Add Reply
Dr. Who (Spoilers!)
Topic Started: Apr 16 2010, 05:03 PM (6,360 Views)
Sean_
Member Avatar
VAPER
Anyone watch this series? I've been watching this since i was a kid. Well, the earlier ones were really for kids, with the cheesy 1960's special effects that lasted well into the 80's.

The series reboot in 2005 marked a change in the storyline, the effects, and the personality of the Doctor, to a darker, more serious theme that adults could appreciate. I think the series finally grew up to attract the viewers who had already grown up years ago.

I got rehooked on the series when Christopher Eccleston played The Doctor. He had a really dark personality which changed the mood of the series which i think appealed to the adult viewers. Its too bad he quit only after one year.

Then came David Tennant who although was good, i still missed the edginess that Eccleston brought to the Doctor.
I did think Tennant's last episode when he knew was about to die was great. He tied up a lot of loose ends and errors he had previously made.

So this Saturday the new Doctor starts his run and with it a new personality.
Don't think about all those things you fear. Just be glad to be here.

Posted Image
Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Sean_
Member Avatar
VAPER
"Doctor Who" returns with usual wit, depth

"Doctor Who" might be the world's most perfect series because it never has to end. (Let's ignore the hiatus in the 1990s.)

Randee Dawn
Thu Apr 15, 2010 11:31pm

On the air nonconsecutively since 1963, "Who" comes with a built-in reboot system: a lead whose alien properties allow him to regenerate his body (letting a new actor fill old shoes). So fans who know where to look already will be aware of the Doctor's latest incarnation: He has gone from plucky-yet-worldly-wise David Tennant to bow-tie-wearing goof Matt Smith, who debuts Sunday on BBC America.

Additionally, his traveling time machine, the TARDIS, has been revamped into a steampunker's dream, and his traveling companion has gotten even younger, perhaps to match up with Smith's wide-open, baby face.

There's little to be said about "Who" that fans don't know; for example, they probably know just how the series is going to find a loophole in the Doctor's 13-regeneration limit (Smith is No. 11). But newcomers to the series owe it to themselves to start making this appointment television as it's some of the best-produced, cheekiest and imaginative storytelling on the tube.

It's family-friendly and adult-pleasing, over-the-top and nightmarish, witty and deep all at the same time: "You are not of this world," someone tells the Doctor; the longtime savior of Earth replies, "No, but I've put a lot of work into it."

Hard to tell how Smith's Doctor stands up yet. He spends a long time doing slapstick spit-takes with a child in her kitchen, and easing into the main plot (a spaceship run by a giant eyeball is seeking a prisoner who hides in the girl's home) takes time. But by the time the Doctor's full powers regain strength, Smith finds his feet and summons the menace and authority to make that eyeball blink. In that moment, he becomes the Doctor.

However, there's a dismaying trend away from scary and into silly in the Doctor trend (Christopher Eccleston, the first since the 2005 series re-start, was eccentric and sinister even when laughing). But the fact is, the Brits know how to be self-deprecating and tell a ripping yarn at the same time. Those just now hopping into that big blue box for a trip around space and time are in for a treat, because even when imperfect, "Doctor Who" is always worth keeping your eye on

http://www.reuters.com/article/idUSTRE63F0EX20100416

Posted Image

Mark
Member Avatar
On the Other Side(?)
...the first Dr. Who I saw was with Christopher Eccleston - the episode when the Doctor and Rose Tyler were in the department store when the mannequins came to life and went homicidal.
Then David Tennant, who is a Shakespearean actor, as I understand it. First CBC carried the show then BBC America. At first, the Britslangy dialogue went so fast I wanted subtitles, but ...I got used to it.
I am amused, and will be avidly watching this season's fare.
Glad you're there with it too, Sean.

9:00 p.m. EST Saturday (today) on BBC America where I live.

Posted Image
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Sean_
Member Avatar
VAPER
Same time here. Different channel.

Posted Image

Navi
Member Avatar
Infinite One
Dr. Who!!!

