Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
CLICK HERE to see new posts in last 24 hours
Mark all forums read
Welcome to Locate and Cement - Plastic Model Kit Review, Advice and Exchange of ideas.. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Airfix 1/72 Supermarine Swift FR.5
Topic Started: Aug 4 2018, 02:09 PM (66 Views)
Grant
Member Avatar
Italian correspondent
[ *  *  * ]
Here is the Airfix 1/72nd Supermarine Swift FR.5. The pilot is from the spares box and the seatbelts are Tamiya masking tape. The model is held onto the pole with strong button magnets, 2 inside the fuselage and 2 at the top of the pole.

The kit went together well, but the decals caused a bit of a scare. They were quite thick and had a matt finish and any water that trickled off of them left a white, matt, residue on the model, which I couldn’t wash off. Luckily, sealing them in with a gloss varnished covered any matt marks and all looks good now.

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Goto Top

peebeep
Member Avatar
Lots Of Trouble Usually Serious
[ *  *  * ]
Very nicely done Grant, that's a good scaleish gloss finish. I must invest in some of those magnets some time.
Goto Top

Spad
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
[ *  *  * ]
Nice one Grant and as Paul says, nice gloss finish - get so fed up with flat matt finishes on models of glossy aircraft - nice to see a proper finish for a change.
Love the base also!
ATB
Rick
Goto Top

The Hooded Claw
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
[ *  *  * ]
Lovely model and presentation Grant.

I always thought that the Swift deserved to be a better aircraft than it was, after all it is a classically good looking airframe.

THC
Goto Top

peebeep
Member Avatar
Lots Of Trouble Usually Serious
[ *  *  * ]
The Hooded Claw
Aug 6 2018, 10:27 PM
I always thought that the Swift deserved to be a better aircraft than it was, after all it is a classically good looking airframe.

It looks great, had a good performance, but there's a quote from a former Swift pilot along the lines that he couldn't recall a single flight that didn't turn into a full blown emergency. Supermarine didn't make the transition into the jet age with a reliable aeroplane.
Goto Top

Grant
Member Avatar
Italian correspondent
[ *  *  * ]
Thanks folks.

Glossy and clean I can do, weathering is still something I have to master. Luckily "factory fresh" was a suitable finish for this one!!
Goto Top

« Previous Topic · Ready for Inspection · Next Topic »

Friends of Locate & Cement
Skin created by Nikku from Zathyus Networks Resources