Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
CT Callsign Lists 11m Division Numbers= 11m Frequency Chart RadioZing Shop  Farnborough Communications

Welcome to the official Charlie Tango DX Group CB And Amateur Radio Forum. We hope you enjoy your visit.

Charlie Tango DX is a group dedicated to Hobby Radio Users in all forms, whether CB, Amateur, PMR446, Scanning and Short Wave Listening.
We are a very active and friendly group that welcomes anyone from anywhere in the world who has an interest in Radio, regardless of their level of experience, their equipment, their location, or their radio preference. We have members varying from fully qualified operators on the Amateur Bands, to newcomers who have just bought a PMR446 set, and many CBers both old and new. All are equal on the Site.

The CT Site contains many reviews, tips and modifications within the forums, and we take pride that no sensible question is ever left unanswered, and nobody is ever belittled or mocked for asking an honest question, no matter how simple it may seem. We were all new to the hobby once.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join Charlie Tango you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, voting in polls, viewing modifications and more.

If you are not yet a member: Registration is simple, fast, and completely free. Simply CLICK HERE to start the Registration process. Your application will need to include your personal name and approximate location, it will require you to confirm your email, and then be signed-off by one of our Admin Staff, but this is usually completed within 24 hours (48 max)

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
  • Pages:
Zetagi B550P Vs RM KL500
Topic Started: 6 Feb 2011 - 13:24 (9,226 Views)
Deleted User
Deleted User

Right a new one here. I'm looking for a solid state Linear that has Ham usage.
Don't want to spend Ameratron or the big HF RM Pro series money.
This is mainly for mobile and 10 meter usage, so needs RF sencing not PTT line input.
I can't be bothered to import a Palomar or any of the American "Pillboxes".
I have used Zetagis in the past from B47 (still own) to a massive RM KLV1000P VIP tube mains unit. I know generally RMs make more power ,but tend to be less filtered and cause more spurious Emissions (normally when Numptys overdrive them).
I like the B300P but a little on the QRP side for me (some say it doesn't do much more than 200Watts on SSB).
So I'm looking at the RM KL500 or a Zetagi B550P. I do intend laser cutting and fabricating a stainless shroud at work with twin high end fans and fitting a thermo switch for cooling as well.
I know Mark in Essex and a few others like their solid state linears...........my question is what do you recommend and how have you found them (Warts and all) guys.
If I had the spare cash I would buy both and do a review "Shootout" for Youtube........but I don't have a spare 500!!.........so over to you!!! ;)
Quote Post Goto Top

MadMark1
CT Default Avatar
163 Charlie Tango 020

The KL500 uses 4 (100 watt ) transistors where as the B550 uses 4 ( 60 watt ) transistors, also the KL500 is out of the box more broadband than the B550, and with a few mods the KL500 can be used from about 3 mhz upwards, when i had my KL500 after a few ( simple ) mods i was getting over 400 watts on 80 mtrs with about 20 watts drive , but there very current hungry, so a really decent Power supply (Battery ) is needed.

some of the simple mods include changing the very under rated power lead to some thing more capable, also the internal fuse holders can be problematic and cause high resistance, removing the intenal fuse holders and using the blade type ones for auto use is also one of the mods.

Mark
Gw0wvl

http://www.qrz.com/db/GW0WVL

My Youtube site ... http://www.youtube.com/MrMadjones

My website ... http://mjmotorbikes.weebly.com/

My Radio website http://gw0wvl.weebly.com/

"It's not the class of license that the Amateur holds but the class of Amateur that holds the license"
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Deleted User
Deleted User

Thanks Mark, have you had any experiance of the Zetagi?. I think the B550 will cost more money too!!..........have you a link for the mods??.
As you know I run three big high end valve linears, just would like a solid state for moble and 10 meter kick in the other shack.
Quote Post Goto Top

ChrisC
CT Default Avatar
26 Charlie Tango 437

I should really stop reading this whilst i'm out in yankydoodle land. I can pick up a RM 500 for less than 150. it'd go nicely in my laptop bag aswell :(

BlackAdder
Member Avatar
26 Charlie Tango 003
150 for a rm50O crikes new prices kill me..

