Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
CLICK HERE to see new posts in last 24 hours
Mark all forums read
Welcome to Locate and Cement - Plastic Model Kit Review, Advice and Exchange of ideas.. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Mini Art 1/35 Flettner Fl 282 Kolibri
Topic Started: Jan 24 2018, 12:12 AM (73 Views)
peebeep
Member Avatar
Lots Of Trouble Usually Serious
[ *  *  * ]
Flettner Fl 282

The Fl 282 was one of the earlier practicable helicopter designs as we know them, although it's intermeshing rotor layout would prove to be unconventional as designers settled on the single rotor with tail mounted anti-torque rotor as the go-to configuration. It was also one of the earliest to achieve series production, but not in any great numbers. It was mainly used as a light utility (ship to ship and ship to shore) and for reconnaissance and artillery observation. Whilst it's easy to see why the Fl 282 was named 'Kolibri' (hummingbird) due to its ability to hover and perform unlike any other fixed wing aircraft, it lacked somewhat the looks of its avian namesake.

Although there have been kits previously issued in 1/72 and 1/48, this is the first kit to be released in 'armour scale' 1/35. I first saw the kit when it was on display at Scale Model World 2017 and have been awaiting somewhat eagerly awaiting its release, because what was on show looked extremely impressive. The box was a bit bigger than I was expecting and indeed the parts could have fitted into something half the size. The box art is competent without being overly impressive, but this is the sort of kit that's only likely to appeal to enthusiasts who won't be too fussed about box art.

On to the contents. When you spread everything out you suddenly realise there is much more to this kit than meets the eye. There are dozens of fine, intricate and beautifully moulded parts. The mouldings are incredibly clean, which given the challenges involved in engineering this kit is a tribute to all the people involved. Removal and clean up will need to be done very carefully, also applications of cement will need to be minimal. I have micro saws, diamond files and a needle cement applicator, they will get put to use in building this kit. The plastic components exhibit fine details as you'd expect, including the pilots station (can you call it a cockpit?), rotor heads and engine, the latter which sadly will not be greatly visible. The rotor blades have droop moulded in, so there's nothing to worry about with that. The plastic is supplemented with two small transparencies (I haven't yet worked out where they go) and a small PE fret that features a very prominent looking seat harness. Decals are glossy and nicely printed, there being four scheme options. The sheet itself is small because each option uses the same codes(!), but you do get instrument dials and hakenkreuz (included as split items). The instructions are printed on good quality, glossy for the parts illustrating the schemes and matt for the rest. The pictorial assembly sequence is clearly printed and includes where these are not obvious from the colour guides. It goes without saying that the model will require very careful assembly and I would suggest if you wander off from the suggested sequence, there be dragons. So there you have it. Oh wait, here are some images:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

OK, now you do have it. This is a mightily impressive offering from Mini Art, by no means a five minute job, but patience should be rewarded with an exceptionally detailed and good looking model. There's no doubt that 1/35 scale suits the subject very well and the execution has been done with a certain amount of elan. I think the grey scheme with the dark stripe is most visually striking, wouldn't it look good on a sea-going helipad with some figures a la box art? RRP is 37.99 GBP which might cause an involuntary wallet flinch for a relatively small model. Shop around for a deal (I did) and don't wimp out! This is something that deserves a wide audience.
Goto Top

AndyT
Member Avatar
Sound the klaxon twice and dive the Submarine!
[ *  *  * ]
Hi Paul,
Well I can see this being on a certain ladies wish list. Good coverage of the kit - thank you
Goto Top

« Previous Topic · Aircraft · Next Topic »

Friends of Locate & Cement
Skin created by Nikku from Zathyus Networks Resources