Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
CLICK HERE to see new posts in last 24 hours
Mark all forums read
Welcome to Locate and Cement - Plastic Model Kit Review, Advice and Exchange of ideas.. We hope you enjoy your visit.


You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.


Join our community!


If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Trumpeter Westland Wyvern S.4; What will be a complete build of the Kit - hopefully
Topic Started: Apr 22 2018, 07:51 PM (181 Views)
toboldlygo
Member
[ *  * ]
Greetings to those who know me from the RMWEB & Airfix forum's, for those who don't I'm toboldlygo (james_mower) - a modeler of many years (nearly 40 :O )
and currently in between OO Gauge Locomotive & Rolling stock commissions, I build aircraft kits of various scales and era's.

I actually worked in the Aircraft industry (the last Tinsmith as I like to be remembered) and built Harrier's (leaping heaps) for nearly 11 years, but also during that time got the privelage to work on the Hunter, Sea Hawk, Hawk, Tornado, Typhoon, Firefly & P1127.

Anyhow that's enough of an introduction - here's the first part of my build of the Trumpeter Westland Wyvern S.4..

Making a cameo, as another build was completed..

Posted Image

Cockpit assembled, fuselage interior painted and prop assembly assembled and part painted

Posted Image

Cockpit, camera & tailwheel (partially) installed and props two-thirds painted.

Posted Image

Fuselage closed up, center section of the wings installed.

Posted Image

More parts installed (next two photo's) and some paint applied

Posted Image


Posted Image

More parts assembled, including the tailplanes, flaps, aerial torpedo, some of the rockets and flaps.

Posted Image

The RATOG's* assembled & test fitted, main undercarriage wheels also assembled.

Posted Image

Until next time TBG

*Rocket Assisted Take off Gear

Goto Top
 
peebeep
Member Avatar
Lots Of Trouble Usually Serious
[ *  *  * ]
Hi James, :welcome: to L & C!

That looks to be shaping up quite nicely, I'll look forward to more progress.
Goto Top
 
Grant
Member Avatar
Italian correspondent
[ *  *  * ]
Hi James. I could see me breaking props blades if I had to fix the front end to the fuselage so early in the build. Good luck!
Goto Top
 
toboldlygo
Member
[ *  * ]
Grant
Apr 23 2018, 05:53 PM
Hi James. I could see me breaking props blades if I had to fix the front end to the fuselage so early in the build. Good luck!
Due to the complexity of the props and their innards (17 parts in total) - it has to be done, fortunately the plastic Trumpeter use in very flexible (unlike some manufacturer's use).
Edited by toboldlygo, Apr 24 2018, 12:18 PM.
Goto Top
 
toboldlygo
Member
[ *  * ]
peebeep
Apr 23 2018, 09:15 AM
Hi James, :welcome: to L & C!

That looks to be shaping up quite nicely, I'll look forward to more progress.
Thanks Paul,

It appeared to be a never ending build of sub-assemblies until today when I started airbrushing the wings and tailplanes. Trouble is it's been so long since I built the prop assembly - I forgot which UK Grey I'd used!
Goto Top
 
toboldlygo
Member
[ *  * ]
Some progress has been made, but firstly an image I missed out.

The diff that allows the props to rotate

Posted Image

Some paint applied at last

Posted Image

Sitting on her undercarriage (temporarily)

Posted Image
Goto Top
 
Grant
Member Avatar
Italian correspondent
[ *  *  * ]
Looking a mean beast already!
Goto Top
 
toboldlygo
Member
[ *  * ]
Grant
Apr 24 2018, 08:05 PM
Looking a mean beast already!
It is a beast, makes the Sea Fury look quite dainty ;)

The fuselage finally has paint on it now - once I'd figured out how to best mask the props (it currently drying in my repaired spray booth)

BTW I got carried away and brought the Trumpeter Supermarine Attacker & Hawker Sea Hawk in 1/48th scale too.
Goto Top
 
toboldlygo
Member
[ *  * ]
Lots of Sky type S paint has been used.

Posted Image
Goto Top
 
toboldlygo
Member
[ *  * ]
After a set of shifts at work, more progress..

Rockets & undercarriage (main & tailwheel) doors painted.

Posted Image

The lengthy task of masking the fuselage up - sponsored by Tamiya lol

Posted Image
Goto Top
 
toboldlygo
Member
[ *  * ]
A busy day at the workbench..

Masking removed, some touching up of paint required

Posted Image

Painting the undercarriage bays and wing spars and fitting of the flaps.

Posted Image

Undercarriage & doors fitted.

Posted Image

Sitting on her undercarriage and tail-planes fitted (with support so they dry in the correct place)

Posted Image

Still some assembly needed and still parts to paint!!

Posted Image
Goto Top
 
peebeep
Member Avatar
Lots Of Trouble Usually Serious
[ *  *  * ]
Looking very good, the decals will really bring it to life.
Goto Top
 
Grant
Member Avatar
Italian correspondent
[ *  *  * ]
What Paul said!!
Goto Top
 
toboldlygo
Member
[ *  * ]
peebeep
May 3 2018, 11:03 PM
Looking very good, the decals will really bring it to life.
It certainly does, but more on that later in the post ;)

Test fit of the wings

Posted Image

Decals done, need to let them dry before final assembly..

Posted Image

RATOG's and an Aerial Torpedo - a dangerous mix!

Posted Image
Goto Top
 
toboldlygo
Member
[ *  * ]
Busy day and one complete plane..

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Till the next non-Airfix build TBG
Goto Top
 
« Previous Topic · Work in Progress Aircraft · Next Topic »

Friends of Locate & Cement
Skin created by Nikku from Zathyus Networks Resources