Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
CLICK HERE to see new posts in last 24 hours
Mark all forums read
Welcome to Locate and Cement - Plastic Model Kit Review, Advice and Exchange of ideas.. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
PzKpfw II Ausf.L. Luchs; 1:72 Scale (03266)
Topic Started: Jul 9 2018, 01:12 PM (26 Views)
Johni044
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
[ *  *  * ]
PzKpfw II Ausf.L.Luchs
1:72 Scale

Posted Image

Background
Initially designed as a stop gap until the larger and more capable tanks were to become available, the Panzer II was to play a considerable part in the Polish and French campaigns at the outset of WWII being the most numerous tank available to the German forces, it went on to also serve in the North Africa and on the Eastern Front.

Removed from front line service by the end of 1942 a lot of the chassis were converted to either Wespe self propelled gun, or the Marder II Tank Destroyer. Redundant turrets were used on specially designed bunkers primarily on the Atlantic wall.

This kit is of the PzKpfw II Ausf L Luchs (Lynx) which was light reconnaissance version and is readily identifiable as it the only mark of the PzII to have overlapping road wheels and a “slack track”, 100 were built between 1943 and 1944 plus four conversions from Ausf M models. It was slightly larger in most dimensions (length 4.63 m; height 2.21 m; width 2.48 m). Total weight was 11.8 tonnes with a maximum speed of 60 kph (37 mph) and a range of 290 km (180 miles).

Armament consisted of 20mm and 7.92mm guns with 330 and 2,250 rounds of ammunition being carried for each gun respectively. Given the reconnaissance role, communications were FuG 12 and FuG Spr radios were fitted.

The Kit

Posted Image

This kit is a re-box of the 2016 MACO original, kit number 7220, the 66 parts come on two gates of light grey styrene together with instruction booklet and decals. The finished kit will be some 6.5cm long.

The Plastic

Inspection of the plastic reveals minimal flash, most prominent are inside the two slots above the engine, however covers go over these so this will not be seen, some of the smaller pieces of track do have a slight amount of flash on them which I would certainly clean off prior to assembly to avoid alignment problems.

Ejection marks are restricted to inner surfaces only so should present no problems

Sprue A

This gate contains the main body/turret and inner road wheels of the tank. The gun is pre-moulded into the turret gauntlet so the turret will rotate but the gun will not elevate.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Sprue B

Contains drive train, Road wheels and tracks. Of note are the top tracks (parts 15) with come with a moulded in sag to give the slack track appearance mentioned above.

Posted Image

Posted Image

In Detail

I hope the following few pictures enable you to see some of the fine raised and engraved details provided on the parts of this kit, my only concern would be removing some of the parts from the sprue

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Decals
What decals there are are in perfect register with good colour definition as you would expect from newer Revell being produced in Italy (Cartograph).

Posted Image

Markings are for:
Overall White+ Red 001, Ranzer-Aufklarungs-Abteilung 4, 4 Panzerdivision, Kurland, Winter 1944/1945.

Green over Sand Red 4121, Panzer-Aufklarungs-Alteilung 9, 9 Panzedivision, Unternehmen Zitadelle, Orjol, Summer 1943.

Instructions

Posted Image

Construction is detailed through 18 assembly stages plus two of painting and markings. Instructions are in the new all colour format.

Colour call outs are in Revell colours only, namely:
Common colours:
382 Wood Brown
09 Anthracite
83 Rust
91 Iron

Specific
Version A
05 White

Version B
16 Sand
67 Greenish Grey
84 Leather Brown

Link to Instructions

Conclusions

This is a nicely moulded model of this lesser used version of the PzKpfw II. The skill level is marked as 4, although there are not that many pieces, given the care required to remove the parts from the gates I think this skill rating is justified. The kit will be 6.5cm in length when built so should hardly cause storage problems. I am sure with care this will make up to be a good representaion of the original.

My only concern would be the price, suggested retail is £17.99 although there are discounts available by some on-line retailers. If you are in the market for armour in this scale, this is a kit which from initial inspection I can highly recommend.

Revell model kits are available from all good toy and model retailers.
For details visit ;

Revell Website

Revell Facebook

Goto Top

peebeep
Member Avatar
Lots Of Trouble Usually Serious
[ *  *  * ]
Thanks for posting John, I do like the look of these ex-MACO kits. It may be just me, but whoever designed them seems to have been taking a close look at old Matchbox AFV kits.
Goto Top

« Previous Topic · Armour · Next Topic »

Friends of Locate & Cement
Skin created by Nikku from Zathyus Networks Resources