Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Palatine Spires; Inquisimunda at Adepticon 2018
Topic Started: 18 Nov 2017, 04:09 AM (2,022 Views)
Lysimachus
Member Avatar
Warrant Officer First Class
That looks great! Would be awesome to have a few flickering lights under/shining through the smog to represent the fires of industry (or battle!) lower in the Hive?

Wardsylvania
Member Avatar
Colour Sergeant
Lysimachus
14 Dec 2017, 11:42 PM
That looks great! Would be awesome to have a few flickering lights under/shining through the smog to represent the fires of industry (or battle!) lower in the Hive?
oooh I like that idea! Will test it out when I have some more clouds done.

Wardsylvania
Member Avatar
Colour Sergeant
I reached out to the Adepticon staff and secured two tables for us to use all day Sunday. This event is officially a GO!

supreme overlord
Member Avatar
Corporal
Wardsylvania
20 Dec 2017, 05:26 AM
I reached out to the Adepticon staff and secured two tables for us to use all day Sunday. This event is officially a GO!
That's great news! I wont be able to stay too late on sunday but I should be able to stay till about 3-4pm. I made sure I didnt schedule anything for that day on purpose.

Witchhammer
Member Avatar
Corporal
I have a class at 8pm so that seems perfect!

-jonny

Wardsylvania
Member Avatar
Colour Sergeant
Sunday the convention closes up at 16:30, so we can't go any later than that.
Only 90 days until Adepticon!
Edited by Wardsylvania, 22 Dec 2017, 02:57 AM.

Wardsylvania
Member Avatar
Colour Sergeant
Cloud Test #2

These were made from black polyester fiber instead of white. Much faster to make since I don't first have to spray them black, and they end up being darker.

They don't look the same in the pic as they do in real life. They have much better contrast in person.

Sector Mechanicus terrain piece because I was hoping that giving the camera something other than black clouds to focus on would result in the clouds looking closer to their real color. It didn't work :/ .

Posted Image

supreme overlord
Member Avatar
Corporal
those look amazing! I'm loving the dark look. I much prefer this darker grungy look compared to the clean and neat you'd think the rich would typically be. really fits the grim dark atmosphere.

Witchhammer
Member Avatar
Corporal
I think the black looks better and works to keep setting more cohesive if others are bringing set pieces. Win

supreme overlord
Member Avatar
Corporal
I'm not sure if anyone else is bringing terrain. I'm currently finishing up a big industrial terrain project made with homemade materials. It unfortunately doesnt fit this atmosphere at all or I would bring it. I'm in the process of making a few mini's as NPC's for the scenario. would love to brainstorm about our story behind the spires.

Wardsylvania
Member Avatar
Colour Sergeant
Since there is a consensus that the black clouds look better, and they're faster to make, black clouds it is :)

Regarding terrain, I'm still working on the sky cemetery, which is about 2' x 2'. If it's just the 3 (4?) of us, that may actually be sufficient.

As for story, @supremeoverlord, you had an idea for a chaos artifact. Perhaps it has been buried with someone in the cemetery. It's existence has become known and now multiple factions are attempting to obtain/destroy it?

Witchhammer
Member Avatar
Corporal
Piecing together what may be a good connection into the graveyard. I'm thinking something of a few spire tops incorporating the black atmosphere. Here are some sketches should be able to build in at least 3 modules Mabey two. Let me know what you guys think..
Posted Image

I'd love to build some cool spire tops.

Cheers!

-jonny

Wardsylvania
Member Avatar
Colour Sergeant
Witchhammer
4 Jan 2018, 05:22 PM
Piecing together what may be a good connection into the graveyard. I'm thinking something of a few spire tops incorporating the black atmosphere. Here are some sketches should be able to build in at least 3 modules Mabey two. Let me know what you guys think..

I'd love to build some cool spire tops.

Cheers!

-jonny
Go man, go!

I like the variations in elevation.

Using packing cartons as the 'foundation' is clever. Should keep the terrain pieces light while ensuring they're relatively sturdy.

Eager to see more!
Was inspired to clear off the table and test out the cloud cover at scale. The pics were horrible, though, so you'll have to settle for this statue WIP instead:

Rising above the hive's soot black cloud layer; one of countless roof top statues. This one commemorates the planet's liberation by the Imperial Fists during the Great Crusade.

Posted Image
Edited by Wardsylvania, 5 Jan 2018, 03:27 AM.

Lysimachus
Member Avatar
Warrant Officer First Class
That sketch looks excellent, something like that really adds to the playability of the board! Make sure it includes plenty of balconies/flat areas, plus doorways, cover, etc.

Do you have a plan as to the size/layout of the complate board? Perhaps if you're building bits separately, you should draw up a scale layout so you can see what goes where and how the bits you each bring will fit together?

I reckon if the graveyard will be the central feature of the plot, it would work best to have it near the middle of the board, then you could have Spires rising up out of the clouds in 2, 3 or even all 4 corners? Then all you'd need would be a few arching walkways to connect them?