I use a B550p and it just works, what more can I say, used it on 80 upto 10 with no issues to talk about, does what it says on the tin, cannot compare to an RM as I have never used one!

Paid 70 for mine secondhand with all the pills re-newed....
Located in the heart of Surreys radio dead Spot - where no-one can hear you call !

ChrisC
CT Default Avatar
26 Charlie Tango 437

Well I've just read a thread elsewhere of someone selling a Palomar 500 base station for less than 150. So thats a 35amp PSU and a 500w amp for less than 150. if only!

Deleted User
Deleted User

I have an offer of a brand new RM KL500 @ a very reasonable price.....not the 240 people seem to charge these days.
Thanks Simon about the Zetagi, it has a little more pleasing looks to me.....and what a bargain you paid 70 ........all the bargains are in Essex ;)
Quote Post Goto Top

MadMark1
CT Default Avatar
163 Charlie Tango 020

only once i had a 550, had it about a week, i wasnt to impressed with it, it really didnt live upto the hype about them. if i was going for one it would be the KL500.

As for the info, theres loads of it on there, mainly from hams about the mods.

http://www.radioamateur.eu/schemi/acc_pa/RMitaly_KL-500_mod_DG2IAQ.pdf

Mark
Gw0wvl

http://www.qrz.com/db/GW0WVL

My Youtube site ... http://www.youtube.com/MrMadjones

My website ... http://mjmotorbikes.weebly.com/

My Radio website http://gw0wvl.weebly.com/

"It's not the class of license that the Amateur holds but the class of Amateur that holds the license"

BlackAdder
Member Avatar
26 Charlie Tango 003
Never listen to hype, so lost me on that one....

and once again have to say my Zetagi 'does what it says on the tin' simples..... guess it depends what you want from it OOGS,,, power? reliabilty??

Mark in essex runs one also and has also run the RM, so he is your man to ask :D

secondhand boot sale OOGY, hey you know me don't pay them silly new prices LOL, cannot afford to on my wage LOL
Located in the heart of Surreys radio dead Spot - where no-one can hear you call !

BlackAdder
Member Avatar
26 Charlie Tango 003
jusr t=reading that link from MadMark, it quotes 300W

I get 250w from my Zetagi 550..

for your info Ooggs :D

Deleted User
Deleted User

madmark1
6 Feb 2011 - 15:49
only once i had a 550, had it about a week, i wasnt to impressed with it, it really didnt live upto the hype about them. if i was going for one it would be the KL500.

Mark
Thanks for the link Mark
Quote Post Goto Top

Deleted User
Deleted User

Simon In Essex
6 Feb 2011 - 16:14
jusr t=reading that link from MadMark, it quotes 300W

I get 250w from my Zetagi 550..

for your info Ooggs :D
To be honest....if you have a decent antenna and coax you very rarely need over 300 Watts anyway. Just better driving an amp low and keeping the signal clean....unless you sit on 19 playing the latest Celo Green Hit .......but I guess that's a story for another day and another band!!! :(
Quote Post Goto Top

VoG
Member Avatar
Persona non Grata
Somewhat curious about the true performance of these things....

I've read a LOT of comments saying this type of amp are all "Scatter Monsters", that they bleed wildly over harmonics and a zillion other frequencies and that they're only fit for (Quote) CB Use (Unquote)?

Is that true, or is it somewhat a case of Top-End-Snobbery with people who can afford 'Ameritron' and 'Linear Amp UK' type (1000+) valve amps just keeping the "Cheap Transistor people" in their place?

OK, I accept that a solid state, tranny amp isn't going to be as stable as a valve job, nor as powerful, nor as accurate . . . but are transistor amps that bad?

Ignore this Posting - it's liable to lead to an off-track debate about Splatter and so forth - I'll repost on a separate thread . :$
Edited by VoG, 6 Feb 2011 - 16:55.

Deleted User
Deleted User

Simon In Essex
6 Feb 2011 - 15:37
150 for a rm50O crikes new prices kill me..

I use a B550p and it just works, what more can I say, used it on 80 upto 10 with no issues to talk about, does what it says on the tin, cannot compare to an RM as I have never used one!

