Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Guardian - 11th August @ WHW; Inquisitor Revised Edition playtest day
Topic Started: 1 Jun 2018, 06:13 PM (799 Views)
MarcoSkoll
Member Avatar
Second Lieutenant
Guardian
Warhammer World, 11th August

Tales of old tell of The Guardian - a formidable warrior who felled the ancient beast Shadowblight.

Inquisitorial Scholars agree that the tale is a metaphor manufactured when the Inquisition was but young, a lie to hide the truth from the weak minded - Shadowblight was a warp storm of gargantuan magnitude, destined to cut off the sector from the light of the Astronomican.

The Inquisition's Navigators have read the tides of the Warp, the Emperor's Tarot shows dark omens and the Great Rift stains the sky; such darkness is coming again.

To protect the sector, the Inquisition must un-weave their own mystery, and rediscover the truth of the Guardian.

~~~~~

A one-day narrative Inquisitor event, which will be using some of the games on the day to playtest the latest version of the Inquisitor Revised Edition rules.

The event is planned to be 28mm scale based on responses from players so far, but can be opened to 54mm players as well if enough people express interest.

The Player Pack is here.

An updated version of the IRE rules will be coming before the event.

Original Post:

Again, sorry for dumping this in the wrong place, but the other INQ28 boards seem to be a bit of an oubliette.

Although I am already planning the event in London, I'd like to run the next playtest day for my Inquisitor Revised Edition project sometime this year.
This will still be a normal open narrative day with an underlying story to back it up (it'll just be that any games I GM will be using the Revised Edition rules*), and so I'm proposing that it helps fill in the currently pretty empty schedule of open Inquisitor events at Warhammer World this year. (I'd normally elect to hold the playtest closer to me, but it wouldn't be very considerate for me to run all my events this year down south when there's none in Nottingham).
*And IRE deliberately tries to keep the feel of original Inquisitor, with a very high degree of back compatibility, so it's not like you're going to be playing something grossly different.

At the moment, I have a few potentially interested responses from 28mm scale players (but so far very few from 54mm players), so I'm also copying this over here to see if anyone else is available/interested.

I spent today trying to phone WHW about dates, but I didn't manage to get any more than an answer-phone. I'm planning on putting this before the London event I'm planning (as I'm expecting it'll be a smaller event with less prep work - it also means that if anyone else wants to run anything in the tail end of the year, there's no conflict), so I'm looking at around the end of July/start of August. If people can pre-emptively rule out any of the following dates:

21st July
28th July
4th August
11th August

... then I'll know to avoid them if possible when I get through on the phone.
(My personal favourite would be 11th August, as this avoids me having to miss or work around other things, but I can do the others if absolutely necessary).

If possible, I'll be trying to get Mining Facility 42 as one of the tables, as I've been looking longingly at that board for Inquisitor since it was the Goblin Town board, but I haven't yet got to use it...
Edited by MarcoSkoll, 14 Jun 2018, 02:41 PM.

BeardGoblin
Member Avatar
Colour Sergeant
Hey Marco - I would be *tentativelly* interested in this if it took place on either of the August dates. I'm just up the road from Nottingham, so this would be much more feasible than your proposed London event (which is also tempting, but probably not viable for me :/).

I'll keep an eye on how this develops.

In the meantime - any notion of what you'd like people to bring/not bring to the tables on this one?
Or a chance to get a gander at the rules (I haven't seen Inquisitor rules since I donated my rulebook 10+ yrs ago!).

Cheers!

*Edit - maybe if I clicked the link in your post to the rules, I wouldn't ask redundant questions ;)
Edited by BeardGoblin, 2 Jun 2018, 10:39 AM.

MarcoSkoll
Member Avatar
Second Lieutenant
Quote:

any notion of what you'd like people to bring/not bring to the tables on this one?
I'm fairly open on that one - I'd like to give the rules a proper stress test, so a broad range of characters would be fairly welcome.

(Although I wouldn't want to see a smorgasbord of them, I've not really had much chance to see how the rules react to Space Marines, for example, so I wouldn't object to people bringing them for appropriate scenarios).

On a certain level, it would be nice to see things like the melee rules tried with a wider range of weapons (so far, the last playtest day mostly saw people bringing the Reach 3 swords that are commonplace under the LRB, but in IRE it's not always an advantage to have a long weapon), but I'm not really expecting people to start equipping characters with IRE in mind until the ruleset gains more traction.

euansmith
Member Avatar
Major
Nottingham sounds doable. Saturdays would be preferable for me. What time would you be looking at starting and finishing?

MarcoSkoll
Member Avatar
Second Lieutenant
I'd be looking at using the full day - 10 to 6, but the schedule will probably be a bit loose (I'll probably need a bit of set-up/pack down time, as I'll probably want to bring some of my recent terrain projects), so I wouldn't be torn if people had to turn up a bit late or leave a bit early.

euansmith
Member Avatar
Major
10 'til 6 sounds fine. Not to early a start for me to get there from Brum. I'd better crack on with making a retinue of some sort. Do you have a theme, like for your Darksphere Day?

Ahistorian
Member Avatar
Corporal
I clicked interested!

MarcoSkoll
Member Avatar
Second Lieutenant
euansmith

Not to early a start for me to get there from Brum.
It's a slightly unpleasantly early start for me, which is why I held the last test day in London, but as Legacy at the London GT was already two days and I'll be running the Dark Sphere day in September, I felt I needed to hold this one in Nottingham to even things up a bit.

Quote:

Do you have a theme, like for your Darksphere Day?
I'm currently thinking that it'll be centred around rumours of ancient archaeotech or a forbidden artefact (possibly with some kind of "stars aligning once every X thousand years" element), although that's obviously only broad thoughts at the moment. (Although I intend to run this before the day in London, that day has been on my mind a little longer).

Ahistorian

I clicked interested!
It's possible you've mixed up the two events I'm currently planning (a rules playtest in Nottingham, and a more straightforward event in London). Unless I'm having a complete brain fart, I can't recall having made any Facebook event page (or other place you could "click interested") for this event yet.

MarcoSkoll
Member Avatar
Second Lieutenant
I have now booked the Necromunda Sector Mechanicus table and two standard tables at Warhammer World on the 11th August. (Unfortunately, Mining Facility 42 was already spoken for :( ).

And with that, I announce Guardian:

Guardian
Warhammer World, 11th August

Tales of old tell of The Guardian - a formidable warrior who felled the ancient beast Shadowblight.

Inquisitorial Scholars agree that the tale is a metaphor manufactured when the Inquisition was but young, a lie to hide the truth from the weak minded - Shadowblight was a warp storm of gargantuan magnitude, destined to cut off the sector from the light of the Astronomican.

The Inquisition's Navigators have read the tides of the Warp, the Emperor's Tarot shows dark omens and the Great Rift stains the sky; such darkness is coming again.

To protect the sector, the Inquisition must un-weave their own mystery, and rediscover the truth of the Guardian.

