Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
NOTE FROM THE FORUM OWNER:

We had a long, enjoyable run, and I would like to thank every Orlando Magic fan who contributed to our small community on the web. This message board will be left online as an archive into the thoughts and minds of a group of Magic fanatics who lived through a 21-win season, the drafting of Dwight Howard, and an eventual NBA Finals appearance. You can also visit the original MagicMadness Forum at http://orlandomagic.proboards.com.

Special thanks to our Staff Members: Black and Blue, MAGICMANEVAN, and NYCMagicFan!

MagicMadness
Forum Owner
Add Reply
Darko won't play for Magic as long as Smith is GM; I guess so much for Darko..
Topic Started: Jul 3 2007, 08:29 PM (1,235 Views)
Cyclonus
Starter
http://www.orlandosentinel.com/sports/orl-...0,4816290.story

Power forward Darko Milicic never will play for the Orlando Magic this season or any other "as long as Otis Smith is general manager," an irate Marc Cornstein, told the Sentinel.

Late Tuesday, shortly after the Magic withdrew their qualifying offer to Milicic -- whom Smith had said was a priority before the free-agent courting period began -- Cornstein blasted Smith for being a "liar." He called Smith's handling of his client "deceitful, disrespectful and a disgrace."
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top
 
TheFalcon
Member Avatar
Air Gortat
Ouch.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top
 
Ben Q Rock
Member Avatar
3QC
Wow. Wow.

Wow.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top
 
MagicMadness
Member Avatar

Administrator
*Darko smacks forehead then looks at his agent*

"When the f**k did I say that?!?!?"
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top
 
GoMaGicVR6
Member Avatar
Starter
i guess no more darko at blu martini. funny kid, oh well.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top
 
Ben Q Rock
Member Avatar
3QC
Good luck playing for crappy teams, I guess.

The Bucks, Bobcats, and Grizzlies are the only teams that can offer him the money he wants. The Bulls can do it also, but they'd have to renounce the rights to Andres Nocioni, and they don't want to do that. Basically, he's going to have to take less money and not be a star.

I'm sure Otis really wants to keep Darko around, but he's obviously rubbed Cornstein the wrong way. Cornstein really seems like a jerk. He's played up Darko's value in the media, saying 25 teams had contacted him; and he's played up the fact that the Magic didn't call at 12:01.

Watch Darko get a $5 M deal from an average team -- the Hornets, for instance -- have a crappy season, then fire Cornstein and sign with the Magic at the next opportunity. :lol:
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top
 
TheFalcon
Member Avatar
Air Gortat
He's going to get stuck with a one-year deal for the mid-level exception. His problem stems from the fact that, so far, he is an 8-5 player, yet he wants to be the focal point of an offense. What right does he have to demand that?

I don't care if he feels unappreciated or underused or whatever. We all heard the same sad lines from Deshawn Stevenson. If he gets his ego under control, he'll be much better off.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top
 
Ben Q Rock
Member Avatar
3QC
I don't think it's Milicic saying this stuff about Smith. I think it's his agent. I mean, yeah, it's Darko wanting to be a superstar, but it's Cornstein making these proclamations about not playing for Otis Smith and all that.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top
 
The Archduke
Member Avatar
Sixth Man
As far as I am concerned, start looking for another PF/C in FA now. Or see maybe if you can work Wilcox in the S & T. Milicic may have a high ceiling, but in no way should Otis or the Magic put up with an ego after all the inconsistency we've seen out of Darko. The fact is this kid should be kissing booty after how LOW his stock was coming out of Detroit, where he was busy picking pine needles out of the assistant's rears. This team showed he had skills to showcase. Those skills aren't worth $10 mil. At least not yet.

Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top
 
TheFalcon
Member Avatar
Air Gortat
Ben Q Rock
Jul. 3 2007 08:05 PM
I don't think it's Milicic saying this stuff about Smith. I think it's his agent. I mean, yeah, it's Darko wanting to be a superstar, but it's Cornstein making these proclamations about not playing for Otis Smith and all that.