Paid 70 for mine secondhand with all the pills re-newed....

B550P was made for 20-30mhz so fair play with 80 so guess you mean 80 metres?

Think you have a peach if it works all that, asked a local and he choked on his brezen.....
Quote Post Goto Top

Deleted User
Deleted User

madmark1
6 Feb 2011 - 15:49

Mark

Jochen is a friend of mine, you will see many of his mods on the mods.dk forum for all this stuff
Quote Post Goto Top

BlackAdder
Member Avatar
26 Charlie Tango 003
What can I tell you Simon. yes it does... :D tried and tested....

Bought it from a ham enthusiast that had worked on it, beyond that I have no more info other thatn it work, sorry to hear your friend is CHOKING .
Edited by BlackAdder, 6 Feb 2011 - 16:40.

Deleted User
Deleted User

Simon In Essex
6 Feb 2011 - 16:38
What can I tell you SIMON. yes it does... :D

Bought it from a ham enthusiast that had worked on it, beyond that I have no more info other thatn it work, sorry to hear your friend is CHOKING !!! hmmm

Its a little mis leading to tell someone i use it from 80-10m when it was "modded before you got it" as some maybe think all do the same and then buy it based on reading something here.
The friend here still chokes, Werner told me aint designed for it, finals are not for it, filters not for it and need we need add more and more to it. Guess people love it on the air splattering all over the place....

Better to have something designed for it, than bodge it to do what it is not designed for. My opinion, if was spending my hard earned then would need to be something like KL501 or other. Made for amateur bands, not a cb amp which can be used for somewhere else.
Quote Post Goto Top

BlackAdder
Member Avatar
26 Charlie Tango 003
Simon .......

please don't turn this into some TM1 debate, the pills where replaced that is all I know..Ie the guy I bought it off did some work to it.

I never used the word MODDED you did...

I would never by choice mis inform my friend OOOGS, Ill say this right now...

What happened to innocent forum chat, this is why i dont post very much in case someone feels the need to correct me in this manner GRR.
Edited by BlackAdder, 6 Feb 2011 - 16:50.

VoG
Member Avatar
Persona non Grata
Calm down gentlemen . . . or I'll take the bat and ball away. :)

My fault perhaps as I asked the initial question about "Splatter Monsters". Please put the Thread back on Oggy's original track (Comparing the Zetagi and the RM) and I'll repost my question about "Splatter" elsewhere, and the topic can be debated where appropriate.

Fair comment to point out that the (Regular) B550-p is only sold as being "suitable for 26.000-30.000 MHz", as we wouldn't want someone to rush out and buy a B550p for use on 80m to 10m based on what they've read here, if the Amp isn't capable of that unles the PILs have been replaced or something. But not fair to automatically assume that if a B550 can be used on all Bands, then it must be causing interference, as that might have been addressed when the PILs were replaced.

No more on this side-topic, disagreement, whatever PLEASE . . . . I WILL be removing any further postings that are not related to the original Thread topic.
Edited by VoG, 6 Feb 2011 - 17:22.

Deleted User
Deleted User

Thanks for the replies guys ,very interesting indeed.
I don't need an amp (whilst handy) for below 20MHZ as I have the three valve linears for this.
It is mainly to use with the Anytone AT5555 on 10 meters . Purely as I don't want the agro of setting up a foot switch due to 10 meter radios not having line out for linears.
I see what Steve says about splatter and most this is caused my inexperienced operators overdriving them. Plus there 200 .......not 1000 minimum for a monster valve Ham amp.
Infact I'm looking at buying an ETO Alpha 87A for 20 meters use and putting the Linear Amp UK on the low bands ......but thats going off topic and another thread very soon. :cheers:
Thanks for the links to the mods Mark, looks very interesting and to Simon in Essex for his views on his Zetagi too.
Quote Post Goto Top

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · Any Other Radio Equipment · Next Topic »
Add Reply
  • Pages:

This Website, Name, Logos and Products Are Copyright To Charlie Tango DX Group 2009 - 2013
All Rights Reserved - No Part Of This Site May Be Copied Without Prior Written Permission.
Take a look at our Terms Of Service or Contact Us

View My Stats