Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
CT Callsign Lists 11m Division Numbers= 11m Frequency Chart RadioZing Shop  Farnborough Communications

Welcome to the official Charlie Tango DX Group CB And Amateur Radio Forum. We hope you enjoy your visit.

Charlie Tango DX is a group dedicated to Hobby Radio Users in all forms, whether CB, Amateur, PMR446, Scanning and Short Wave Listening.
We are a very active and friendly group that welcomes anyone from anywhere in the world who has an interest in Radio, regardless of their level of experience, their equipment, their location, or their radio preference. We have members varying from fully qualified operators on the Amateur Bands, to newcomers who have just bought a PMR446 set, and many CBers both old and new. All are equal on the Site.

The CT Site contains many reviews, tips and modifications within the forums, and we take pride that no sensible question is ever left unanswered, and nobody is ever belittled or mocked for asking an honest question, no matter how simple it may seem. We were all new to the hobby once.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join Charlie Tango you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, voting in polls, viewing modifications and more.

If you are not yet a member: Registration is simple, fast, and completely free. Simply CLICK HERE to start the Registration process. Your application will need to include your personal name and approximate location, it will require you to confirm your email, and then be signed-off by one of our Admin Staff, but this is usually completed within 24 hours (48 max)

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
  • Pages:
swr rings on a99
Topic Started: 15 May 2010 - 17:54 (3,053 Views)
Fixerman
Member Avatar
108 Charlie Tango 300

hi, i managed to buy an A99 secondhand and was wondering if anyone could give me a starting point for where the rings need to be placed for 27.555 as a start for setting the swr. I'm mounting it on a 12 foot pole on gable end of the house. I should add that it has the firestick top section on. I'd like to get it in the ballpark before i get it up in the air, i've built an ugly balun for it as well.

cheers

fm
MM0WAX
Audio Technica Bphs1
Audio Technica ATR30
FTdx5000mp
Acom 1011
3 Element SteppIr

The World
Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Deleted User
Deleted User

Unless been played with leave them where they are, test with an swr first of course. Mostly all come fine and dandy tuned for the triple
Quote Post Goto Top

VoG
Member Avatar
Persona non Grata
If I remember my A99 correctly, the rings were about an inch and a quarter, inch and a half, down from the top of the threads.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Fixerman
Member Avatar
108 Charlie Tango 300

As it came the swr rings were wound tight to the top, just wondering if thats the way they should be, second hand so i don't know the history of it and what its been used for previously.

cheers
fm
MM0WAX
Audio Technica Bphs1
Audio Technica ATR30
FTdx5000mp
Acom 1011
3 Element SteppIr

The World

Offplanet
Member Avatar
26 Charlie Tango 104

Mine ended up around the position that Steve quoted - I did find that my original installation required the rings to be much nearer the top, however after I installed the Ugly Balun, the rings needed to be set in the lower position.

I suspect that due to the fact that my A99 was originally fitted to a very short aluminium pole, the coax braid was becoming part of the antenna - when the Ugly Balun was fitted, the issue was eliminated and the tuning of the antenna was restored closer to it's defaults.

Maybe the previous owner had a similar set-up, but if you've the Ugly Balun in place, a good starting point would be about 3/4 of the way up.

When I installed the Firestik type top section, the SWR actually dropped slightly and no adjustment was required. I used the top of the UK block (almost 28Mhz) and just under the alternate SSB calling freq (26.285Mhz) as the top and bottom set points for tuning the SWR. SWR around 27.555Mhz is excellent.

Quite often though, there's no substitute for climbing up the ladder a few dozen times!

Cheers
Gary
The CT eXtreme DX Team [imgw=50]http://i643.photobucket.com/albums/uu157/offplanet_photos/mountain.png[/imgw]

The CTX Experience - imagination and drive
Callsigns - 26-CTX-104, 26-CT-104, 163-CTX-104, 163-CT-104

CTX on Facebook Posted Image
CTX on Twitter Posted Image

CB, PMR446, SOTA, IOTA, SHTF Comms, Homebrew and some other stuff on - www.youtube.com/ukcbtv

Firetrap
Member Avatar
www.charlietango.co.uk

Mine are about 2cm from the top of the threads for great SWR on 27.555
Edited by Firetrap, 16 May 2010 - 12:24.

Posted Image

VoG
Member Avatar
Persona non Grata
Firetrap
16 May 2010 - 12:23
about 2cm from the top
Therein lies the perfect example of the age difference on this site.

I, in my advanced years, refer to, "an inch and a quarter", and that young whipper-snapper Firetrap says, "about 2cm". LOL

PigSticker
CT Default Avatar
26 Charlie Tango 269

I bought mine from new and the SWR was crap and had to adjust the rings all the way to the bottom and even then it wasnt right so I fitted an RF choke and now it is 1.1 to 1 right through EU and UK bands, not sure on the 555 as I dot have a sidebander yet.

