Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Edmund Normal - ísenscúr
Topic Started: 13 Mar 2018, 10:52 AM (1,794 Views)
edmund_normal
Member Avatar
Corporal
'Ey up -

It really has been a while. I've been watching from the sidelines and to see the community I love so much develop so positively has been so inspiring. After a good year at least spent grumbling away under stifling self-imposed hard targets, I've decided to dip my toe again, this time with a gentler approach - I've been much more productive and inspired as a result.

I threw together a derivative squat operative when tinkering over the New Year, and really enjoyed it. That, coupled with an easy-to-replicate, grimdustrial, grubby paintjob and I thought it might have legs as a little gang project - the TR-2GA Pirates. The key for me, really, has been learning how to be happy with enough, in brush terms. I've decided I'm not out to win awards, I want to *enjoy* this thing I tell everyone is a 'hobby', for crying out loud! So, here goes nothing - I've got a soft target of five of these guys for a wee Necromunda-rumble with a chum:

Posted Image

And otherwise, for those of you who like that sort of thing - a picture framer mate and I had an idea of a way to make use of his off-cuts and some spare ply...:

Posted Image

Beyond all that, any tips on how to delete an auld, auld, auld thread? My last efforts here are now essentially fruitless reading because the photos are long gone. Any tips greatly appreciated.

Cheers
Edited by edmund_normal, 13 Mar 2018, 04:16 PM.

Ynneadwraith
Member Avatar
Warrant Officer First Class
Neat! Derivitive you might call them, but they've been the most convincing Kharadron-Squats I've seen so far. The trouble I've found is that the Kharadron models are already pretty techno-medieval with their steampunk aesthetic so there's difficulty making them feel '40k' enough.

The Scion helmet especially, and the Ad Mech backpacks sort that out very nicely :)

I'm also with you on the lighter approach to painting. While I'm in awe of many of the stellar painters I see, personally I prefer a quicker, rougher painting style while lets me put more ideas to plastic than I ever would if I was striving for perfect paint :)

edmund_normal
Member Avatar
Corporal
@Ynneadwraith

Crumbs, thanks a mil, mate! Absolutely - get the brushes out, move paint around and crucially, know when to put the brushes down and call something done.

Ynneadwraith
Member Avatar
Precisely :)

You can always come back to it at a later point for all the finishing touches if you've got a lull while waiting for bits or something like that.

euansmith
Member Avatar
Major
Those are a cool looking retinue. The work on the faces is especially impressive.

edmund_normal
Member Avatar
Corporal
@euansmith

Cheers mate!

KrautScientist
Member Avatar
Lieutenant
Already saw these over on your blog, and I really like the industrial feel they have! The colour scheme you are using for them just works so well!

Personally speaking, I am too much in love with the stock Kharadron heads to ever consider replacing them with scion helmets, but that's just a matter of personal preference. All in all, excellent work! :)

edmund_normal
Member Avatar
Corporal
@KrautScientist

Thanks a mil man - and thanks for the follow!

Yeah, I really wanted to give the orange boiler suit thing a go, and I'm pleased with the results.

Lysimachus
Member Avatar
Agreed with the others, these really are some of the nicest Khara-Squats I've seen. Great choice of bits (I especially like the head on the plasma pistol guy, bearded but without going full on dwarf-y, just right!) and the industrial/boiler suit scheme is perfect!

edmund_normal
Member Avatar
Corporal
@Lysimachus

Ah cheers man! A couple more from where that came from, then I'll be moving on to something else.

Cassarus
Member Avatar
Corporal
That's some lovely minis, well done!

BangDoll
Member Avatar
Ah yes those Squats are so good ! Very nice color scheme.

edmund_normal
Member Avatar
Corporal
Cheers!

edmund_normal
Member Avatar
Corporal
Hi all,

I've fallen foul of a serious loss of hobby mojo, of late. A few conversion false starts/rage-quits followed by a few paint-job false starts/rage-quits and I decided to pack the stuff away and wait until inspiration struck again. Whenever this happens, which is thankfully rare, I get back to the lore, the books and the fluff and bathe myself in the imagery. I’m really enjoying the rich vein of early-ish Horus Heresy novels; Legion and Mechanicum have been particularly well received.

Anyway, true to form, it came back, in the form of a desire to build some heroes/heroines of questionable intent, quite probably flavoured by the super cool Dark Mechanicus stuff in Mechanicum. So, here’s my stab at a Cult Operative. Which cult? I haven’t decided, hence the vanilla description. Doesn’t a decent camera phone go a hell of a long way!

Posted Image

Cheers,

BeardGoblin
Member Avatar
Colour Sergeant
edmund_normal
24 May 2018, 08:36 PM
"I've fallen foul of a serious loss of hobby mojo..."

Man, I know that feeling - on again, off again, on, wait, no, off again! Comiserations!

New operative look cool though - nice and dynamic, whilst not over-stating it.

I haven't tried the new Necromunda figs yet - well, a single half assembled Goliath, and an as yet untouched box of Orlocks. Must... recover... mojo...!

Also - this is at least the second thread I've seen that handy-dandy-mini-gripper widget - where do they come from? I work on teeny-tiny electronics all day, by the evening my hands are crampy crab-claws, a one of those would be a real boon!

EDIT: fixed borked quotation!
Edited by BeardGoblin, 24 May 2018, 09:15 PM.

Trappisto
Member Avatar
Sergeant
@BeardGoblin: It's a Citadel one! I have one and it's great, although you can't get the largest bases in it (40mm?)

Agreed with all the comments above - the Squats look great, particularly how they read well as 40k figures. The lack of big flowing beards really contributes to that I think, but they're still essentially 'Dwarven' (if you get me). It was probably said better above, that the plasma pistol guy really nails it.

The agent looks cool too - looking forward to seeing how it turns out!
Edited by Trappisto, 25 May 2018, 08:22 AM.

euansmith
Member Avatar
Major
My mojo failure has been dragging on for months, so it is nice to hear that you've managed to push through in to the bright fields beyond. The Operative is a great mini. The choice of head gives it a very mysterious appearance.

edmund_normal
Member Avatar
Corporal
@BeardGoblin, what @Trappisto said! It's a GW mini-holder-cum-cramp-preventer. A good bet for a fiver but sometimes the width of the damn thing can prevent access to certain bits of a mini, but it's hardly a problem. IIRC they don't spread for anything bigger than a 40mm base, though, but I imagine with something that size you'll need a different method of holding it anyway.

Cheers for your comments guys, and keep plugging on - the mojo does indeed return.

KrautScientist
Member Avatar
Lieutenant
The cult operative is a fantastic kitbash, mate! Thumbs up! :)

BeardGoblin
Member Avatar
Colour Sergeant
@Trappisto & @ edmund_normal - thanks guys! Of course, the website and my local store are both out of stock! Still, the ever helpful (and cheerful, I don't know how he does it!) Tristan at my local store tells me mid June for a re-stock. Soon. Soooon :)

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · INQ28 Painting & Modelling · Next Topic »