Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Modelling space and storage organisation - tips and ideas?
Topic Started: 29 Nov 2017, 06:05 PM (144 Views)
Bad Moon
Member Avatar
Colour Sergeant
I was wondering if anyone had any tips or links for cheap and cheerful storage solutions for their WIP and finished miniature projects, as well as bits and components? I'd also be interested in how people set up their cutting and painting areas so they're quick and easy to clean the mess away.

I seem to keep finding myself lost in a sea of parts and debris, and am rather envious when I see posts on the various blogs and social media of people with very nicely clean, tidy, and organised modelling spaces - I suspect it's the organisation aspect which allows the rest to follow.

It's a problem for me as the room in which I do my modelling must serve multiple functions, and I can't have everything left out all of the time - it would be better if I could tidy things away quickly and easily when needed. At the moment I store bits in several plastic takeaway boxes, which are all themselves stored in a big Ikea cardboard storage cube. This seems to get out of hand far too easily, as I end up with plastic trays stacked up all over the room.

My working space is a wooden bureau style desk which folds closed, and there's a big void of space towards the back which is begging for some kind of drawer or tray based storage system so I can do away with the takeaway/Ikea box madness.

I'm just trying to figure out what would be affordable and work best, I've looked at fishing tackle boxes, tool chests, and small workshop drawer units for things like screws and nails. I was thinking a couple of these or these could work, but I'd rather not pull the trigger on something like that only to discover there's a better solution I didn't consider.

Generally would be really grateful for any ideas or advice to get a good setup going. Also would be good to see photos of people's work spaces? I'll post one of mine later to illustrate the issue!
Member Avatar
Warrant Officer First Class
You may want to look at a company like Hobby Zone who do nice paint stations. I have their smallest one, and it's excellent for keeping several projects on at the same time. They also do full modular storage solutions, but I can't comment on those - having not used them.

Look at a toolbox to fill the space, especially ones with a flip lip compartment at the top. I have this one by Sealey on my desk, and the top section holds a good 200 paints. Something similar, but smaller, may help you with storage in the desk.
Bad Moon
Member Avatar
Colour Sergeant
Thanks Nerodine!

In the end I settled on a few sets of clear acrylic drawer units intended for cosmetics, which provide enough space to store all my bits and then some.

I really wanted a toolbox with drawers like the one you suggested for my paints and the like, but ended up opting for a cheaper cantilever style one, which seems to work well enough for now.

I'm thinking I will put together a modelling station myself in the new year for my cutting mat and WIPs, just need to order some cut-to-size plywood.
Member Avatar
I'm trying to reorganise a house to get in some desk, so I can have a work area.
1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you
« Previous Topic · Painting & Modelling Techniques and Tutorials · Next Topic »