Add Reply
RECIPES
Topic Started: Mar 1 2010, 02:52 AM (711 Views)
Cody
Member Avatar
Time for Change
Recipes, Recipes, Recipes

If you are looking, guaranteed you will find something here.

If not on the first page then on one of the subsequent pages.

It isn't all sweet stuff, just keep looking.

http://www.tastespotting.com/browse/1
Edited by Skookum, Jan 6 2017, 06:42 PM.
Love is all there ever was, ever is and ever will be.

You are loved.

Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Maverick
No Avatar
XX member
Wow I like this site. They are doing something different from other recipe sites by displaying pictures to entice you. Everything looks yummy!
Don't take life too seriously .. no one gets out alive!

Cody
Member Avatar
Time for Change
I like the site as well. If anyone gets to the cheese biscuits that rival the garlic cheese biscuits served at Red Lobster, there is a slight problem with the recipe.

The biscuits on the site are very good, but one of the last steps is to take garlic salt and melted butter and paste over the top of the biscuits.

I followed the recipe exactly even though I kept thinking the garlic salt and butter mixture was going to be too salty.

I was right. It was very salty. I suggest using garlic power and butter, or maybe garlic salt and unsalted butter, or even some sort of minced fresh garlic cooked in salted (regular) butter.

Overall, they were very good and very easy to make.

I can find the recipe or the page if someone wants it.
Love is all there ever was, ever is and ever will be.

You are loved.

Kamalam
Member Avatar
Advanced Boop
OMG - The Cardamom Pancakes with Orange Blossom Syrup & Pistachios just about did me in! What a fabulous site - Can't wait to try one of these recipes for a potluck at work. Thanks, Cody!
Posted Image

Skookum
Member Avatar
*sis~boom~bah*
Quote:

garlic cheese biscuits served at Red Lobster

YES!! A bowl of their gumbo & a few of their buscuits & 'life is GOOD'! :calvindance:
cows don't care what time it is because the're ...... well ......... cows.
and cows are idiots 🐮

Posted Image

Navi
Member Avatar
Infinite One
Lasagna

Just came across this recipe. :yummy:
You don't necessarily have to include the meat. ;)

Slow Cooker Zucchini Lasagna

Quote:

Slow Cooker Zucchini Lasagna with Meat Sauce

Ingredients
4 small zucchinis, ends cut off (you can sub two large zucchinis)
1 pound cooked ground meat or chopped meatballs
1/2 cup of your favorite pasta sauce
8 oz mozzarella cheese, freshly shredded (about 2 cups), divided
15oz container of part-skim ricotta cheese
1/2 cup Parmesan cheese, freshly grated
2 eggs
1 tablespoon dried parsley flakes
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon cracked black pepper

Directions
Thinly slice (unpeeled) zucchini length-wise into thin strips, like lasagna noodles. Itís easier to do this with a mandolin, but a large knife works just fine. (Itís OK if some are only a few inches long.)
Create cheese filling by combining 1 cup mozzarella cheese, ricotta cheese, Parmesan cheese, eggs, parsley flakes, salt, and pepper.
Create a layer of zucchini at the bottom of your slow cooker. (Itís OK if pieces overlap.)
Top zucchini with a rounded 1/2 cup of cheese filling, 1 cup meat, and 1-3 tablespoons sauce.
Continue layering zucchini, cheese, meat, and sauce until you only have enough zucchini left for top layer. (A 6-quart slow cooker will have 4-5 layers and a 4-quart slow cooker will have 6-8 layers.)
Before you add the top layer of zucchini, add whatever sauce, meat, and cheese you have left.
Top with zucchini and remaining 1 cup of mozzarella cheese.
Cover, and cook on low for 6-8 hours.
Turn off slow cooker and let rest for at least 30 minutes, so juices become more set.

This might defeat the purpose of using zucchini instead of noodles, but we like to eat ours with a big piece of crusty garlic bread! YUM.
Edited by Skookum, Jan 6 2017, 07:03 PM.
My choice? All the way down the rabbit hole.Posted Image

Kamalam
Member Avatar
Advanced Boop
Thank you, Navi!! Sounds delish! :yummy:
Posted Image

Navi
Member Avatar
Infinite One
I just got through putting this zucchini in the slow cooker and turning it on.

My opinion:
I have a 7 quart slow cooker. For my cooker I would need two more zucchini. That is gauged by the amount of cheese mixture I had left over and how much of my cooker it filled. I could have put two more layers in to fill it. I followed the recipe to the letter and did not add anything else.

I used 6 or 7 inch long zucchinis,. I used 1 zucchini per layer. Using the half a cup of cheese mixture left me with about a cup and a third for the last layer. My cooker is a little over half full. I have some concern about how it will taste. I am thinking it could have used a bit of oregano and other herbs as well as some onion and garlic. Oh. I did not use any meat. I think it would be cool to put black olives and mushroom in with the cheese mixture too.

If I like it I will edit my copy of the recipe and try it that way. I did splurge and buy some ready to heat up garlic bread from the grocery bakery. It was beckoning from the stand next to the checkout line. How could I refuse?

