Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Inquisitor Alley; INQ28 - Pulp Alley
Topic Started: 2 Aug 2017, 10:24 AM (2,985 Views)
CyberCrow
Member Avatar

Hey hey!

I've been lurking around the site for years, and have been building Inq28 minis for about as long. Yet, I've never felt like I had a theme or an interesting angle to tie it all together... until now!

Enter Pulp Alley (by Dave & Mila Phipps), a wonderful little game that has a lot of what I look for in a game and it just so happens to fit the type of games and scenarios Inquisitor deals but in a more (much more) streamlined fashion.

Basically you create your League as it's called, where the basic structure is: One Leader, one Sidekick, any number of Allies and Followers as the League has space for. Anyway, I'm not here to sell you the game or anything, but rather what I've done with it.

I'll not go into their background to much here since I want this to be about the miniatures first and foremost, but I'll add a little blurb for each entry to give my take on the over all ideas and themes and inspirations that informed the final piece. Currently, I have 5 factions built, so for now this will not be a build log, but rather a paint one. At least for now.

My first finished Inquisitor League. It's the standard protagonist stuff, with nothing overtly creepy this time, as I themed them along a Wild West theme. We see a battle hardened Ordo Xenos Inquisitor leading his group of scouts, desperadoes, brawlers and even a couple of protectors.

Bethaniel Lock

Inquisitor of Ordo Xenos. Bethaniel Lock is a battle hardened veteran, a great commander and an inspirational leader. Your typical "good guy" as far as Inquisitors go. Like most people, I think Gregor Eisenhorn is a phenomenal character, and this mini is my attempt at capturing the feel of a younger (maybe even pre-Xenos book) Eisenhorn, but without the psychic powers.

Posted Image

More members of his group is coming really soon!
Dergg - Ogryn Brute

Inquisitor Bethaniels bet Ogryn. You never know what vile Xenos will be around the next corner, so pack accordingly. It's really just my attempt at a big brutish sidekick. Oh and Ogryns are always cool.

Posted Image

Pavel Dubkova - Drill Abbott

Going through the classics, we have the good old Drill Abbott. My take isn't revolutionary or anything and the concept is as old as Inquisitor itself. Yet I do think everyone has to make one at some point. Giant hammer? Check! Hell, we'll give him a riot shield as well. Oh and it's by far one of my favorite heads ever.

Posted Image
Posted Image

Michahel Aver - Imperial Guard Excursor Veteran

The eyes and ears of the group. An old veteran scout from the good old IG (with mold lines that need to be cleaned! :ermm: ). Not much to add really. :D

Posted Image
Posted Image

Clint Israel - Desperado

Storming onto the scene, twin plasma pistols blazing away. If you're making a Wild West themed warband, you need the gunslinger!

Posted Image

Caius Nortas - Archaeotech Compiler

The first of the prospecting duo. This guy is more of a packmule than anything else. Well, a well bookish, brainy packmule. Not great in a fight, yet able to lend his considerable knowledge of ancient and xeno techology to the investigations.

Posted Image
Posted Image

Balthasar Wrayburn - Archaeotech Prospector

The 2nd of the prospecting duo... the actual prospector. Great to have when dealing with any mysterious ruins, strange xenos devises or any other none combat related investigation.

Posted Image
Posted Image

AND FINALLY: The group shot!

Posted Image

My first ever completed INQ28 group (not counting foul Xenos, which might be coming up next ;) ).

Eldar Corsairs

Well... two of them at least. An Eldar Pirate Prince and a Corsair Assassin. I really wanted some Eldar in my setting, and Corsairs seemed easier to fit in as reoccurring antagonists.

Ysuriel Drazaq - Eldar Corsair Prince

Not overtly Craftworld, not overtly Dark Eldar. That was my goal. I think I got close. :)

Posted Image
Posted Image

Fuesan Dalrys - Corsair Assassin

My attempt at a space elf ninja! :D

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

And the group shot!

Posted Image

Now in game terms, having just two members of the team, might seem like a big disadvantage, and while that is true to an extent, they have a league perk called Duo which makes up for some of the shortcomings and makes them exceptionally skilled... kind of like Batman and Robin... :D

Radical Inquititor Warband.

Because, bad guys are fun!

Vasu Myrddyn - Horusian Rogue Inquisitor

Not a worshiper of Chaos, at least not according to his own standards. And being the only person in the galaxy that knows what needs to be done, he should know! According to himself at least.

I just wanted to try my hand at kind of touching the warping influences of the wyrding ways, yet walk away unchanged from the encounter (don't we all?). I was itching to make a radical-not-obviously-chaos Inquisitor. And while he does have some trinkets of obvious Chaos heritage, I think it comes across subtly enough for what I wanted. And obviously, he only has those things to ward against Chaos... he'd never actually use them for personal gain! Honest!

