Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Add Reply
Flu Facts
Topic Started: Jan 12 2018, 04:15 PM (32 Views)
Shecoda
Member Avatar
Advanced
Some Flu facts for 2017 - 2018 season:

Ok, so I have been reading about flu shots. There are two types of flu vaccines. A nasal vaccine made from the live virus and the shot type vaccine made from an inactive virus. The nasal vaccine is not recommended this year and it wasn't recommended last year either. It isn't as effective in building antibodies as the shot vaccine.

Vaccine antibodies decline rapidly. They don't stick around long so immunity is seasonal rather than long-term. In other words even if the H3N2 virus in the vaccine this year is the big virus next year, it is probable no immunity will exist from this year's inoculation. Peak efficiency is about two-three weeks after inoculation. Flu declines faster in certain groups such as older people and immune-compromised people depending on their underlying infirmity. These groups are often given a higher dose of the vaccine than healthy young people.

There are trivalent vaccines and quadrivalent vaccines.

Trivalent vaccines contain two A-grade influenza vaccines and one influenza B vaccines. They contain an influenza A (H1N1) virus, an influenza A (H3N2) virus and one influenza B virus.

Quadrivalent vaccines include a second B virus. A and B denote severity of flu with A being the worst flu and B being a lighter flu. LINK

The influenzas in this year's vaccine are an A/Michigan/45/2015 (H1N1)pdm09-like virus (updated), an A/Hong Kong/4801/2014 (H3N2)-like virus, and a B/Brisbane/60/2008-like (B/Victoria lineage) virus.

Quadrivalent (four-component) vaccines, which protect against a second lineage of B viruses, are recommended to be produced using the same viruses recommended for the trivalent vaccines, as well as a B/Phuket/3073/2013-like (B/Yamagata lineage) virus.

LINK

Unfortunately, the main influenza this year is an Australian H3N2 virus not included in the vaccine.

The B virus, the Yagamata virus is currently circulating in the UK, don't know if it is going to take off here in North America. Apparently, this year one of the virus' in the vaccine, the lighter B (Yagamata) virus was guessed correctly.

At the moment the vaccine is appearing to be about 10% effective, but the true percentage can't and won't be determined until after the flu season is over.
Definition:
Pareidolia (par-i-DOH-lee-a): The new term for swamp gas
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Kamalam
Member Avatar
Advanced Boop
Wow, good information. I didn't realize how immunity from a flu vaccine is seasonal rather than long-term. I'm not sure it's even worth it then. Well, for immune sensitive folks it might be. I am still leery of vaccines in general to be honest.

Today I ordered more of my favorite organic hand sanitizer and I'll be using this a LOT more when I go out into the public. Especially when I need to touch door handles.
Posted Image
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
« Previous Topic · Health News · Next Topic »
Add Reply