Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
CLICK HERE to see new posts in last 24 hours
Mark all forums read
Welcome to Locate and Cement - Plastic Model Kit Review, Advice and Exchange of ideas.. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Revell Star Wars 1:14 X-34 Landspeeder Gift Set
Topic Started: Jun 25 2017, 11:35 PM (198 Views)
peebeep
Member Avatar
Lots Of Trouble Usually Serious
[ *  *  * ]
X-34 Landspeeder

Does any of the hardware from Star Wars need any introduction? OK, I remember the Landspeeder from Episode IV, way back in 1977. It is an intriguing little machine, a sort of two seat sports/tourer with the added pizazz of being able to hover and travel rapidly a metre above the ground. I wanted one then, now I have one of my own, albeit at a rather smaller 1:14 scale. I have to admit the box art left me a little underwhelmed, although it does perfectly convey what's inside the box, which is somewhat essential, this being a gift set. Luke's expression is slightly scary and whilst I can see that an image of the product needs to be representative of what an average punter might be able to achieve, the figures are a little undercooked compared to the Landspeeder itself.

Posted Image

This is quite a large (approximately 243mm long) model, but fairly basic mouldings and the relatively few main parts come on two large runners in a pale flesh colour that leaves you with an option for minimum painting should you so wish. The model itself was first released as recently as 2011 and the mouldings look in very good nick, cleanly presented, with no flash present. The main components are the tub and upper and lower halves, after that the rest is pretty much ancillary. There is no particularly fine detail, but this is representative of the film machine. As per the film the port engine pod is missing a panel and you get part of the engine visible with some reasonable plumbing to add and this is your best shot for adding some super detail should you wish. There are plenty of fan sites to look up for close up images for some inspiration. A stand is included for posing the model, although the more adventurous modellers might have a go at making a diorama base and conceal some magnets in the base and in the model so that it really does float in air. That would look rather spectacular. In the first picture here I've included one of the paint pots to give an indication of the size of the model

Posted Image

Posted Image

The windscreen transparency is superbly moulded, it is glossy in appearance, thin and completely free of distortion. The biggest challenge will be fitting it without spoiling it with any smeared cement or glue and then keeping it free from scratches (all the parts are in separate poly bags, so it should arrive in perfect nick). The decals are very nicely printed and supply all the tricky graphics, some placards for the passenger compartment and 'weathering'. The latter is an excellent idea, even old hands might find the weathering quite challenging to paint, let alone beginners and casual modellers, so the decals are a real boon in this respect. I was puzzled why the figures came separately, but then I realised they are one piece and handling them confirmed they are made in soft plastic/polyethylene. C3P0 looks quite convincing and requires the addition of some polystyrene parts from the main runners, so you will need a suitable glue that will adhere to soft plastic. Luke Skywalker has a very stern expression and a large shrink divot in his back, although the latter will be out of sight once he's fixed to the seat. The challenge will be in the painting, getting a good brass effect on C3P0 and avoiding the pop out eye effect on Luke as shown on the box art. Paint doesn't adhere too well to polyethylene, the perceived wisdom is that priming with PVA should fix this. I'm wondering if a hot solvent base primer such as Alclad II or Mr Surfacer might etch to the surface, something I might test out.

Posted Image

Being a gift set you get paints, a brush and a bottle of Contacta Professional Mini. I'm a big fan of Revell's Contacta cement, it works very well and the needle applicator means you should be able to get the right amount in the right place. I've no experience with Revell Aqua paints, but several of my modeller chums report on them favourably. The brush is a bit meh, just about fit for purpose, but old hands will probably bin it, or reserve it for washes and the like. On the subject of the paint, you get six mini pots for the use of, whereas sixteen colours are specified in the instructions and of all the paints specified you are required to mix four colours. The box does have a caveat about additional colours being required, but it is in the small print, so buyers need to be aware of this.

Posted Image

You also get a Star Wars poster. I like the poster but I'm going to have a bit of a whinge. I have two of these posters now, the first one from the Imperial Star Destroyer set was rolled up so tightly it was difficult to straighten out and led to a bodged attempt to encapsulate it successfully to use at shows. This one is not rolled up but folded, the fold line giving a very sharp and visible crease line. It's not the end of the world (Empire?!) and I have a better chance of laminating this one, but it is a niggle.

Posted Image

The instructions are what are now standard from Revell, well printed on good quality, if slightly thin, glossy paper, with explicit graphic steps and paint callouts through thirteen stages.

Posted Image

The paint and decal guide is comprehensive, as we have come to expect. As previously mentioned the decal graphics should simplify the painting/finishing of this model, although some of the graphics will require careful handling and positioning

Posted Image

To summarise, a very nice looking kit from Revell that even a beginner shouldn't have too much trouble putting together, decals notwithstanding. UK RRP is 29.99, perhaps a little on the high side, but shop around for deals. Highly recommended to all Star Wars fans, or anybody looking for a fun build for stress/ams busting.

Review sample courtesy of Revell.

Revell model kits are available from all good toy and model retailers.
For details visit:

Revell Website

Revell Facebook
Goto Top

Diesel Gypsy
Member Avatar
Somerset Bumpkin.
[ *  *  * ]
I can see me 'ol muckker AndyT :ahar: doing something illuminated and floaty with this kit. :yeahbaby:
Goto Top

peebeep
Member Avatar
Lots Of Trouble Usually Serious
[ *  *  * ]
Yep, he's da man for that sort of thing.
Goto Top

« Previous Topic · Space/Sci-Fi · Next Topic »

Friends of Locate & Cement
Skin created by Nikku from Zathyus Networks Resources