Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Into Infinity. We hope you enjoy your visit.

A Place For Live COAST TO COAST AM Chat.

We welcome our fellow Art Bell & Coast to Coast fans that are looking for a new home.

Note: For those of you that have tried registering before we previously had a problem with the registering process that has now been corrected.

Please try again.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Art Bell has quit Coast
Topic Started: Dec 23 2010, 05:01 AM (19,646 Views)
BeanBoy
Member Avatar
Pushing the Limits
Kamalam
Dec 26 2010, 01:47 PM
You're probably right, Sean, but man!

From the thread mentioned above, I thought this was interesting
:

"Kraig Kitchin has announced his resignation as president of Premier Radio Networks. Kraig Kitchen was co-founder of Premier Radio and many of you have heard Art Bell talk about how much he helped Art through difficult times. This announcement was apparently made the same day Art Bell announced his retirement.

This article on Unknown Country, gives some insight with respect to the corporate culture at Clear Channel. It might give further insight as to the reason for Art Bell's resignation. It is clear that the company line stating that Art Bell resigned because he wanted to spend more time with family is just so much bovine excrement.

Kraig Kitchin has stated that his future projects will be much more tightly focused. I can't help but wonder if some future collaboration between Art Bell and Kraig Kitchin might be in the works? Perhaps one not so burdened with heavy handed control by Clear Channel? We can only speculate and hope."
Rolley James or something like that?

Skookum
Member Avatar
~**~
BeanBoy
Dec 26 2010, 08:22 PM
Rollye James - - - rollye.net

I think she last guest-hosted on Coast from Oct. '07 'til Jan. '08. I looked around her site, no search function. Her blog is REALLY hard to read.
Only thing about it I found was this; & I don't think it's what "they're" talking about.
Quote:

MONDAY JANUARY 7, 2008 2:50 AM (PT) A flurry of inquires recently over whether I'd continue to host Coast to Coast. No. Last Wednesday was my final appearance. OK, so everyone asks why?! For one thing, I was never comfortable with the show this go round. It never seemed like a good fit to me, given it's current direction on and off the air. But after almost six months of doing it, what it really came down to is not having the time or energy to devote to it. My main thrust is this weekday show, (for which there is a loyal audience-- and I thank every one of you for that). A lot more goes into doing a talk show than the hours you hear. And I realized that, at least at this point in my life, I really enjoy that two day reset weekends bring me, so I can come back Mondays looking forward to talking to you, which I'm eager to do right now.

http://www.rollye.net/BlogArchives2008.html
"It's been on Facebook and some of the other social diseases."

-- Jay Witherbee
Posted Image

Lady Cathryn Collins
Member Avatar
WOOF!! WOOF!! I am watching you. WOOF!!
Sean_
Dec 26 2010, 03:35 PM
There was a female guest host who quit a couple of years ago. Can't remember her name. She wrote a fairly long e mail explaining the history of Coast and why the show wasn't no longer a good fit for her. I think you can find it at Coast Gab if you do a search.

Sounds like a shakeup going on at Premier, or as the corporates call it, a restructuring.
Rilley James. Not sure I spelled her first name right. They really insulted her. Was why she walked.

New Collinsport Isle

"If we do not learn to live together.
We will have to learn to die together.." ~~ JFK Quote.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Mark
Member Avatar
Infinite One
also...Barbara Simpson

Barbara Simpson is an American radio talk show host. She is most notable as the host of Coast to Coast AM on Saturday nights from about 2000 until about 2003, alternating with George Noory, but has also been a long-time host of her own show on KSFO (AM). She occasionally hosted the show on other nights as well, but has not hosted since 2004 or early 2005. As a substitute for the show's founder and current weekend host, Art Bell, Simpson was known for her conservative political views.

from Wikipedia via Ask.com

Posted Image

Sean_
Member Avatar
VAPER
Skookum
Dec 27 2010, 01:00 AM
BeanBoy
Dec 26 2010, 08:22 PM
Rollye James - - - rollye.net

I think she last guest-hosted on Coast from Oct. '07 'til Jan. '08. I looked around her site, no search function. Her blog is REALLY hard to read.
Only thing about it I found was this; & I don't think it's what "they're" talking about.
Quote:

MONDAY JANUARY 7, 2008 2:50 AM (PT) A flurry of inquires recently over whether I'd continue to host Coast to Coast. No. Last Wednesday was my final appearance. OK, so everyone asks why?! For one thing, I was never comfortable with the show this go round. It never seemed like a good fit to me, given it's current direction on and off the air. But after almost six months of doing it, what it really came down to is not having the time or energy to devote to it. My main thrust is this weekday show, (for which there is a loyal audience-- and I thank every one of you for that). A lot more goes into doing a talk show than the hours you hear. And I realized that, at least at this point in my life, I really enjoy that two day reset weekends bring me, so I can come back Mondays looking forward to talking to you, which I'm eager to do right now.

http://www.rollye.net/BlogArchives2008.html
You can read the rather lengthy e mail HERE

Don't think about all those things you fear. Just be glad to be here.

