Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Removing old decals?
Topic Started: 6 Oct 2017, 08:32 AM (73 Views)
Member Avatar
Colour Sergeant
Hi everybody,

I know decal topics are about as common as "which are the best brushes?" but this is with a slight twist... :)

Back in the days before I discovered Micro Set and Micro Sol I used to struggle with decals and used to avoid using them wherever possible (preferring to freehand) but when I did use them they looked awful but I made do.

I have a fully painted Cadian army and the paint job is absolutely fine but the decals are shockingly bad and I want to remove them and do them properly.

So they were "affixed" (badly) with nothing more than tap water and faith in the Emperor....

I have tried re-wetting them and soaking them off but they just won't budge. What's more frustrating is that they weren't varnished so most have chipped or started to flake off but I just can't remove them fully or cleanly.

So I didn't use any sort of decal softener, decal fixer or varnish but want to remove the decals from infantry and tanks and re-do them properly.

Are there any products that would make it easier to remove them without damaging the paint work? Could I use decal softener to get them off? The decals have been on for about 7 years.....
Edited by StraightSilver, 6 Oct 2017, 08:32 AM.
Member Avatar
I'd give it a go with the Micro Sol/Set, probably need to liberally marinade for a while. Try one on a flat surface that you can leave for a few hours to soak in, then try gently scraping the decal off with either the back of a No:12 blade or the front of a No:22 ( just scrape away from the cutting edge)
1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
« Previous Topic · Painting & Modelling Techniques and Tutorials · Next Topic »