Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
CLICK HERE to see new posts in last 24 hours
Mark all forums read
Welcome to Locate and Cement - Plastic Model Kit Review, Advice and Exchange of ideas.. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Revell Haunebu; 1/72 03903
Topic Started: Jul 11 2018, 10:35 PM (105 Views)
peebeep
Member Avatar
Lots Of Trouble Usually Serious
[ *  *  * ]
Haunebu II Flying Saucer

After the brouhaha, here it is. I picked up an alert from Facebook that Hobbycraft were stocking it, notwithstanding previous reports of the kit being withdrawn. There was one left on the shelf at my local Hobbycraft, so I grabbed it quick. There's not a lot to say about it really, so in the main I'll let the pictures do that talking. Obviously (or so you would have thought), this is a completely fictitious craft, seemingly inspired by Adamski ufology and very much similar in appearance to the Panamarenko sketches. It's quite possible Revell had the Iron Sky film in mind when they decided to issue this kit, but the saucer in the kit is quite a bit different from the Iron Sky CGI. The kit is actually a re-box of the Hand & Head kit released in 2014 (also it can be found in a Wave boxing from the same year). For the record there are 1/144 kits by Anigrand, Pegasus Hobbies and Unicraft, plus 1/72 kits by Bird Models, Squadron (two versions in separate issues), as well as the aforementioned Hand & Head/Wave and no Revell kits. Phew! Having said there's not a lot to say I've said quite a lot, so whilst in full-on chat mode let's get a few more things out of the way. There's no point in discussing accuracy, it's fictitious, but it does closely resemble a lot of the images you see of Adamski saucers, so if you want to bin the Luft '46 decals and build a model with little green men, the cosmos is the limit. The decals are very nicely printed and allow for two options that look quite credible (an important point for me personally in respect of whiffery) and I love that the artist had sufficient sense of humour to include 'Red 46' as one of the options. Nice one! The decals also include seat belts and panels for the interior. The kit is detailed and moulded very nicely, however a lot of the detail will be lost forever once it's cemented together, although the instructions indicate the roof of the saucer as 'do not cement' so that it can be removed for viewing the interior. Enough waffle, here's the pics.

Posted Image
Tamiya pot included for scale

Posted Image
I didn't think there'd be that many components, but the box is pretty much full of parts

Posted Image
Runner 'A'. The runners are in multiples as indicated. Parts enclosed in the yellow rectangles are not required

Posted Image
Runner 'B', two illustrated to show both sides of the parts

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image
Runner 'C'

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image
Runner 'D'

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

That's the plastic, here are the decals

Posted Image

Finally, some pages from the instructions in the now familiar colour booklet and the colour schemes

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

This is a difficult product to summarise. Luft '46/whiffery/space/sci-fi is a bit of a Marmite thing, you might love it, you might hate it. Over the last few years I've come to embrace anything that's off the wall and this definitely ticks that particular box. I can disregard it as Luft '46 because for me it's firmly in the space/sci-fi bracket, it just happens to come with Luftwaffe scheme whif options in this instance. The package itself looks to be very well executed and should provide some good bench time. A few will likely draw a sharp intake of breath at the RRP (GBP 50.00 in the UK), but you pays yer money and takes yer choice. One other thing in respect of cost, Revell list 18 paints required to finish in their scheme options, so that is something else to take into account, although many modellers will likely have a lot of the required colours on their paint racks. Recommended to hardcore space/sci-fi fans.

Review sample courtesy of my wallet.

Link to instructions

Revell model kits are available from all good toy and model retailers.
For details visit:

Revell Website

Revell Facebook
Goto Top

Diesel Gypsy
Member Avatar
Somerset Bumpkin.
[ *  *  * ]
That looks interesting, you could have a lot of fun with that. :like:
Goto Top

chadders
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
[ *  *  * ]
I couldnít agree more about the price point. I bought both the Hand & Head versions (Haunebu and Adamski) for a combined cost of less than £50 when they came out, and they came with lots of box candy (stickers, posters etc). Unfortunatly itís not just Revell. Look at the 1:350 Polar Lights refit Enterprise for example. On its last release it was about £100 and came with aztecing decals. In its latest guise itís £140 and you have to buy the decals for an extra £80! Iím starting to think that most new kits are becoming more and more out of reach to me.
Goto Top

« Previous Topic · Space/Sci-Fi · Next Topic »

Friends of Locate & Cement
Skin created by Nikku from Zathyus Networks Resources