Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
CT Callsign Lists 11m Division Numbers= 11m Frequency Chart RadioZing Shop  Farnborough Communications

Welcome to the official Charlie Tango DX Group CB And Amateur Radio Forum. We hope you enjoy your visit.

Charlie Tango DX is a group dedicated to Hobby Radio Users in all forms, whether CB, Amateur, PMR446, Scanning and Short Wave Listening.
We are a very active and friendly group that welcomes anyone from anywhere in the world who has an interest in Radio, regardless of their level of experience, their equipment, their location, or their radio preference. We have members varying from fully qualified operators on the Amateur Bands, to newcomers who have just bought a PMR446 set, and many CBers both old and new. All are equal on the Site.

The CT Site contains many reviews, tips and modifications within the forums, and we take pride that no sensible question is ever left unanswered, and nobody is ever belittled or mocked for asking an honest question, no matter how simple it may seem. We were all new to the hobby once.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join Charlie Tango you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, voting in polls, viewing modifications and more.

If you are not yet a member: Registration is simple, fast, and completely free. Simply CLICK HERE to start the Registration process. Your application will need to include your personal name and approximate location, it will require you to confirm your email, and then be signed-off by one of our Admin Staff, but this is usually completed within 24 hours (48 max)

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
help needed with Sirio Starduster M-400
Topic Started: 28 Aug 2010 - 21:33 (1,728 Views)
KiloMike
CT Default Avatar
26 Charlie Tango 360

Hello Everyone, after putting the sigma 4 up i had to take it down again, because after having it
all this time i did not want it breaking, i must admit i've had some good contacts this week into europe with any problems . so i was wondering if anyone had used a Sirio Starduster M-400 on here, what are your thoughts please on the starduster i've googled it and nothing really is showing...please dont say put the sigma 4 up :headbang: as i just want to use something else for a change

thanks again

Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Offplanet
Member Avatar
26 Charlie Tango 104

Not had one since the 80's, but I certainly liked the look of it back then (too young to know a good antenna from a bad one then mind) - don't know what build quality is like now, but for about 40 I'm tempted to try one again.

I'd imagine the wind would howl a bit through them, which is worth bearing in mind.

It looks like a 1/4 wave radiating element, with a few radials, on top a ground plane of three 1/4 wave radials. From what I've read, they really do work well on the Sporadic E (Summer skip) and are good groundwave performers too.

What I have seen debated is how much better they actually are that a basic centre-fed dipole (which I also rate as a decent antenna).

Cheers
Gary
Edited by Offplanet, 28 Aug 2010 - 22:38.
The CT eXtreme DX Team [imgw=50]http://i643.photobucket.com/albums/uu157/offplanet_photos/mountain.png[/imgw]

The CTX Experience - imagination and drive
Callsigns - 26-CTX-104, 26-CT-104, 163-CTX-104, 163-CT-104

CTX on Facebook Posted Image

CB, PMR446, SOTA, IOTA, SHTF Comms, Homebrew and some other stuff on - www.youtube.com/ukcbtv

Deleted User
Deleted User

The Sirio Starduster is quite new on the market and have tested two of them, both worked excellent although had some issues with the wind (oh dear)

Enclosed is the manual for you. I worked all around with mine, was located 70m above the ground and i bought the antenna from capital stores in Manchester and worked well. 1/4 top with 3x 1/4 legs indeed.
Attached to this post:
Attachments: Id_387_15_02_2007.pdf (839.4 KB)
Quote Post Goto Top

KiloMike
CT Default Avatar
26 Charlie Tango 360

Thanks Simon :cheers:

Offplanet
Member Avatar
26 Charlie Tango 104

If you get one, let us know how you get on with Kilomike
The CT eXtreme DX Team [imgw=50]http://i643.photobucket.com/albums/uu157/offplanet_photos/mountain.png[/imgw]

The CTX Experience - imagination and drive
Callsigns - 26-CTX-104, 26-CT-104, 163-CTX-104, 163-CT-104

CTX on Facebook Posted Image

CB, PMR446, SOTA, IOTA, SHTF Comms, Homebrew and some other stuff on - www.youtube.com/ukcbtv

KiloMike
CT Default Avatar
26 Charlie Tango 360

yep no problems i will do, i'm also looking at a 3 element beam :pirate:

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
« Previous Topic · Aerials, RF & QRM Section · Next Topic »
Add Reply

This Website, Name, Logos and Products Are Copyright To Charlie Tango DX Group 2009 - 2013
All Rights Reserved - No Part Of This Site May Be Copied Without Prior Written Permission.
Take a look at our Terms Of Service or Contact Us

View My Stats