Yea, I know. But prior to these last few hours, we've heard Milicic say numerous times (often through his agent) that he'd like to go somewhere where the offense will run through him. It's this kind of attitude, in my opinion, which ruins young players. He's certainly not as good as he thinks he is.

Lately his agent has been drumming up all kinds of other complaints. I have to believe that his comments are in accord with the Milicic's feelings on these issues. Either way, they are both coming across as tools.

Regardless, I don't think this kind of talk is going to help Darko land his dream job. If he doesn't give a little on his demands, he will end up underpaid as opposed to overpaid.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top
 
TheFalcon
Member Avatar
Air Gortat
The Archduke
Jul. 3 2007 08:26 PM
As far as I am concerned, start looking for another PF/C in FA now. Or see maybe if you can work Wilcox in the S & T. Milicic may have a high ceiling, but in no way should Otis or the Magic put up with an ego after all the inconsistency we've seen out of Darko. The fact is this kid should be kissing booty after how LOW his stock was coming out of Detroit, where he was busy picking pine needles out of the assistant's rears. This team showed he had skills to showcase. Those skills aren't worth $10 mil. At least not yet.

I'm with you all the way.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top
 
gomagic33
Member Avatar
Mr. Anderson
I'm not sure I really like us to keep Darko now. If he doesn't want to be in Orlando then let him go. It's just that how this has blown over is not good PR. Otis should have called him or his agent - offer them a token contract or something, if they don't agree then it's out of Otis' hands. But the non-call was just surprising - what was Otis strategy?

One thing is sure though, just landing Rashard is not enough. We need help on the frontcourt. So we still need to free up space to fill those position.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top
 
zuppafly
Member Avatar
Drafting Marbury + Foyle = Championship. \o/
The Archduke
Jul. 4 2007 01:26 AM
As far as I am concerned, start looking for another PF/C in FA now. Or see maybe if you can work Wilcox in the S & T. Milicic may have a high ceiling, but in no way should Otis or the Magic put up with an ego after all the inconsistency we've seen out of Darko. The fact is this kid should be kissing booty after how LOW his stock was coming out of Detroit, where he was busy picking pine needles out of the assistant's rears. This team showed he had skills to showcase. Those skills aren't worth $10 mil. At least not yet.

Agreed.
Now that it's almost certain that we won't have Darko here anymore let's just pray that Otis works out that sign and trade and we get enough cap to make an offer to a guy like Varejão (yeah, I like his game a lot).
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top
 
The Archduke
Member Avatar
Sixth Man
gomagic33
Jul. 3 2007 08:44 PM
I'm not sure I really like us to keep Darko now. If he doesn't want to be in Orlando then let him go. It's just that how this has blown over is not good PR. Otis should have called him or his agent - offer them a token contract or something, if they don't agree then it's out of Otis' hands. But the non-call was just surprising - what was Otis strategy?

One thing is sure though, just landing Rashard is not enough. We need help on the frontcourt. So we still need to free up space to fill those position.

They made him a qualifying offer. I'm not sure what that means, exactly (someone enlighten me, I don't mind being clueless from time to time), but it should mean something. This "agent" should understand how business works. Not calling Darko is one way to see what his market value is. If they don't come back with offers, maybe no one's biting the $10 million dollar bait. <_<
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top
 
TheFalcon
Member Avatar
Air Gortat
I couldn't tell you all the ramifications of extending a qualifying offer, but I'm pretty sure that regardless of it's purpose, it has since been rescinded.

I think it just means that we've put our low-ball offer on the table, which keeps Milicic as a restricted free agent. After that initial offer, we have the right to match any other offers. If you don't make an initial offer, or you take it off the table (as we did), you lose your matching right and the player becomes an unrestricted free agent. Or something like that.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top
 
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · Orlando Magic Locker Room · Next Topic »
Add Reply