Posted Image

Skookum
Member Avatar
~**~
Thank You, Sean ~ :wintersean:

I do like Rollye! :coolgirl:

-- Jay Witherbee
Posted Image

Sean_
Member Avatar
VAPER
Kamalam
Dec 26 2010, 01:47 PM
You're probably right, Sean, but man!

From the thread mentioned above, I thought this was interesting
:

"Kraig Kitchin has announced his resignation as president of Premier Radio Networks. Kraig Kitchen was co-founder of Premier Radio and many of you have heard Art Bell talk about how much he helped Art through difficult times. This announcement was apparently made the same day Art Bell announced his retirement.

This article on Unknown Country, gives some insight with respect to the corporate culture at Clear Channel. It might give further insight as to the reason for Art Bell's resignation. It is clear that the company line stating that Art Bell resigned because he wanted to spend more time with family is just so much bovine excrement.

Kraig Kitchin has stated that his future projects will be much more tightly focused. I can't help but wonder if some future collaboration between Art Bell and Kraig Kitchin might be in the works? Perhaps one not so burdened with heavy handed control by Clear Channel? We can only speculate and hope."
Kam, that happened in 2007.
Don't think about all those things you fear. Just be glad to be here.

Posted Image

Kamalam
Member Avatar
Advanced Boop
Ooooh, thanks Sean. I wonder why that post even came up then? Oh well.

Hope we hear something soon...

Skookum
Member Avatar
~**~
Quote:

Events of 2010

Art Bell hosted 10 episodes in 2010, 5 short of his publicly-announced, contractually-specified quota of 15 shows per year.

His last hosting gig was his annual Ghost To Ghost show on Halloween night (the first time he ever used call screeners).

As of December 18, 2010, Art was no longer listed as a host on the Coast to Coast website; his shows were no longer searchable under his name; and the only references to Bell on the site are of an historical or archival nature. (Somewhere In Time with Art Bell continues to run on Saturday nights before the live show.)

On 12/21/10 the "HamCam" on Art's ham radio website featured an image with the following cryptic wording: "The Wind No Longer Blows, in the End it was Without Direction. Long Live the Hot Air. 30". Fans on Art-centric comment boards have identified "30" as "a sign-off when a Ham has their final transmission from a particular location."
Other interpretations are similar: "The End", "Good Night", "No More".

It was announced that Ian Punnett would host Art's annual two-part New Year's Eve prediction shows. Initially, Noory had said that Art was unable to host them because he would be traveling, but on 12/24/10 Noory said: "We had asked Art to do his predictions show; he's going to spend time with his family. He's winding down, folks, he's winding down....I don't anticipate he'll do any more shows."

On the first of the two nights (12/30/10), Punnett made a brief, oblique reference to his having the honor of "picking up Art's fallen mantle".

Other than the above remarks from Punnett, Noory and Bell, as of 12/31/10, no other official comment about Art's sudden absence from Coast (even given his limited schedule) had yet been made, either on air, on the website, or via press release, by any party with the knowledge or authority to clarify/confirm the situation--not by the show's other hosts, producers, Premier Radio Networks, or Art Bell himself.

LINK

-- Jay Witherbee
Posted Image

BeanBoy
Member Avatar
Pushing the Limits
R.I.P C2C. :salute:

Deleted User
Deleted User

I have been keeping an eye on this situation. I am the person who created and has been maintaining the "events of 2010" subsection in Art's Wikipedia entry.

I wrote an email to Lisa Lyon earlier today; to my surprise I received a substantial response. Both are copied below.

Yes, perhaps I was a little harsh (some would probably say not harsh enough...) but then I honestly didn't expect a reply, much less a timely one, as my other messages to them have been ignored.

