Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
CT Callsign Lists 11m Division Numbers= 11m Frequency Chart RadioZing Shop  Farnborough Communications

Welcome to the official Charlie Tango DX Group CB And Amateur Radio Forum. We hope you enjoy your visit.

Charlie Tango DX is a group dedicated to Hobby Radio Users in all forms, whether CB, Amateur, PMR446, Scanning and Short Wave Listening.
We are a very active and friendly group that welcomes anyone from anywhere in the world who has an interest in Radio, regardless of their level of experience, their equipment, their location, or their radio preference. We have members varying from fully qualified operators on the Amateur Bands, to newcomers who have just bought a PMR446 set, and many CBers both old and new. All are equal on the Site.

The CT Site contains many reviews, tips and modifications within the forums, and we take pride that no sensible question is ever left unanswered, and nobody is ever belittled or mocked for asking an honest question, no matter how simple it may seem. We were all new to the hobby once.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join Charlie Tango you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, voting in polls, viewing modifications and more.

If you are not yet a member: Registration is simple, fast, and completely free. Simply CLICK HERE to start the Registration process. Your application will need to include your personal name and approximate location, it will require you to confirm your email, and then be signed-off by one of our Admin Staff, but this is usually completed within 24 hours (48 max)

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Alinco dx-sr8 problem..
Topic Started: 19 May 2012 - 16:28 (4,184 Views)
68ct1970
Member Avatar
68 Charlie Tango 1970

Hello all..! I wonder can anyone help with a problem i am having lately with the above radio which i bought brand new in March..? In the last few weeks local radio friends have described hearing like a 'bubbling' sound when i key up on ssb and just before i speak also on the very odd occasion i hear like a low pitch whistle/squeal coming from the radio and my power meter shoots up to about 80 watts on a dead carrier (like i say on the odd occasion)..! The problem is intermittent i have been told and a friend is finding it hard to video to put it up on youtube to be viewed as i have been in touch with the shop i bought it regarding it but they have said that if i send it over and they cannot find the problem then "i could be in a bit of a pickle" as well as being out money to post it back..! I am also using the Alinco ems-14 desk mic bought from the same shop..! My power supply was bought brand new prior to the radio arriving and also i have tried the Kenwood mc43s and the problem still appears from time to time..! Any help would be appreciated..! Mark..!
Edited by 68ct1970, 19 May 2012 - 16:30.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

DXHunter
CT Default Avatar
26 Charlie Tango 098

hi without stating the obvious have you tried a dummy load to eleminate coax and plug problems or change mic to your standard one i remember many years back with a adonis base mic they were very prone to picking up rfdown the mic lead
and causing problems, your power supply is it a switch mode i have to confess i am not a great lover of these psu and prefer
the old linear type i would suggest trying another psu i think in your case you will need to eleminate each bit as you go a long hope you get it sorted
Edited by DXHunter, 19 May 2012 - 18:28.
Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

68ct1970
Member Avatar
68 Charlie Tango 1970

Hello Robert..! Thanks for replying..! The radio was fine for a few weeks after i bought the Alinco desk mic and fine when i used the Kenwood mc-43s on it from new but in the last few weeks locals have reported a 'bubbling' sound when i key up and i hear a squeal/low pitch whistle..! I bought my power supply from new prior to the radio arriving and all was well until recently..! I did put a brand new swr/power meter inline but on trying to eliminate the problem in the last few days i took it away and still i am getting this problem..! Please view the problem on my youtube page as i managed to catch it happening on a dead carrier earlier and quite afew times on the key..! My youtube page is 'riceytc1'..! Thanks Robert..! Mark..! P.s : It has done it on the standard mic also and 'yes' my power supply is switch mode but worked fine but i have one that is,nt so i could try it and see what happens..! Thanks..
Edited by 68ct1970, 19 May 2012 - 20:35.

DXHunter
CT Default Avatar
26 Charlie Tango 098

hi mark thought i would have a look around the web found this comment which maybe might answear your problem
here it is. My mate had an SR8
It did have an issue when the agc was set to slow and the radio would create a sqeal sound on tx (only whilst keying up ssb) in the presence of any signal over s1 (typical of 11m). He sent it back and got a replacement which had the same fault. He ended up giving it the flick for an ic7200, hope this helps

DDC
Member Avatar
26 Charlie Tango 455
Hi Mark,

I've got an SR8 and not seen this issue.. Could it be an RF feed back problem?? Does it happen with the power set to low??
Icom IC-E7, Yaesu FT-857D HF/VHF/UHF, Yaesu FT-60, Alinco DX-SR8 HF, President Grant ll, Beofeng UV5s, General Electric 3-5805A, Pofung GT3 MK II... I must stop buying handhelds!!!!!

DXHunter
CT Default Avatar
26 Charlie Tango 098

hi dave that was my thought rf feedback hence the reason i mentioned useing a dummy load perfect swr no dodgy plugs etc just to just to see if the power holds and does not drop off would also earth the shack out as matter of course to reduce any rf problems

VoG
Member Avatar
Persona non Grata
There are a few semi-common causes of apparently random noises such as those you're reporting.

My first thought is RF Earthing as that would be indicated by the burst of noise as you open the carrier: Hardly described in proper electronics technical-speak: but when you press the PTT and open the circuit to the aerial, the "Static" that has built-up "Dumps" itself through to the aerial on the carrier.
I wonder if you do have an earth and, if so, I wonder if perhaps it has dried-out or something?