Been watching since Tom Baker. Even went back and watched some of the older series when I had a chance. Thanks for the reminder! I had checked a couple of weeks ago and have been waiting, but had forgotten just when it made a reappearance.

Not sure how it will be with Davies gone, but I usually adjust to each new Doctor and production staff.

Eccleston was marvelous wasn't he? But I liked Tennant too.

Thank heaven the special effects have improved since Baker's day. :laugh:
My choice? All the way down the rabbit hole.Posted Image

Sean_
Member Avatar
VAPER
Navi
Apr 17 2010, 02:32 AM
Dr. Who!!!

Been watching since Tom Baker. Even went back and watched some of the older series when I had a chance. Thanks for the reminder! I had checked a couple of weeks ago and have been waiting, but had forgotten just when it made a reappearance.

Not sure how it will be with Davies gone, but I usually adjust to each new Doctor and production staff.

Eccleston was marvelous wasn't he? But I liked Tennant too.

Thank heaven the special effects have improved since Baker's day. :laugh:
Oh man ya! If it wasn't for Baker's unique eccentricity the show would of been unbearable. How long did he play Dr. Who? 11? 14 years? Something like that.

Posted Image

circledancer
Member Avatar
Conspiracy Realist
Saw it as a kid in Britain, John Pertwee I think was the Doctor then, Was spellbound by the Tartus and the concept of dimension, hated the Dialecs and generally could not wait for the next episode, which, by the way was followed by the original Batman series.......Oh the innocence of the 60's :bubblegummer:
"Echo in Transit"

Navi
Member Avatar
Infinite One
Now you got me Sean. :scratchhead: I had to look Tom Baker up in wikipedia. 7 years.

My long term memory = sieve.

And I can't imagine how cool it must have been to live in GB and see Jon Pertwee as the Doctor. Lucky circledancer!

Guess I'd better set the machine to record too. Never know when something will come up and poof! you miss the show.

Mark
Member Avatar
On the Other Side(?)
Posted Image

Do you want fries with that?

...sorry
maybe he'll look older in a suit.

Posted Image

Sean_
Member Avatar
VAPER
Navi
Apr 17 2010, 11:03 AM
Now you got me Sean. :scratchhead: I had to look Tom Baker up in wikipedia. 7 years.

My long term memory = sieve.

And I can't imagine how cool it must have been to live in GB and see Jon Pertwee as the Doctor. Lucky circledancer!

Guess I'd better set the machine to record too. Never know when something will come up and poof! you miss the show.

Only seven years! It seemed like a lot longer.

Posted Image

Sean_
Member Avatar
VAPER
Well? What did you think?

My opinion?

WANNA TAKE A RIDE?

:smile:

Posted Image

Navi
Member Avatar
Infinite One
Sean_
Apr 18 2010, 09:05 AM

My opinion?

WANNA TAKE A RIDE?

:redface: Haven't watched yet. Recorded it because my son wanted to watch something else. It is so rare for him to watch TV in the living room with me that I recorded the show and watched the show he wanted to watch.
Will watch it later, maybe later today.

Sean_
Member Avatar
VAPER
Navi
Apr 19 2010, 02:56 AM
Sean_

My opinion?

WANNA TAKE A RIDE?

:redface: Haven't watched yet. Recorded it because my son wanted to watch something else. It is so rare for him to watch TV in the living room with me that I recorded the show and watched the show he wanted to watch.
I didn't provide any details just in case some one didn't watch it yet. :smile:

Posted Image

Navi
Member Avatar
Infinite One
Sean_
Apr 19 2010, 03:31 AM
Navi
Apr 19 2010, 02:56 AM
Sean_

My opinion?

WANNA TAKE A RIDE?

I didn't provide any details just in case some one didn't watch it yet. :smile:

:smile: Yes I noticed. Thank you for that.

Navi
Member Avatar
Infinite One
Watched it tonight. :biggrin:
I think it's gong to be a good series this season!

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · Viewing Entertainment · Next Topic »
Add Reply