It will be ready at 1 AM my time. Open lines, Zucchini Lasagna and Garlic Bread! Woo-hoo!

grumpychick
Member Avatar
\[V]/
Sounds good! :drool:

I'll have to file it away for a night when I'm only cooking for myself, I'm the only one in the house that likes zucchini.
I always add more garlic because I have a garlic problem. :laugh:

I wonder if some crushed red pepper flakes would give it a bit of a bite or if that wouldn't mesh well with zucchini.
Posted Image"If you obey all the rules, you miss all the fun." - Katharine Hepburn
"I carried a watermelon." - Frances Houseman
"Everyone deserves the chance to FLY!" - Elphaba Thropp

Navi
Member Avatar
Infinite One
I imagine the the crushed red pepper would go well with zucchini.

Things did not go well for my first attempt at this recipe. 6 hours was too long a cook time. The cheese mix that was supposed to be all creamy and smooth became like rubberized curd. It was plain over cooked. Perhaps her crock pot is one of the older ones that cooks at lower temps. I will try again, add more zucchini, seasoning and cook for less time. It didn't taste bad it was just way over cooked and the texture was horrible. Oh and be sure to slice the zucchini at least 1/8 - 1/4 inch thick or a tad better. Because she said to use a mandolin to slice it I made the slices too thin and they basically disintegrated. I didn't use a mandolin I used the slot on the side of my box grater/shredder. This made the slices too thin. The thicker slices I did with a knife held up better.

grumpychick
Member Avatar
\[V]/
Aw man, sorry to hear that.
I guess you can classify it as a learning experience and now you know how to tweak the recipe to suit your crock-pot and likes?

Posted Image"If you obey all the rules, you miss all the fun." - Katharine Hepburn
"I carried a watermelon." - Frances Houseman
"Everyone deserves the chance to FLY!" - Elphaba Thropp

gameaddict4life
Member Avatar
Go Brew Crew!
This sounds good but I would replace the zucchini with pasta and put Italian sausage in it. Thanks for testing! :doh: :laugh:
Put your twinkie in my Nutella, it tastes good. Mallie from Darkness Radio
Posted Image

gameaddict4life
Member Avatar
Go Brew Crew!
Ever hear of dishwasher lasagne? It's a good tip if your oven is broke.
Put your twinkie in my Nutella, it tastes good. Mallie from Darkness Radio
Posted Image

Kamalam
Member Avatar
Advanced Boop
Navi
Aug 8 2015, 04:09 PM
I imagine the the crushed red pepper would go well with zucchini.

Things did not go well for my first attempt at this recipe. 6 hours was too long a cook time. The cheese mix that was supposed to be all creamy and smooth became like rubberized curd. It was plain over cooked. Perhaps her crock pot is one of the older ones that cooks at lower temps. I will try again, add more zucchini, seasoning and cook for less time. It didn't taste bad it was just way over cooked and the texture was horrible. Oh and be sure to slice the zucchini at least 1/8 - 1/4 inch thick or a tad better. Because she said to use a mandolin to slice it I made the slices too thin and they basically disintegrated. I didn't use a mandolin I used the slot on the side of my box grater/shredder. This made the slices too thin. The thicker slices I did with a knife held up better.

It's so interesting to read about your experience. I have had this happen to me with my crock pot. I wondered if mine ran hotter than the one in the recipe... very interesting. If so, that's a bummer because it means constantly having to re-think and readjust the settings. I am strongly considering getting a digital pressure cooker... there's this great Facebook group that I belong to that discusses nothing but plant based recipes for the Instant Pot (7-in-1 Multi-Functional Cooker--Pressure Cooker, Slow Cooker, Rice Cooker, Saute/Browning, Yogurt Maker, Steamer & Warmer). Just waiting for it to cost less on Amazon!
Posted Image

Navi
Member Avatar
Infinite One
I will definitely tweak this recipe and try it again.

Yes, Kam, I believe my slow cooker runs at higher temps. Last year I had a similar issue with a recipe and discovered that the cooking temps for slow cookers were raised industry-wide a few years ago. This is because people had gotten food poisoning from food prepared in the original slow cookers. I am sorry now that I got rid of my Rival crockpots. They were the old one piece round ones and worked great, but I just had to have one with the removable crock and couldn't justify keeping the other two as well. Oh duh! I never had any problems with my old crockpots and we never got food poisoning. I imagine that the people who got sick either misused theirs or the crockpots were defective to begin with. I noticed that the new one really got things hot on the low setting, plus cooked things more quickly than the recipes recommended, so I started researching it online. I am now wondering if I should try using the keep warm setting to cook some things on low. I was aware of this issue when I made the recipe, but was thinking that she had a newer crockpot. I think my assumption was wrong.

The new digital pressure cookers are supposed to be wonderful. I have never used pressure cookers by choice, but have a friend who has for years. She traded her old one in (gave to Salvation Army) and got a digital one. She loves it.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · Cooking & Gardening · Next Topic »
Add Reply