~~~~~

Guardian will be a one-day narrative Inquisitor event, which will be using some of the games on the day to playtest the latest version of the Inquisitor Revised Edition rules.

The event is planned to be 28mm scale based on responses from players so far, but can be opened to 54mm players as well if enough people express interest.

An updated version of the IRE rules and a full event pack will be forthcoming in the next few days.

euansmith
Member Avatar
Major
Cool. I look forward to the event pack.

euansmith
Member Avatar
Major
I'm fiddling around with the idea of a Viharvadász (Stormhunter); a minor noble who has lost her homeworld to a Warp Storm and has been hunting them ever since, hoping to learn their secrets. A tale of something or someone capable of ending a Warp Storm could be the answer to her quest.

BeardGoblin
Member Avatar
Colour Sergeant
@euansmith - sounds cool. I was toying with a dogged and 'played straight' Ordo Hereticus. So It looks like I'll have some 'dangerous fool' hell bent on unleashing 'forces they cannot understand' to thwart ;)

On a practical note, as I've been figuring out what models to sort out for this event - is there a method for/a standard practice in place for determining warband size, suitable equipment, etc?

Also, looking at the Warhammer World site - how stringent is their 'Models must be identifiably GW' policy? It states that all body parts, arms, torso's, legs heads and weapons etc must be GW.

I'm no stranger to 3rd party parts (I date back to the days when 'use whatever you can get your hands on' was about the only way to indulge in the hobby, and I'm not about to stop that now), but I have no problem abiding by that rule. I have plenty of GW bits. I'm more curious about stuff from things like model kits etc. For example my Kastelan Robot (not that I intend to use that for the event!) has several parts from a 1/72 tank kit mixed in with the GW stuff. How would that go down?

