Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Detailed Terrain Advice
Topic Started: 6 Feb 2018, 03:43 AM (429 Views)
Virobrain
Member Avatar

I've been in the hobby for a few years now and I just stumbled into the Inq28/Blanchitzu scene and am in love. I would like to start making making the kind of hyper detailed space hulky terrain, the best example of which would be Sibbloth's Lesotho Two-Twelve stuff. https://www.instagram.com/p/BdVrsIMFhMx/
So now I'm looking for some advice on mostly where to source the parts for this kind of work, but also gerenal tips for how to go about building dense terrain rather than the sparse stuff I'm used to coming from 40k (and d&d, but that's usually really low detail by wargamer standards)

horrid74
Member Avatar
Corporal
Having a good bitz box helps. Have a closer look at the picture in the link you posted; Most of the components are parts of some other kit. At a glance the bulkheads are mostly cities of death walls. On of the cool wall bitz looks to be a half of a servo hauler body. I think the base is part of molded plastic gaming tile. One really sly thing he did to angle walls to conform to the floor section. It looks good and seems that much more interesting because stock city of death walls are only designed to go together inline or at right angles. He filled what would have been a messy join with plastic pipe and sheet (probably evergreen stuff). Building from 40k kits looks great and fits the theme but building even a modest structure can get quite expensive. It\s great if you happen to have some stuff on hand but costly if you are buying for a purpose build.

Apart from buying gobs of kits there are tons of great parts and found items you can use to build structures. Nothing reduces the cost of a hybrid project like getting half of your components for free or for next to nothing. Don't be too proud to consider any material source. Non GW models, building kits, kid's toys, plastic bird feeders. My best advice for sourcing cool stuff is to look at projects or artwork for inspiration. Dispense with being overwhelmed, and observe them clinically. Break the cool projects into simplified parts and sub assemblies in your minds eye then stow those shapes away in your head. Whenever you are going through a shop, the discards at work, or anywhere else you might find something neat grab it.

☺Ash
Member Avatar
Lieutenant
Have a look at this thread: Bobo's 3D Space Hulk

scrubber
Member Avatar
Warrant Officer Second Class
Didn't you guys at Ammo-bunker do a 3D space hulk at GW Games day once. Must be link somewhere ?

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
« Previous Topic · Terrain · Next Topic »