I would also try the "ferrites on the Mic Cable" suggestion too. I realise it does the same thing with various Mics, but it might be something to do with the radio input rather than the Mic itself, so it'll manifest whatever mic is on there. Either try a clip-on Ferrite or two, or get a nice big Torroid ring and, temporarily, wind the mic lead through that a few times.

68ct1970
Member Avatar
68 Charlie Tango 1970

Thanks guys for the input and comments..! I can,t understand it as the issue has just appeared in the last few weeks and i did,nt change or move anything about..! It was intermittant at the beginning and hard to catch but yesterday was the worst i have seen and on a dead carrier on ssb it done it on nearly every key..! My swr is 1.0 on .555 and a good bit down and up the frequencies so i have no swr issues and of all the radios i have had i have not had any issues..! Puzzling and frustrating at the same time cause i paid enough for it and scared to use it for fear of damaging it but locals describe a 'bubbling' sound when i key up which was never there at the beginning..! All this has only came about in the last few weeks and it was not there when i first recieved the radio..! Puzzled..! Thanks for all input..

DXHunter
CT Default Avatar
26 Charlie Tango 098

hi mark can you put on here the actions you have done to try to resolve it just to stop any wasted threads

68ct1970
Member Avatar
68 Charlie Tango 1970

Tried the mc-43s mic and the standard one,,put a brand new Zetagi tm999 inline,,took my Antron down from the roof and now running an Imax bought in november and also the coax is younger than the coax that was running to the Antron..! My next plan is to try a power supply what is not a switch mode as suggested and also thinking of getting a brand new Gainmaster with brand new mini 8 low loss coax and start a process of elimination..! One thing at a time..! It will not be going back till i make sure i try to maybe eliminate it by maybe making a few changes and basically starting over and all the newest of equipment..! I could do without being out of pocket to post it back as i am out of work..! Trying all i can to eliminate the issue at my end..

68ct1970
Member Avatar
68 Charlie Tango 1970

A wee heads up on this thread and to help anyone in the future who might experience the problem (fingers crossed nobody else does)..! From my last post here i made big changes in my home to try to resolve it..! I put up a brand new Gainmaster,,replaced my coax to mini 8,,put on ferrite rings near antenna and at back of coax from radio,,tried a non switch mode power supply,,shack grounded and radio also took to two radio friends locations to test and still local radio friends were reporting a bubbling sound/wobbling sound just within a second of me transmitting..! It lasts only briefly but on more occasions now than when it first appeared..! Please note : The problem is only on 27mhz,,ssb and on full power of the radio but there nonetheless..! I paid for the mars mod assuming all would be fine but something slight is wrong so i have returned the radio to be looked at and i will keep you all posted as to what the outcome is..! Thanks for all input to date..! Mark.

Simon-the-Wizard
Member Avatar

The mars mod would not have made anything. Seems to me something with the audio. I used on mine ( in history ) a Sadelta mike and it made a pop when keyed up, best way to describe it. In the end ran it with standard Alinco mike and was fixed. I was told via a service in Holland the Alinco has some components on the mike board that when higher audio is sent it makes like a pop / bubble burst sound and more so when the processor is on.
In the end sold mine onwards to a guy in Poland.

cj/ct331
CT Default Avatar
26 Charlie Tango 331

alinco,s dont like full power on ssb or over driven audio,
the sound you get is audio amp voltage distortion as the
limiting cirket trys to damp down the spikes on peaks
easy cure reduce output say 75-80w mic gain reduction just over half way
get all that crap off your coax, and make sure radio and tuner is well grounded
might be a hint of RF returning into radio, if useing a after market mic dont
use prossesing at more than 10%
you say its only on 11mssb how do you know that?
good luck with it , and only run the radio on inderpendent psu dont
share it with other gear they hate RF?
73 hope you sort it

68ct1970
Member Avatar
68 Charlie Tango 1970

The radio was tried in two local radio friends locations to see if i was getting rf just but it still happened in their locations too so i don,t believe it was rf..! One of my friends tested it on all modes and it was fine apart from 11m..! The radio was doing it using standard mic and Alinco desk mic..! i put a video on Youtube of what it was doing and through the video i met two other people with the same issue (Stefan in Germany and Denis in England)..! Stefan discovered something and absurd as this is he discovered that when you put your rf gain down on the radio the problem stopped and he was correct in our three cases..! Between the three of us we drew up an Email to go to Alinco themselves explaining the issue as we had all sent our radios back to our dealers only to get them sent back to us with the supplier saying nothing was wrong with them when clearly there was..! Well in my case i am glad to say i contacted my supplier again and "in the interests of customer satisfaction" i got a full refund so i thought that people should know that there could be an issue with some of the dx-sr8s out there so be aware..! Good luck and thanks for all input to date..! The end..! Mark..

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
« Previous Topic · HF Radios · Next Topic »
Add Reply

This Website, Name, Logos and Products Are Copyright To Charlie Tango DX Group 2009 - 2013
All Rights Reserved - No Part Of This Site May Be Copied Without Prior Written Permission.
Take a look at our Terms Of Service or Contact Us

View My Stats