 07:31 PM Post #15 |
|
Magic in 5
|
How do we know that there was even a team out there that was willing to take Lee/Alston/Battie and give up a "solid power forward"? There may have not been any options out there to get a "solid pf". |
![]() |
|
| Go to Next Page | |
| « Previous Topic · Orlando Magic Locker Room · Next Topic » |











8:53 PM Jul 10