Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Palatine Spires; Inquisimunda at Adepticon 2018
Topic Started: 18 Nov 2017, 04:09 AM (1,748 Views)
Wardsylvania
Member Avatar
Colour Sergeant

PALATINE SPIRES
][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][

Above the polluted clouds of the Palatine hive cluster powerful factions race to obtain (or destroy) dark secrets buried in a spire-top cemetery.

This thread will no longer be updated. The Palatine Spires project has moved here.

What: Inquisimunda

Where: Adepticon 2018, Schaumburg East Ballroom

When: Sunday, March 25th. Exact time TBD.

Rule set: Current plan is to use the re-released Necromunda for the core game mechanics. Participants are encouraged to create their own characters, with thematic stats & special rules. Use good judgment, and always consider what will be fun for the other players. :)

If you're the sort of hobbyist who enjoys creating unique characters and settings for narrative skirmish gaming, and this theme interests you, come join us!
Edited by Wardsylvania, 2 Feb 2018, 06:58 AM.

supreme overlord
Member Avatar
Corporal
me and my father would LOVE to join and will have no problem putting together custom warbands. what is the theme?

Wardsylvania
Member Avatar
Colour Sergeant
supreme overlord
1 Dec 2017, 08:29 PM
me and my father would LOVE to join and will have no problem putting together custom warbands. what is the theme?
Glad I'm not the only attendee with this interest :)

I've had a few ideas floating around in my head:

1.) Spire Tops
Inspired by the Kharadon Overlords display at Warhammer World and Richard Wright's classic Emperor's Palace. The high born and influential vie for power above the clouds. Airships, sky gardens, golden cathedrals, the more opulent side of the 41st millennium.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Ideas we didn't use
Spoiler: click to toggle

Do any of these sound interesting? Have any other ideas?

Edited by Wardsylvania, 20 Dec 2017, 05:32 AM.

supreme overlord
Member Avatar
Corporal
Honestley I'd just be happy for the opportunity to play in an Inquisimunda campaign. If we have a few attendees I'd say thorn moons would be the best option, other than that Spire tops really intrigues me. Is terrain already created for these backgrounds?

Wardsylvania
Member Avatar
Colour Sergeant
supreme overlord
4 Dec 2017, 02:34 PM
Is terrain already created for these backgrounds?
Nope :) . We'd have to create it all and transport it to the event. You up for a challenge?

supreme overlord
Member Avatar
Corporal
I'm always up for a challenge ;) I'll post to a few groups on FB and see if we can gain some more interest. Do you have a "campaign" in mind? should we use a GM? (I have no problem helping/taking on that role)

Other than some homebrew Inquisitor rules I've created for my group of players I dont have much experience with this type of thing/ running an event. Let me know what you'd like me to do!
Edited by supreme overlord, 5 Dec 2017, 05:44 PM.

Wardsylvania
Member Avatar
Colour Sergeant
supreme overlord
5 Dec 2017, 05:41 PM
I'm always up for a challenge ;) I'll post to a few groups on FB and see if we can gain some more interest. Do you have a "campaign" in mind? should we use a GM? (I have no problem helping/taking on that role)

Other than some homebrew Inquisitor rules I've created for my group of players I dont have much experience with this type of thing/ running an event. Let me know what you'd like me to do!
Regarding setting, since the spire tops seems of most interest to you, let's run with that! I've got a bunch of terrain ideas for it.

While I was reading through the new Necromunda rule book, this passage caught my attention:

On the edge of the hive is a spire specifically set aside for abhumans and for the few sanctioned xenos granted access to Necromunda from time to time in order to trade. Both Squats and Eldar are among these visitors and they are housed on separate levels of this spire. The Palatine, or it's upper levels at least, is thus by far the most cosmopolitan of all the hives of Necromunda.

By using an established location within the lore as the setting for this game, I think it would be easy for others to jump into, while still being open ended enough to allow lots of creative freedom.

So what do you think of the spire tops of the Palatine hive cluster on Necromunda as the setting?

I don't have a specific plot or plot hook(s) in mind. Any ideas? Perhaps something will emerge organically as we further develop the setting & create war bands.

