Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
CLICK HERE to see new posts in last 24 hours
Mark all forums read
Welcome to Locate and Cement - Plastic Model Kit Review, Advice and Exchange of ideas.. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Disney ~ Rocketeer; 1/4 scale vinyl figure
Topic Started: Jun 11 2015, 06:01 PM (1,198 Views)
AndyT
Member Avatar
Sound the klaxon twice and dive the Submarine!
[ *  *  * ]
Hi there, I got this figure when I was at SMW last year finally got the courage to start it.

There were no instructions and unpacking this kit I find that I am missing two parts, the barrel of the luger Mauser pistol and the fin for the helmet.
So these will have to be scratch built.

A bit of hunting on web gave me this to use as a guide;

Posted Image

This is a big kit and although it does not have too many parts it will be interesting especially when it comes to the back pack.

Posted Image

The first thing to do was reduce and remove some of the excess flash.
Waist and arms need a flange so as to fit into the torso - holes for the arm have to be cut.

When all of this has been done the vinyl has to be dipped into boiling water so that it can be softened and formed in to the pose and for balance.

The torso and back pack have some black marks within the vinyl - on closer inspection these seem to be tiny pockets of dirty water or oil.
So I am going to have to pierce them get the fluid out and then fill the void with some Vallejo Plastic putty before priming.

Posted Image

More soon

Edited by AndyT, Jun 11 2015, 06:19 PM.
Goto Top

Jelly071
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
[ *  *  * ]
I will keep an eye on this build
Edited by Jelly071, Jun 12 2015, 07:00 AM.
Goto Top

AndyT
Member Avatar
[ *  *  * ]
Been going some filling on the figure prior to priming.

Got round to the helmet and the missing fin.
Iain kindly lent me the Rocketeer DVD so I could use that as a closer reference.

From this I first made a number of card-stock templates.

Posted Image

Using the closest template I then attached it to the helmet for final fitting and adjustment.
Having got this trimmed up, I then used it to cut myself a new one from 1mm plasticard

Posted Image

Fitting it for trial again I could see that the curve in the bow of the fin still came too far forward so had to be trimmed again

Posted Image

Once I was happy with the over all look it was just a case of deciding which glue would be best to stick it on

Posted Image

Naturally there could only be one choice ~ Roket
Goto Top

AndyT
Member Avatar
[ *  *  * ]
The next job is to make a new barrel for the Mauser pistol.

I had no idea how big this was so I took a screen shot of one and pasted it into SketchUp.
Once there I was able to use the dimension tool to see how long the barrel is.

For those who may not have tried SketchUp it is an amazing free, easy to use bit of drawing software with plenty of YouTube tutorials if you need them.

Obviously the barrel is not 1.25m long but when this measurement is copied I was able to slide it about on the rest of the picture so I could measure against something that I had on the kit
Posted Image

Posted Image

The Barrel is made from some ally tube with a tiny slit in the end into which I added a brass sight.
The eagle eyed among you will have spotted the 1mm fibre optic - this goes down the arm and is glued into the barrel - this will provide the flash

Goto Top

peebeep
Member Avatar
Lots Of Trouble Usually Serious
[ *  *  * ]
This kit goes back a bit, I remember this being reviewed in Scale Models magazine, probably by Matt Irvine in nineteen ninety something. French curves, impressive Andy! I have a set somewhere, but they've been long redundant since I took up CAD. SketchUp is pretty powerful, I must get fluent with it some time.

peebeep
Goto Top

AndyT
Member Avatar
[ *  *  * ]
I to took up CAD but some times old school works best
Goto Top

peebeep
Member Avatar
Lots Of Trouble Usually Serious
[ *  *  * ]
There is no way you'd get me back to using tracing paper and Rotrings! The latter have all dried up solid in any case. I still have a number of stencils, circle/ellipse templates and of course the French curves that still get used for modelling on occasion.

peebeep
Goto Top

AndyT
Member Avatar
[ *  *  * ]
Oh I agree with but as you rightly perceive - when trying to recreate a shape, sometimes perspective has to be something that is viewed from all angles in reality to satisfy ones view on it.
Goto Top

AndyT
Member Avatar
[ *  *  * ]
Did a bit more today having let the primer dry for a day or three

Re-heated the arms and sockets so as to form a good fit and then glued them into place
Holding the arms to the torso with rubber bands.

Posted Image

Then followed by adding the legs making sure that I had threaded the fibre optic through.

Posted Image
Goto Top

Grant
Member Avatar
Italian correspondent
[ *  *  * ]
I find the A1 ships curve is a perfect fit to any helicopter performance data!

Like the fibre optic into the barrel, that should prove very effective.
Goto Top

AndyT
Member Avatar
[ *  *  * ]
Thanks Grant,

Been spending some time making a base from some scraps of MDF and glueing the bits together with PVA.

Posted Image

I have added edges to the base so it is hollow - this will let me put batteries and controller for the fibre optic.

Posted Image

Because of the height screwing through the base and into the shoes will add stability

Now time to prime and spray with a rock texture paint

Goto Top

AndyT
Member Avatar
[ *  *  * ]
Posted Image
Goto Top

AndyT
Member Avatar
[ *  *  * ]
Now to start on the figure painting.
first up the base coat of the skin tones

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Goto Top

AndyT
Member Avatar
[ *  *  * ]
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Goto Top

njhanc
Advanced Member
[ *  *  * ]
Good start on this one Andy. Will it just be the pistol flash, or do you have more surprises in store for the viewers?

Cheers,
Nick
Goto Top

foxy
Member Avatar
Happy modeler
[ *  *  * ]
Lights for the rockets I expect Nick, just firing up.
Green windows!!!!.

Looking good for an oldie kit Andy.

Of course some modification will be added,'yes'.

:like:

foxy :coolio:
Edited by foxy, Aug 27 2015, 08:04 PM.
Goto Top

AndyT
Member Avatar
[ *  *  * ]
Been a while since i did anything with this so pushed my self to finish it today

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Helmet can be on or off for display
Will do the led flash next time I get the soldering iron out.

Cheers
AndyT
Edited by AndyT, Sep 20 2015, 08:57 PM.
Goto Top

Grant
Member Avatar
Italian correspondent
[ *  *  * ]
That's one big figure! Very nice.
Goto Top

foxy
Member Avatar
Happy modeler
[ *  *  * ]
As Grant very nice Andy.

Will be some show once LEDs on!!!!.

foxy :coolio:
Goto Top

AndyT
Member Avatar
[ *  *  * ]
Yes but not sure when that will be
Goto Top

« Previous Topic · Work in Progress Figures · Next Topic »

Friends of Locate & Cement
Skin created by Nikku from Zathyus Networks Resources