Great stuff anyway, love the idea of statues just poking up out of the smog too, looking forward to seeing this progress to a finished table!
Edited by Lysimachus, 5 Jan 2018, 02:30 PM.

supreme overlord
Member Avatar
Corporal
I wish I could see the sketch but for some reason on this PC "posted images" dont load. the cloud cover looks great tho! If the graveyard is the central feature of the board I'd make it a central aspect in the story. I.E. some relic was found in the mausoleum of a long dead planetary governor or high member of the Ecclesiastes

Wardsylvania
Member Avatar
Colour Sergeant
supreme overlord
5 Jan 2018, 06:50 PM
If the graveyard is the central feature of the board I'd make it a central aspect in the story. I.E. some relic was found in the mausoleum of a long dead planetary governor or high member of the Ecclesiastes
@supremeoverlord why don't you describe a few potential items that could be the objective of the scenario with a short blurb of fiction for each. Do the same for a few people with whom they might be buried.

I think we can build some fun game mechanics around this. If the war bands know who's grave they're looking for, but not where it's located in the cemetery, it would be a frantic race. Each warband would have to choose between spending their actions attacking other warbands, or searching the cemetery for the correct grave.

I estimate the sky cemetery will have between 12 and 16 mausoleums / statues that we could use as "searchable" places for the correct gave.

We could inject some asymmetry of information. Each warband wouldn't know for sure if one of the other war bands found the correct grave yet or not. The war band that finds the right grave might pretend to keep searching, to throw off the other war bands. Likewise, a war band that hasn't found the correct grave might intentionally exhume the wrong casket to make the other war bands think they've found it.

Wardsylvania
Member Avatar
Colour Sergeant
Got some better pics this morning of the clouds for the table. Only the clouds on the bottom 1/3 of the table have been painted. I'll try re-shaping the clouds a bit. I'd like them to be in thinner, more wispy layers.

Posted Image

74 days till Adepticon!

Wardsylvania
Member Avatar
Colour Sergeant
Roof-top statue is fully assembled. Added some Imperial Fists iconography, service studs (remember those?) from plastic rod, and a bird for that extra little bit of detail & narrative :).

Planning to take this terrain piece all the way to completion ASAP to confirm the painting techniques I'm using will scale and deliver the visual I have in my mind.

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

Wardsylvania
Member Avatar
Colour Sergeant
The entire statue was airbrushed in Scale75 Decayed Metal. Scale75 Victorian Brass was sprayed from above to create zenithal highlights. I stippled Citadel Nihilakh Oxide across the brass to add corrosion. This is the only part of the model I wasn't really happy with. Nihilakh is often applied too heavily, across the entire model. That looks both unrealistic and awful. Unfortunately, I found that just stippling it over flat surfaces doesn't look good either. In the end, concentrating the corrosion in patches around details delivered the best result. A lesson I can apply to future terrain projects :) . Once the the acrylics were all applied, matt varnish was used to knock back the shine of the metals and protect the paint from the thinners used in later stages. Here is the model right after varnish was applied.

Posted Image

Details and weathering were created with oil paints. Washes of blue were applied to the base to even out the acrylics underneath. Brown oil wash was applied over the whole model. Bird poop was created by stippling MIG light flesh and medium soil in places where birds might perch. To finish it off, soot black weathering powder was applied to the lower part of the statue to tie it in with the black clouds that surround it.

Here is the finished terrain piece:

Posted Image Posted Image

Although the statue didn't turn out exactly as I had envisioned, I think it achieves my objectives. It conveys a sense of the spire's ornate wealth, yet isn't clean and shiny. The metals are dirty and corroded, indicating it's age while reminding us we're still in the dark millennium. Imperial Fists icons tie the statue into the planet's rich history. The bird (with it's droppings) tell us the statue is part of larger, living, breathing world. Together they provide this piece of scatter terrain with it's own small narrative.
Edited by Wardsylvania, 16 Jan 2018, 07:19 AM.

Witchhammer
Member Avatar
Corporal
I'm digging it!

I'm packing up my last commission today, then the spire pieces and my ROGUE trainer band are next on my project list.

Couple questions:

Should the spires be heavily composed of more brassy elements, or should the brass be a more accent to dark heavily tarnished metal structure?

the blues are gonna really pop the oranges in the brass out if they are to be a main element of the pallet (witch is cool) just interested in what you're using for the color. (Like, is it an acrylic color or is it multiple washes of inks etc?

I'm envisioning more vertical metallic plating and riveting for the main structures of the spiretops. With more ornate addition on top. I could pull of some interesting chipping effects if the blue is more of a paint effect on dark metallics .

Also thought the spire pieces could just be made to place arbitrarily as 10" x 10" ish (or various) boards, just at different heights. To make room for a more important centerpiece (graveyard). Or even the spire pieces connected could connect at a bit of a higher level around and separated from the graveyard. ...just a few thoughts.

-jonny

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · INQ28 · Next Topic »