Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
CLICK HERE to see new posts in last 24 hours
Mark all forums read
Welcome to Locate and Cement - Plastic Model Kit Review, Advice and Exchange of ideas.. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Chance Vought F4U-1B Corsair 'Royal Navy'; 1/72 (03917)
Topic Started: Jul 23 2018, 08:57 PM (60 Views)
peebeep
Member Avatar
Lots Of Trouble Usually Serious
[ *  *  * ]
Chance Vought F4U-1B Corsair 'Royal Navy'

The 'bent wing bird from Connecticut' is instantly recognisable to warbird fans all over the world and I always look forward to the sight and sound of Corsairs on any trip to Duxford flying days and enthusiasts jostle with each other to get photos of them on the flightline walks. In flight, it's performance and handling capabilities are clearly visible and it seems to be a popular mount amongst the warbird pilot fraternity. This latest release from Revell is based upon the kits recently released, 03983 and 03955. The kits share common runners with smaller and interchangeable runners providing alternative parts to cater for the different versions depicted. I was particularly interested in this one because is depicts a Royal Navy Corsair, which has been quite neglected by the kit manufacturers over the years in 1/72 (and also 1/48), apart from a relatively clumsy and indeterminate offering from Frog shortly before they went bust and a 'birdcage' edition from Hasegawa. In actual fact the RN must take credit for demonstrating that it was actually possible to operate the aircraft off carriers at a time when the USN/USMC had all but given up on the idea.

Posted Image

I don't normally get picky about box art and this one is reasonably attractive and eye catching within its own right, but RN Corsairs in what I always thought was the Home Fleet scheme dispatching a Zero? Also I would take issue with the wing roundels, but more of that later. Revell lable the kit as a F4U-1B, whereas it should really be FG-1D/Corsair IV. The boxes for these entry level kits are quite small and therefore the contents appear to be quite 'busy'.

Posted Image

In fact even folded in half, the A4 format instructions barely fit. On to the plastic, Runner 'A':

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Reverse shot of the fuselage and wing to show the interior ribbing. This is very faint in the cockpit, but this is in order for the side consoles to fit easily:

Posted Image

Close up on the engine and gear doors:

Posted Image

Runner 'B' contains the required three blade prop (there is a question mark whether it's the right type, but the differences are small) and cowling parts required for this version:

Posted Image

Runner 'C' contains the all important wing tips. This is what sets apart RN Corsairs from other users, they had clipped wings in order that the aircraft fit a standard British carrier deck lift:

Posted Image

Runner 'D' is common from the other kits and contains wheels and fuel tanks. My references indicate that RN aircraft were most likely to be fitted with a smaller centreline tank. Another option would be a pair of bombs fitted to the hard points, British pattern 250lb or 500lb - a Typhoon kit might yield suitable weapons:

Posted Image

Runner 'E' contains the transparencies, these are well moulded, free from flaws and distortion:

Posted Image

Runner 'F' contains the remaining wing, fuselage and tailplane parts:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

The decals are well printed and contain the instrument panels, consoles and representative seat belts. In my opinion at this scale and with the hood closed this is perfectly satisfactory:

Posted Image

In respect of the plastic components, the other releases have been reviewed previously and there is little to add, other than that the supplied wing tips allow you to build a RN Corsair out of the box. I'll add a little more, the only parts that contain any noticeable flash are the cowling gills and one fuselage piece, but these shouldn't take long to clean up. Panel line detail is very fine, enthusiasts of pin or weathering washed might find them a little too fine. Such fabric surfaces as the Corsair has are very reasonably represented. Unless you want bells and whistles in the form of PE and/or resin, the cockpit is very nicely done. You might be tempted to replace the wheels with resin parts, but I find them perfectly satisfactory. Now that I've had another look with the alternative wing tips I can see that there is some logic behind the breakdown, but it still leaves you with an awkward joint to fill on a fabric depicted surface. One thing I get from the feel of the mating surfaces is that some time spent deburring in advance of assembly will probably be time well spent and the mouldings still have a 'soft' feel to them that will require careful assembly to get the best out of the kit.

Instructions are in the colour A4 format that we now come to expect. I would mention that the internal painting directions in this one seem to be more comprehensive than usual (or maybe I've not been paying enough attention recently). Here's a few samples, plus what is for me the slightly contentious paint guide:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

The only issue I have is with the upper wing roundels. These are provided on the decal sheet as Type 'B', whereas I suspect that at the time the aircraft were painted overall blue they would have been Type 'C'. It's possible that whoever developed the scheme for the kit has a reference photo of KD344 - I don't. There is however the example of KD431 that resides at the Fleet Air Arm museum that still appears to be wearing its original scheme that includes large Type 'C' upper wing roundels, in fact it appears they are the original Type 'B' with the white ring over-painted - see here: https://c1.staticflickr.com/1/726/20444814550_bce89f2c7a_b.jpg Whilst viewing that image you might take note pof the very low contrast between the airfame blue and the roundel blue.

Criticisms aside, I'm rather glad Revell have released this kit, it does offer RN/FAA fans an out of the box Corsair that has been sadly lacking previously. Personally I'd be tempted to look for an optional scheme, maybe a Tirpitz raider, or a Pacific Fleet scheme, although the overall blue does look very smart. Fly Navy!

Review sample courtesy of Revell.

Link to instructions

Revell model kits are available from all good toy and model retailers.
For details visit:

Revell Website

Revell Facebook
Goto Top

« Previous Topic · Aircraft · Next Topic »

Friends of Locate & Cement
Skin created by Nikku from Zathyus Networks Resources