---

Regarding rules, in researching other events that have been successful (for example, this podcast where the Wier brothers interview the organizer of Tor Megiddo , Alex Winberg) simple rules seem to be helpful in keeping the game moving when there are more than two people involved. In case this attracts others, I'd suggest we use a permutation of the Necromunda / Inquisimunda rules.

supreme overlord
Member Avatar
Corporal
I think the Spire Tops are a GREAT location and after reading that bit of fluff I already have a few ideas knocking around.
Are the Spire Tops meant to be more for the upper class or would regular working class grunts live here?

I feel that there needs to be some sort of main antagonist even if it is the Spire Tops Ecclesiarchy, church, some mutants/xenos or we should be fighting for control of the Spire Tops or a relic. I also have a pretty large (by skirmish standards) completely converted Dark Mechanicus/Ad mech army (nothing notably chaos on them) we could use as antagonists

I totally agree with keeping the rules simple (that works best for my group of friends) and having a GM is especially immersive. Using the new Necromunda rules may get us a few stragglers as well.

Also, I posted this up in the Inq28 Facebook group and havent had any responses yet.

Wardsylvania
Member Avatar
Colour Sergeant
supreme overlord
6 Dec 2017, 03:47 PM
Are the Spire Tops meant to be more for the upper class or would regular working class grunts live here?

I feel that there needs to be some sort of main antagonist even if it is the Spire Tops Ecclesiarchy, church, some mutants/xenos or we should be fighting for control of the Spire Tops or a relic. I also have a pretty large (by skirmish standards) completely converted Dark Mechanicus/Ad mech army (nothing notably chaos on them) we could use as antagonists

I totally agree with keeping the rules simple (that works best for my group of friends) and having a GM is especially immersive. Using the new Necromunda rules may get us a few stragglers as well.

Also, I posted this up in the Inq28 Facebook group and havent had any responses yet.
Yeah, a compelling aspect of the hive spires as the setting is that they contain the most privileged members of Imperial society. So, the complete opposite of the gangers, serfs and mutants that populate the lower levels of a hive. it's a chance to do something different from the norm. Terrain that represents grandiose architecture. Characters that are grim dark with a decadent, opulent twist.

Noble lords & ladies with their retainers, Sr. Administratum officials, the leaders of the local Ecclesiarchy, rogue traders, Inquisitors, a strong Adeptus Arbites presence, and in the case of the Palatine hive, even some xenos. Of course the Mechanicus is pervasive throughout all levels of Imperial society, so they'd be there too.

I agree a central objective would be good to have. The central objective of The Pilgrym, was, well, the Pilgrym, a powerful psyker. Curse of the Alabaster used a crashed black ship. Tor Megiddo saw the war bands fight over a promethium refinery. So an objective that would be of potential interest to a broad spectrum of factions and would make sense within the setting.

Also agree on the latest Necromunda rules. The use of alternating activations would help keep people engaged during a multi-player game.

Love where this is going!

Some additional inspiration from Erasmus Brosdau's epic The Lord Inquisitor :
Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

And... something real-world :) :
Posted Image
Edited by Wardsylvania, 7 Dec 2017, 08:15 AM.

Wardsylvania
Member Avatar
Colour Sergeant
I've got an idea for a 2' x 2' floating cemetery / garden that might work as a center piece for the table.

@supreme overlord let me know if you have any ideas for the scenario's main objective.

supreme overlord
Member Avatar
Corporal
Maybe we could use a Planetary Governor gone rogue and using cults to further his influence? some chaos taint? and we could have the arbites/Inquisition chasing him/clues throughout the spire tops. the Governor could possibly have influence over some members of the ecclesiarchy?

I have a couple arbites minis built and painted that would work decently (3)
LOVE the idea for the church, now I'm not the best terrain builder but I could handle some simple pieces (I have a hot knife, insulation foam, drywall putty, etc)

Witchhammer
Member Avatar
Corporal
Im attending again this year and would love to get involved with this. I signed up for necromunda in hopes it would swing this way, but I'll drop out and devote time to this if need be.
:wringing hands: oh man, this is really getting me going, I've been wanting / hoarding bits for an opulent rogue trader cadre, would also enjoy building some gothic spire terrain, damn exciting stuff. Let's do this

-jonny
Edited by Witchhammer, 9 Dec 2017, 11:46 PM.

