Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
CLICK HERE to see new posts in last 24 hours
Mark all forums read
Welcome to Locate and Cement - Plastic Model Kit Review, Advice and Exchange of ideas.. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Simpson's 737
Topic Started: May 22 2018, 10:33 PM (71 Views)
Spad
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
[ *  *  * ]
Allow me to present one of a pair of 737-300 models built for a Group Build recently. I am not normally an airliner builder but I do find them interesting and this one was a long term ambition of mine after seeing the kit/decal sheet combo built somewhere. I tried for many years to get a copy of the decal sheet and finally I saw it re-printed and I caught the release before it sold out.
For those unfamiliar with it, Daco is a brand owned and run by Danny Coreman of Belgium, best known for F-16 and F-104 decals, upgrades and reference materials. He does however have a pretty sharp line in 737 kits and it is one of these I have built here. The kit is very detailed and accurate and is offered with a generic decal sheet absolutely ram-packed full of stencils, windows and doors, and wing Coroguard and NMF leading edges etc. You need to source your own livery decals and here again Daco steps forward with an extensive range of sheets.
Western Pacific (now sadly defunct) operated out of Colorado for barely 3 years but in that time brought some serious colour to the skies by turning their aircraft into flying bill-boards; with this one they were sponsored by Fox who brought the Simpsons characters to the livery. The decals were designed for Daco's own kit and I have to say these were probably the best fitting decal sheets I have ever used. The kit went together a treat though some fun was had with the wing/fuselage joint - easily solved with a bit of careful sanding and scraping. The Simpson's sheet also came with a small etched fret for the various aerials and sensor heads that adorn a 737. The kit includes a separate clear cockpit area which requires a bit of cutting but this is simplified by thinned areas on the inside surface. I took the opportunity to use this and scratch-build some cockpit detail - seeing the end result I am not so sure it was a smart move as nothing can be seen of the interior! Oh well, live and learn!
Sorry if I got carried away here but, as you can probably tell, I was pretty impressed with this litte kit. Since my last experience of a 1/144 airliner was from the 70s with one of Airfix's Skyking range I was amazed by the detail and refinement - airliner kits have come a long way since then!
For painting I used Daco's own Simpson's Yellow and WestPac Blue (produced by Xtracolor) and for the wings/tailplanes I took the advice of the airliner boys and used Halfords Racking Grey as a good match for Boeing Grey
Anyway, enough waffle, here are the pics - hope you enjoy looking as much as I enjoyed building.
Comment and criticism welcome as always.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Thanks for looking
ATB
Rick
Goto Top

peebeep
Member Avatar
Lots Of Trouble Usually Serious
[ *  *  * ]
I'm not a big airliner fan, but that livery is fab!
Goto Top

Jelly071
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
[ *  *  * ]
Nice i like that
Goto Top

Grant
Member Avatar
Italian correspondent
[ *  *  * ]
Ha! What a colourful scheme. The kit looks a good rendition of a 737 (to my untutored eyes) and the colour scheme - WoW!!
Goto Top

Spad
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
[ *  *  * ]
Grant
May 23 2018, 07:44 PM
The kit looks a good rendition of a 737
Thanks chaps and yes Grant, it seems to me to really capture the shapes on the 737
Goto Top

« Previous Topic · Ready for Inspection · Next Topic »

Friends of Locate & Cement
Skin created by Nikku from Zathyus Networks Resources