Mainly just curious, on that last question.

MarcoSkoll
Member Avatar
Second Lieutenant
@euansmith: That sounds interesting, particularly if people like BeardGoblin want to play the Puritan angle as well.
(As already hinted, it's not that the Inquisition has just forgotten about the Guardian, they actually deliberately buried the truth - so there may be some characters who feel it should stay hidden...)

@BeardGoblin: In practice, WHW staff are unlikely to spot models that use a few 3rd party parts (they have other things to do other than peer closely at every model in the hall, and Inquisitor events are full of heavily converted, OOP and scratch-built models anyway), and they tend to be a bit more lenient than the website claims, particularly regarding about parts that aren't from rivals to GW.

I had my 54mm NPC Imperial Guard squad up there on one occasion, and was asked about them by one of the staff; I owned up to them being "army men" with a load of green stuff and Cadian bitz, but they were fine with that - army men aren't exactly a competitor product to GW!
So something like a Kastelan with a few 1/72 tank parts would probably not be too much of a problem. (Although, yes, rather overpowered to use as a character in Inquisitor, although it's not unthinkable one could be "boss" for a scenario).

I'll leave it to each individual's discretion as to whether they think a model is acceptable. I won't personally be enforcing the rule, as I'm not GW staff and therefore not empowered to make that decision for them (nor, frankly, will I have the spare time to be able to inspect every model).

~~~~~

As far as picking characters and building your warband, the standard practice for Inquisitor events is that your overall warband can be any reasonable size, but you pick (normally) three characters out of it for every game - enough to give the gameplay a decent dynamic while keeping things reasonably brisk.

When it comes to the power level of the characters, the Revised Edition is largely written to work with the Conclave Standard, which is the prevalent guidelines within the community (at least the parts of it I've been developing and testing the rules with, anyway).

More precise details than that (such as my notes on tweaks needed to turn LRB characters to IRE characters*) will come as I finalise the event briefing.

* Most characters will need little if any adjustment**, but IRE does introduce things like Psy Rating for psykers (allowing a differentiation between the power and the skill of a psyker), so there are a few notes that will need to be made on old character sheets to get them into full order.

** The intention is that IRE is largely compatible to the LRB - the main goal is to allow IRE characters to be easily used with the LRB so that groups can adopt IRE without it being a pain to go to events run with the LRB, but it does mean that only minor tweaks are needed in the other direction.

MarcoSkoll
Member Avatar
Second Lieutenant
I've just finished putting together the draft version of the player pack for Guardian: http://www.mediafire.com/file/1cbv2zu5lged9x8/Inquisitor+Guardian+Player+Pack+V0-1.pdf

It's possible that some details will be updated as the event gets closer, but this should set out at least a general picture of how the event will be run.

BeardGoblin
Member Avatar
Colour Sergeant
Cheers Marco, thats all very helpful! I shall endeavour to err on the side of GW parts, but not worry overmuch about the odd bit from 'other' sources, as long as its not too obvious!

Oooh, players pack? Better read that, too!

Quote:

particularly if people like BeardGoblin want to play the Puritan angle as well.

so there may be some characters who feel it should stay hidden...

I'm quite happy to play that angle! I already had a 'Knowledge gets hidden for a reason!' type inqisitor in the works, I shall fast track him and some cronies!

I can, however, be flexible on that, given enough notice.

euansmith
Member Avatar
Major
This'll be my first game of Inq28, so would it be okay to submit a retinue to you in advance for advice and guidance?

MarcoSkoll
Member Avatar
Second Lieutenant
Sure, I'm always willing to offer advice on Inquisitor.

Whether you should listen to me is however a matter for debate...

Ahistorian
Member Avatar
Corporal
I'm local but will be working on that morning - is it OK to take part in only games 2 and 3?

MarcoSkoll
Member Avatar
Second Lieutenant
That's not a problem - it will be a hindrance to your characters' chances of uncovering the truth before everyone else, but my stories have to be somewhat flexible about numbers anyway.

euansmith
Member Avatar
Major
I'm sure there will be "helpfully" people available to fill the late comer in on the discoveries... all honest and unbiased, like. ;)

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · INQ28 Painting & Modelling · Next Topic »