Wardsylvania
Member Avatar
Colour Sergeant
Witchhammer
9 Dec 2017, 11:12 PM
Im attending again this year and would love to get involved with this. I signed up for necromunda in hopes it would swing this way, but I'll drop out and devote time to this if need be.
:wringing hands: oh man, this is really getting me going, I've been wanting / hoarding bits for an opulent rogue trader cadre, would also enjoy building some gothic spire terrain, damn exciting stuff. Let's do this

-jonny
@witchhammer would love to have you join us! Your Void Carriage Survivors have so much atmosphere and character to them. I can't wait to see what you do with a rogue trader!

I'm also participating in the Necromunda events (Gang War, specifically). My plan is to schedule this Inquisimunda game for Sunday, so it doesn't conflict with Necromunda.

@supreme overload don't feel obligated to contribute terrain, specifically. Whatever part of this project you're most excited about, or really gets your creative gears turning, focus on that. Collectively I'm confident we can create everything we need to make this event a success.

I'll commit to deliver the following assets:
* A cloud layer for the game table. I'm going to try to re-create the cloud effect Warhammer World used on the Clash at Marrowbreak Spire diorama, but with a more polluted color as befits a hive world.
* A 2' x 2' floating garden / cemetery.
* House Devereaux (without the mutants, and possibly with an airship transport added) will be doing double duty as my Inquisimunda warband.

Wardsylvania
Member Avatar
Colour Sergeant
Couldn't resist doing some initial planning for the sky cemetery.

Here is a partial mock up of the cemetery's underside. The picture is intentionally upside down since this is how the model would be oriented in the final build. I intend to make the underside very mechanical. It's where all the functional parts of the structure are located (Power plant, anti-grav generators, etc). Since it will go mostly unseen, I'll build the underside from stock GW plastic kits.

The top side of the cemetery will have a completely different aesthetic - organic, medieval. Dark stone, plants, decorative metals.

Posted Image
Edited by Wardsylvania, 11 Dec 2017, 09:21 AM.

Witchhammer
Member Avatar
Corporal
Do you think the groups should have smal transports for Mabey multiple spires exposed from cloud cover? I may be overthinking this but it could be very interesting

Wardsylvania
Member Avatar
Colour Sergeant
Witchhammer
11 Dec 2017, 03:30 AM
Do you think the groups should have smal transports for Mabey multiple spires exposed from cloud cover? I may be overthinking this but it could be very interesting
You think as I do! Multiple building tops sticking up out of the clouds. To move between them an elevated walk way could be used, if the buildings are connected. If not, the model(s) would need the ability to fly, or a flying transport.

supreme overlord
Member Avatar
Corporal
I wouldnt mind building a few warbands for the campaign. a noble family, the ecclestiary, some cardinals or redemptionists? Airships would be awesome! not sure how you'd write the rules for them but I really like the idea. Rouge traders would work great in this scenario, especially one catering to the "expensive and acquired" tastes of nobility.

@ward the terrain is starting out great!

This is really getting my juices flowing! I have an idea for a deamon imbued relic kept deep within the libraries of the church, as well as the warbands trying to recover it for their own reasons, I could have a dark mechanicus explorator fleet coming to ascertain the deamon relic. Totally open to suggestions!

Wardsylvania
Member Avatar
Colour Sergeant
Thanks @supreme overlord!

RE: war bands - Go for it! Some additional characters will help populate the scenario and bring it to life.

A daemonic relic would work well as a central objective due to nearly every faction having some reason to attempt to acquire or destroy it. Since chaos tainted items are a common plot element, let's see if we can find a unique twist to put on it.

I think we should keep the plot of the main objective fairly simple. As each participant creates a war band and develops their back story, a narrative should naturally emerge.

Wardsylvania
Member Avatar
Colour Sergeant
Cloud Test #1

I obtained some white polyester fiber fill today. Artists inks were run through the air brush to try and color it like polluted clouds. So the idea is that this (or something similar) would cover the table. The building tops would stick up out of the polluted cloud cover. Let me know what you think.

Posted Image

supreme overlord
Member Avatar
Corporal
I love IT! I especially love that the clouds are polluted. Can't wait to see it finished!

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · INQ28 · Next Topic »