Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Demiurg (take 2)
Topic Started: 19 Nov 2017, 08:26 PM (709 Views)
Inso
Member Avatar
Second Lieutenant
There is another Demiurg topic that I started on here but it became dead as a result of Photobucket being mean... so...

To cut a long story short... I quite liked the idea of rock-dwarfs in space so I decided to put some together. I used some bits from various companies and based the troops around GW Kharadron Overlords with converted heads.

These three are the first of the troopers:

Posted Image

They represent (bottom row from left to right) a drone controller, leader and mech. After a little bit of negative feedback, the leader got a trim:

Posted Image

The idea is that each unit has the three troopers above in it and is accompanied by a range of drones; both ground and air based. The first drones are these:

Posted Image

I need to re-base them to match the Demiurg but they are painted and in storage somewhere so I will have to dig them out, at some point, to do it. I also need to tidy up the base of the drone controller that is posted below (the first one of the Demiurg that I have painted):

Posted Image

The next one to be painted will be the mech.

Inso
Member Avatar
Second Lieutenant
Posted Image

That's the controller and the mech done now... next up is the leader (which is already started :) ).

euansmith
Member Avatar
Major
Officially frigging excellent!

Inso
Member Avatar
Second Lieutenant
Cheers :)

So... in a moment of drug induced (prescribed painkillers) euphoria, I went online and did some shopping and for some reason, I bought a radio controlled truck. It was cheap (luckily) but it is large and has six wheels.

I have no idea why I decided to buy the thing but, in hind-sight, it probably wasn't such a bad idea. I can turn it into a Demiurg super-heavy transport :) .

The truck is the one on the left and the image on the right is of the shape I quite like... but obviously, the vehicle will be MUCH larger :) . I reckon I can turn it into something quite interesting... with the added bonus that it will be able to move around under its own steam :

Posted Image

euansmith
Member Avatar
Major
Prescription drugs should have a warning, "Do not operate eBay whilst under the influence of this drug".

Inso
Member Avatar
Second Lieutenant
I have now finished the third Demiurg (the leader):

Posted Image

I have also started work on the army commander:

Posted Image

Inso
Member Avatar
Second Lieutenant
I did a bit of rooting about in storage boxes and have located the drones that I have assembled. 3 just need the bases doing and the other 3 need a lot more work. I have also started the three Demiurg troops for the next unit :) :

Posted Image

I thought I may as well get on with the next 3 Demiurg, seeing as I am sculpting heads for the commander and his driver already... may as well do them all :)

euansmith
Member Avatar
Major
Your re-purposing of the Gharr is great.

scrubber
Member Avatar
Warrant Officer Second Class
Just love your models, just wish I was anywhere near that good a sculpting.
Heads looking better cut down, before they reminded me of Bart Simpson hair cut.
Commander looking interesting, who makes the vehicle ?

Inso
Member Avatar
Second Lieutenant

The commander's vehicle is from here: https://store.warlordgames.com/collections/ghar-empire/products/ghar-command-crawler

euansmith
Member Avatar
Major
Have you seen the new Boromite Hauler from Warlord? It is 50 but has definite possibilities.

Inso
Member Avatar
Second Lieutenant
euansmith
16 Dec 2017, 06:42 PM
Have you seen the new Boromite Hauler from Warlord? It is 50 but has definite possibilities.
I have... and I think it is a very cool bit of kit.

I am toying with the idea of getting one... but I'm not sure whether I will get one for this project or something entirely different :)

Inso
Member Avatar
Second Lieutenant
The first three drones are now re-based and have joined their Demiurg owners:

Posted Image

I think that each of the drone squads will have six of these large drones in them, with a few aerial drones for spotting and shielding. I haven't decided on which aerial drones I will go for yet... so I will tick along with the big drones and Demiurg for now :) .

Konrad G
Member Avatar
Corporal
I still can't get over how phenomenal the greenstuff work you do is. How long have you been sculpting?

Inso
Member Avatar
Second Lieutenant
Konrad G
20 Dec 2017, 05:04 AM
I still can't get over how phenomenal the greenstuff work you do is. How long have you been sculpting?

To be fair... if I hadn't picked up a little more than the basics over the last 32 years of sculpting, I would hang my head in shame :)

I started sculpting with Milliput when I was 15 and then... I discovered Green Stuff and then I ACTUALLY started to sculpt a bit better.

My advice for sculpting has always been the same:

1. Make sure the putty is properly mixed.
2. Always keep your sculpting tools clean and moistened.
3. Work in layers and allow things to dry in between (that prevents you destroying earlier layers).
4. If you need sharp edges/smooth surfaces, rework the areas after allowing the putty to dry for 20 minutes.
5. Practice.
6. Practice.
7. Practice some more!
8. Be ready to scrape things off and start again... or bin what you are working on and start again.
9. Learn some anatomy so that you get the proportions correct and can pose the miniature properly.
10. Yep... more practice :)

Some people are gifted and can sculpt straight away. Others need to practice a lot.
Edited by Inso, 20 Dec 2017, 06:22 PM.

euansmith
Member Avatar
Major
I'll add my praise for your greenstuff work and for your inventiveness at re-purposing and converting minis.

Inso
Member Avatar
Second Lieutenant

This project has stalled... so I have been trying to get it moving again, by removing the need to sculpt every head. As a result, I decided to try using an old style, Mantic Steel Warrior head (now called militia) and this is what I ended up with:

Posted Image

He is a standard mechanic/engineer and has the usual Anvil Industry weapons and pack. I think the large size of the helmet works very well and I am going to continue with a few more of these :) .

euansmith
Member Avatar
Major
That Mantic head looks really rather sinister.

SDKFZ
Member Avatar
Warrant Officer First Class
Always liked those helmets. Too bad you cant buy them separate :(

Great kitbacking, Inso :)

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
ZetaBoards - Free Forum Hosting
Free Forums with no limits on posts or members.
Learn More · Sign-up for Free
« Previous Topic · Science Fiction Project Logs · Next Topic »