Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
CLICK HERE to see new posts in last 24 hours
Mark all forums read
Welcome to Locate and Cement - Plastic Model Kit Review, Advice and Exchange of ideas.. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Great Wall Hobby 1/72 F-15E; L7201
Topic Started: Jan 21 2018, 09:04 PM (98 Views)
peebeep
Member Avatar
Lots Of Trouble Usually Serious
[ *  *  * ]
F-15E

I've had this kit a few months but not seen it reviewed anywhere, so I thought it might be worth an in-box here because this is (IMO) a very tasty kit. This is so far the only GWH release in 1/72, although I hear there's an F-14D in the pipeline. I have to admit that one of the reasons I bought this kit is down to the box art, it's one of those that shouts out 'buy me'. I had no idea what to expect, when it arrived you could say I was pleasantly surprised.

Posted Image

When the kit arrived I was amazed to see so many bits of plastic occupying a relatively small box. It's one of those kits that if you take all the runners out, you have a job working out how to fit them all back in.

Posted Image

All the parts are very finely detailed and there's some trick moulding to keep the tech minded happy, including a cool seamless intake. I'll shut up for a while and just let you look at the images.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

That's the aircraft bit. I hope the images convey the level of detail incorporated into all the plastic, there's been a lot of slide moulding used to make sure the detail appears on all faces and to get stuff right like the one piece intake trunking and the bubble section to the canopy. The latter does lead to one snag, it leaves you with a seam line that will need to be polished out, but you either get the seam line or a canopy that doesn't quite have the right cross-section. There's more to come, this kit comes with more stores than you can shake a stick at, but that will be in the next post.
Goto Top

peebeep
Member Avatar
Lots Of Trouble Usually Serious
[ *  *  * ]
Righty ho, here we go with Part II, lots of weapons, pods and tanks.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

The instructions come on a series of fold out sheets, slightly confusing when they're all bundled together, keep following the numbers (doh!). A slightly unusual monochrome 3D CAD style is employed, follow stuff carefully to avoid SNAFUs. Whilst the assembly instructions might be a bit confusing the weapons options for each scheme couldn't be clearer. Which ever option you go for, you'll still be left with a bundle of cool weapons to put in the spares box.

Posted Image

The painting guide is on glossy sheets, decisions, decisions, grey or grey?!

Posted Image

Posted Image

The decals are beautifully printed with what look like good, opaque colours. One sheet for generic items/stencils, another for the scheme options and missiles. I don't know why the little supplementary sheet of fin markings is added, they look identical to the options sheet and I can't find any reference to them in the instructions

Posted Image

This is a kit that looks fabulous in the box and if it builds as well as it looks it should be a stonker. Whilst not outrageously expensive it is not particularly cheap retailing at about 30.00 sovs, but shop around for deals. It certainly deserves to reach a wide market. Whilst I'm not a particular jet fan, kits of this quality will always pique my interest and I'll look forward to the F-14D.
Goto Top

Grant
Member Avatar
Italian correspondent
[ *  *  * ]
:like: Nice to see them doing stuff in a smaller scale, now the F14 would be a no brainer.
Goto Top

« Previous Topic · Aircraft · Next Topic »

Friends of Locate & Cement
Skin created by Nikku from Zathyus Networks Resources