Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
CLICK HERE to see new posts in last 24 hours
Mark all forums read
Welcome to Locate and Cement - Plastic Model Kit Review, Advice and Exchange of ideas.. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
KallistiUK Review of 2012
Topic Started: Dec 22 2012, 05:24 PM (1,697 Views)
KallistiUk
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
[ *  *  * ]
The year started in January with a 1:48 Tamiya RAF Mustang III - 112 Squadron, Italy 1944

Posted Image

Then in February came the prize winning Revell Babylon 5 Starfury with lighting

Posted Image

Posted Image

After this I returned to a build I began in 2011 but stopped when I realised I couldn't do a decent job brush painting it. Fortunately, in February I had a little windfall and invested in an Iwata airbrush and compressor. The first thing I did was return to the 1:48 Revell Rafale M that had been put to one side and was able to finish it off very nicely with the airbrush.

Posted Image

Another build that relied upon the airbrush to get a good paint covering was one I still have yet to complete... Sara in a chainmail bikini

Sara herself:
Posted Image

The base she stands on:
Posted Image

At the end of February I began a build that lasted until the end of April, the mammoth build that was the Halcyon Aliens Dropship Diorama

Posted Image

This was followed in May by my attempt to build the Revell 1:32 Hawker Hunter into the aircraft doing the airshows currently, Miss Demeanour. Sadly I ran out of time on this as I was going on holiday and by the time I'd come back from Holiday I had run out of enthusiasm for it. I rally do need to get back to this build and finish it. I got this far anyway:

Posted Image

Then in June came my contribution to the 30th Anniversary of the Falklands War, Scorpion 23A 3 Troop, 'B' Sqn Blues and Royals

Posted Image

Right after was my first attempt to use the hairspray technique to do scratches on the Revell 1:35 Sherman Calliope built into a diorama I call "The Laughing Tanker". I wish now I'd left the rocket tubes off and just left it as a Sherman. The tank is a nice build but the rocket tubes are frankly a bit rubbish!

Posted Image

At the beginning of July, insanity struck and I started the insane idea of converting an AFV Club Scimitar to a bar-armoured Operation Herrick Scimitar. Two months and a LOT of wasted plastic strip later, and after catastrophic accident as I was trying to photograph the finished model the day after I'd finished it

Posted Image

The accident? Brace yourself...

Posted Image

But it got repaired, although the gun barrel went on crooked and I didn't notice until I was carrying the model back from the competition tables at Telford in November!

After that insane build, I foolishly decided that at some point in the near future I could to a modern Op Herrick equipped Samson and eventually one of the new Scimitar 2s. I sometimes doubt my own sanity!

As an antidote to all this serious stuff, the phrase "Stand by for action!" became rather important... the Midori Stingray, with added LED lighting and scratch built cockpit

Posted Image

Posted Image

To continue the fun, I picked up this kit at the IPMS Farnborough Modelfest in September and had a lot of fun building it, the Bandai 1:16 Steam Roller

Posted Image

Almost at the end of the year now and for a What-If GB "in that other place", I posited what would happen if the MOD showed some common sense and bought some F/A 18s to put on the new aircraft carriers. The result: the FRS-1 Sea Vespid (based on the 1:48 Revell F/A 18E)

Posted Image

Then comes the final completed build of 2012, the prologue to my project to build a model of all the aircraft my father worked on in his time in the RAF during WWII, the 1:48 Hobbycraft Curtiss Mohawk IV

Posted Image

So for 2013, I am hoping to complete the 1:32 Hurricane IIC diorama featuring my father in Burma with 5 Sqn, then at some point I'll be converting the HobbyBoss 1:32 Spitfire Vb into a Vc to build another diorama with my father in North Africa with 81 Sqn. Then there is the bar-armoured Samson to work on, finish the Miss Demeanour Hunter and maybe even return to the delectable Sara in her chainmail bikini...

Goto Top

Jelly071
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
[ *  *  * ]
Some Great Builds
Goto Top

Mike W
Member Avatar
Hook down, wheels down... call the ball
[ *  *  * ]
Brill selection. The Superbug in RN clothes just looks so good!
Goto Top

Spad
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
[ *  *  * ]
Pretty eclectic selection there and all very nicely done. I'm particularly liking the work going into the bases.
Love that Traction Engine and I'm with Mike on the RN Superbug!

cheers
Rick
Goto Top

Grant
Member Avatar
Italian correspondent
[ *  *  * ]
Impressive mix of models. Love the lit Sci-Fi and the RN F-18 just looks so right!

cheers

Grant
Goto Top

njhanc
Advanced Member
[ *  *  * ]
That is such an impressive selection. A Stingray, Miss Demeanour (I want to do one of them!) and a Steamroller! Great building.

Cheers,
Nick
Goto Top

Acky190
Member Avatar
NATO, why dig in when you can check in!!
[ *  *  * ]
Nice builds mate, love the Scorpion!!
Goto Top

« Previous Topic · End of year review 2012 · Next Topic »

Friends of Locate & Cement
Skin created by Nikku from Zathyus Networks Resources