Make of it what you will.

from Matthew *******
to lisa@coasttocoastam.com,
tom@coasttocoastam.com
date Mon, Jan 3, 2011 at 5:37 PM
subject Lost Listener

Hello,

I have been a faithful Coast to Coast AM listener for nearly ten years and a frequent Streamlink subscriber since 2006. This message is to notify you that as a result of Art Bell's no longer being associated with Coast to Coast AM in any capacity except archival, combined with the general decline in quality and increasingly fringe-right/end-times agenda/mentality that seems to have gripped the show under George Noory, and capped with the virtually unlistenable predictions show, I will no longer be an active listener to Coast, with the exception of shows hosted by George Knapp.

Furthermore, unless the archives of episodes prior to 2006 (particularly and especially the years of Art-hosted shows) are opened and made available for download, I will never again subscribe to Streamlink so long as Noory is the primary host of the show. And I will do all that I can from this point forward to actively discourage anyone I know both from listening to Coast to Coast AM and from subscribing to Streamlink.

What was once a great, proud, groundbreaking and independent radio institution is now nothing more than a product hosted by a tool with an audience of fools. I sincerely hope that Mr. Bell finds a new and worthier forum--or finds a way to reclaim the one he founded. Its current occupant is unworthy of the throne.

I speak for myself in this message, but I am certain, and you can be too, that my letter represents the feelings of countless numbers of other lost listeners.

Thank you for your time,

Matthew *******

from Lyon, Lisa <llyon@premiereradio.com>
to Matthew ******
date Mon, Jan 3, 2011 at 6:29 PM
subject RE: Lost Listener

Thanks for your thougtful reply Matthew. I'm sorry that your feelings for Coast to Coast AM are so hostile. Art Bell will always be associated with our show, and he is welcome back to the mic whenever he feels the need. As for the doom, Art himself had a much more heavy hand with the end of the world as we know it scenario that we have at the current time. As you recall Y2K was a huge theme on his shows at the time as was huge Earth changes, mass extinction and even contact. Coming up on our current horizon is the countdown to 2012. We would be remiss not to consider all the possible scenarios. There is even a movement among Christians right now that the end will happen this spring, and we had yet to go there, but have been aware of it. We had listeners mentioning during our predictions show this year.

There is not doubt that Art Bell has been an award winning broadcaster, but it is also true that George Noory is enormously popular. I'm sorry that you feel the need to denegrate this show simply because your favorite host has chosen to retire.

I wish you well.

Lisa Lyon, Producer

Morgana
Member Avatar
++Color Commentator++
Thanks so much for posting this. So, she says that he has retired. Why was there no formal announcement? Very strange, but I will take her at her word and assume that Art has pulled the plug and won't be back. Sad, but everyone retires eventually. :sad:
The only reason people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory.

Posted Image

Kamalam
Member Avatar
Advanced Boop
Morphiaflow,

I totally applaud your email - it was harsh but ultimately very needed. Obviously there is a strong agenda to defend C2C under GN, but I'm glad you made your voice heard. I have already cancelled my Streamlink subscription and indicated my reasons for doing so directly relate to Noory's handling of the show. I too indicated a need for more George Knapp.

I can't help but hold out the hope for AB to reappear on the radio scene. If that is never to be, at least I won't be throwing my $$ away on C2C. Just the other day I downloaded Whitley's show from iTunes... I will stick with that for the time being and listen to old AB as I can find it on the net. There are some good classics on iTunes and other sources.

Thanks for letting us know the latest... it is appreciated.

Skookum
Member Avatar
~**~
Morphiaflow, Welcome to our humble forum!! Glad to have you here! :cool:

Thanks much for posting this ..... I think we're all very curious for as much clarification as we can find. Also - - Thank You for your very well-written Wiki contribution; seems to be a clear, concise, factual, unemotional account.

I'm impressed that Lisa at least responded to your e-mail; imo ....... too bad she didn't seem to "take it to heart".

-- Jay Witherbee
Posted Image

Morgana
Member Avatar
++Color Commentator++
I think that most long time Coast listeners agree the quality of the show had suffered. That has everything to do with who is hosting. Ian and George Knapp do a wonderful job with most of the guests they are given to interview. They make the shows interesting. George N. does not. It is sad that the producers refuse to acknowledge the deterioration of the show content. I hardly pay attention most nights to what is being said. It really all depends on how the guest is handled, guided by the host. I recently visited a site from a guest that was on with Ian. She stated that Ian was a pro and made the interview easy and interesting.
The producers response reminds of me of a company that has a bad reputation as an employer, but continues to tell everyone what a great place it is to work and how they value their employees, all evidence to the contrary. As if continually reiterating this will make it so. :rolleyes: Never has worked, never will.
The only reason people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory.

Posted Image

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · C2C Hosts, Anything C2C · Next Topic »

By S&D of GForce