HomerBB
Member Avatar
2 Charlie Tango 004

I've learned the RF choke beneath the A99 is a necessity in some applications. I use one on everything I put up with a coax.
Posted ImagePosted Image

2CT004/2WR183

VoG
Member Avatar
Persona non Grata
HomerBB
5 Jun 2010 - 15:45
I've learned the RF choke beneath the A99 is a necessity in some applications.
Can't argue with that! I've used an air-choke / RF-choke / Ugly-Balun on all my 11m Verticals since I found what a difference they CAN make

Posted Image

PigSticker
CT Default Avatar
26 Charlie Tango 269

thats a bit of a fancy one compared to mine!

Deleted User
Deleted User

Cherokee
5 Jun 2010 - 21:42
HomerBB
5 Jun 2010 - 15:45
I've learned the RF choke beneath the A99 is a necessity in some applications.
Can't argue with that! I've used an air-choke / RF-choke / Ugly-Balun on all my 11m Verticals since I found what a difference they CAN make
hi steve' where can i buy one from please !!! fed up of qrm
Quote Post Goto Top

VoG
Member Avatar
Persona non Grata
porky.69
7 Jun 2010 - 10:38
hi steve' where can i buy one from please !!! fed up of qrm
Hi Paul - An Air-choke isn't a universal panacea for QRM but, in my opinion, it certainly can help and it is a classic "Can't do any harm" type of addition. I've never seen an Air-choke for sale, although you can buy a 1:1 Balun which does the same thing.

Beware though, I bought a one-to-one balun on Ebay and about three months later the solder to the inside of the SO259 failed and I had a million-to-one SWR. It couldn't be repaired as the black box containing the torroid had been filled with bathroom sealant. I wrote to the guy I bought it from to tell him, but didn't even get a reply.

The thing in my picture (Call it a RF-Choke, an Air-Choke, or an Ugly-Balun) was knocked together in my workshop one evening

It comprises 12" of (brown) plastic pipe left over from the shed guttering project which has been wound with about 18'-odd of co-ax, and then a PL259 fitted on each end. Obviously you wouldn't want the air-choke pressed flat against a metal scaff pole holding the aerial, so I added a couple of legs made from some left-over plastic electrical conduit and two "C" shaped feet made from splitting a bit of bathroom drainpipe, all hot-glued together. Then, finally, a couple of cable ties to fix it in place and a female-female/SO259-SO259 connector so it can fit inline with the aerial cable.

Deleted User
Deleted User

thanks steve
Quote Post Goto Top

Offplanet
Member Avatar
26 Charlie Tango 104

The main purpose of an Ugly Balun (RF Choke) is to help cure RFI/EMI/TVI as it helps prevent the coax braid becoming part of the antenna (which leads to RF in the braid - RF in the braid is a big cause of RFI/EMI/TVI).

It not really for reducing QRM on receive, although some operators have commented on a reduction, and a reduction in SWR is also commonly reported.

I'm in the same school of thought as Steve and Homer and install some form of RF choke on any antenna fed with Coax.

I've seen recommendations on installing one at the radio end of the coax as well.

Cheers
Gary

The CT eXtreme DX Team [imgw=50]http://i643.photobucket.com/albums/uu157/offplanet_photos/mountain.png[/imgw]

CB, PMR446, SOTA, IOTA, SHTF Comms, Homebrew and some other stuff on - www.youtube.com/ukcbtv

Deleted User
Deleted User

thanks gary i suffer from a wee bit of static now and again ...would love one like steves' photo to try but cant' find any anywhere
on the web
Quote Post Goto Top

Offplanet
Member Avatar
26 Charlie Tango 104

Pretty easy to make one Paul - also look at earthing options for keeping the static down.

Cheers
Gary

Deleted User
Deleted User

I will make you one Paul. I'm doing the same so while I'm making one I can easily do two!
Quote Post Goto Top

Deleted User
Deleted User

maybach52
8 Jun 2010 - 17:23
I will make you one Paul. I'm doing the same so while I'm making one I can easily do two!
thanks gary. and thanks very much bob im very grateful ...it will be a great help :clap:
Quote Post Goto Top

Wizzbit
CT Default Avatar
163 Charlie Tango 008

Apologies in advance if this is considered "an old post" but I was wondering about the ugly balun.

I'm awaiting a nice 10 meter length of coax then I'm going to make one.

What I was wondering is how come there is such a mixed opinion on the optimum winds/length ?

My first idea was to use a pop bottle but I would prefer to use some plastic pipe like suggested. Can you actually buy such a short length?

My plan is to make one that is in one piece (ie no double pl259s to connect it to the main feed.

Any help would be great.

Cheers

M

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · Aerials, RF & QRM Section · Next Topic »
Add Reply
  • Pages:

This Website, Name, Logos and Products Are Copyright To Charlie Tango DX Group 2009 - 2013
All Rights Reserved - No Part Of This Site May Be Copied Without Prior Written Permission.
Take a look at our Terms Of Service or Contact Us

View My Stats