Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
CLICK HERE to see new posts in last 24 hours
Mark all forums read
Welcome to Locate and Cement - Plastic Model Kit Review, Advice and Exchange of ideas.. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Kenworth Honest John missile transporter; Revell "Classic" 1/54 scale
Topic Started: Apr 20 2018, 05:14 PM (55 Views)
Spad
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
[ *  *  * ]
Hello all

Been a bit off-piste recently

So, what we have here is one of Revell's re-treads of an existing set of moulds re-cycled into some other application - they're so good at that! I found it in the local shop with a giant reduction on it and it really appealed. I am always attracted to a mix of military with a good splash of colour applied - here I even found chrome!
It seems to be a pretty old kit with much flash (even mould damage?) which builds into something that I think is only a representation of the real thing. I did not find any pics of this as a full-size arrangement so maybe not accurate - but who cares!?! It's a fun build - I had a blast with it - even the engine hood opens for heaven's sake!

Painted with a mix of White Ensign Green, Tamiya Italian Red and K-Color Chrome it is built pretty much from the box with the only refinements being the addition of glazing and some work on the roof horn for which I opened out the trumpet as it was moulded solid.

I was really looking forwards to trying out my new favourite game of using oils to create wood-grain on the shipping crates - they probably would have used new, lighter coloured wood but as I thought the missile may have been shipped in dedicated boxes rather than open sided crates, I went with something I thought would be more attractive to the eye than "strictly accurate".

Anyway, enough waffle, here are the pics - hope you enjoy as much as I did building it! comments and criticism welcome in equal measure.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Thanks for looking.

ATB
Rick
Goto Top

peebeep
Member Avatar
Lots Of Trouble Usually Serious
[ *  *  * ]
What an interesting build and very nicely done. It's had me reaching for my Revell 'bible' and it's listed as H-1821 at 1/48 scale, released 1959-60. The truck was modified from H-1403 Kenworth Bekins Van 'S', similarly at 1/48 scale, released in 1956-7. Early boxes don't indicate scale (unless it's on the sides which is rarely pictured) and references to 1/54 seem to stem from the Revell GmbH 'Classic' limited edition release - maybe somebody actually measured it?!
Goto Top

Grant
Member Avatar
Italian correspondent
[ *  *  * ]
Now that is different. Nicely done.
Goto Top

« Previous Topic · Ready for Inspection · Next Topic »

Friends of Locate & Cement
Skin created by Nikku from Zathyus Networks Resources