Posted Image
Posted Image

Nemecius - Bound Daemonhost

My first attempt at a daemonhost was... a terrible disaster and left me with a twisted, goofy looking thing that caused chuckles (from the missus) and not at all the awe and power I had envisioned.

TAKE TWO! Sooo... I made this guy instead. :D

Posted Image
Posted Image

Bran Medraut - Baalusian Bounty Haunter

Every rogue Inquisitor needs a (somewhat) human ally. This feral worlder can both shoot and skin the cat.

Posted Image
Posted Image

Hel & Hades - Despoiled Cyber Mastiffs

Speaking of cats: Here are my two helldogs! Because if you're going to have pets, you might as well improve them through heretical rituals! Images won't upload for some reason so for now they'll just be in the group shot. :)

Group shot

Posted Image

Edited by CyberCrow, 2 Aug 2017, 01:39 PM.

Ynneadwraith
Member Avatar
Warrant Officer First Class
That's a hell of an opening salvo! Really nice work :)

If I had to pick favourites I'd say that your prospector is pure gold. I'm a real sucker for non-combat poses, and 'standing there reading his parchment' is something I don't think I've ever seen before. I absolutely love it :)

I'm really liking your Eldar too (I may or may not have a massive soft-spot for them). The posing and bits choices on both of them are absolutely on point.

# Digits
Member Avatar
Shadowkin
Much better than just lurking mate! 😉

CorvusCorax
Member Avatar
Warrant Officer Second Class
Some really nice work here man, the daemonhost is exceptional and the 'muscle' looks good as well. Good work.

SlavetoDarkness
Member Avatar
Sergeant
Welcome!!!

Some nice looking minis here. that Daemonhost looks bad [arse], as does your hunched Archeotech prospector chap. Now get them painted!!

☺PDH
Member Avatar
Lieutenant
Fantastic. I like everything. Glad you stopped lurking. Roll on the paint.

kendoka
Member Avatar
Sergeant
Wow.
Fantastic work.
My personal favourite is the daemonhost - from where did you get the upper body?

CyberCrow
Member Avatar

Thanks guys!

@PDH, yeah I need to start, but not quite sure which group to start with! :D

@kendoka, the Daemonhost torso is from the Kairic Acolytes, which is just a fantastic kit. :)

Now then, Ordo Hereticus time. The overarching themes this time was the classic witch hunter, undead and fanaticism. This one brushes up against creepy, well, the Pyre-Hag at least. Enjoy!

Iustinius Hessman - Monodominant Inquisitor of the Ordo Hereticus

One of the first Inquisitors I made. I wanted him to look older, more grizzled, stern, filled with zeal and with an iron will. Pretty much everything I think of when I hear the word Inquisitor. Maybe that means he's a bit boring or average, I mean he's a pretty straightforward head and arm swaps... not sure but I still think he holds up.

Posted Image

Prioress Tarjja Omorose - Pyre-Hag

I really really really wanted to have a Sister of Battle in this group (GW, make a plastic kit already!). But while I've seen some amazing conversions (like Kraut for instance), I couldn't convert it AND make it as creepy as I wanted. So I figured I'd just make my own take of a space nun. A creepy, undead-ish space nun. She's a Prioress of one of the myriad sub-cults of the Adeptus Ministorum, which considers book burning to be the highest form of devotion. It also means she fits right in with Iustinius Hessman who thinks that knowledge is the scourge of the common man.

Posted Image

Tyze Gorgo - Explicator Adept

He gets a fancy title but he's basically just a torturer. I've made 4 different versions of this guy, and none of them is a "yeah that's him" kind of model. I might make a replacement at some point. For now he'll stay. Glowing review right? His mommy doesn't like him either!

Posted Image

Dirk Bardas - Battle Pilgryme

I just love the medieval flare of 40k. I wish there was more of it these days from actual 40k.

Posted Image
Posted Image

Hake002 - Combat Servitor

He's here to anchor the team more firmly in the Undead theme... and to bring a really big gun (which the group is lacking)

Posted Image

Ignax - Ordo Hereticus Familiar

I wanted a herald for the group, because heralds just seem to be something that medieval bad asses would have. Also he's a tiny monk with a big stick.

Posted Image

And the group shot.

Posted Image

Just one more group to take pictures of and post... and then maybe some of the cooler "don't fit in anywhere" minis littering my shelves!

The big question though... what do I start painting? :)

euansmith
Member Avatar
Major
That is some great work; especially the posing on the Ogryn and the Feral Worlder.

☺Easy E
Member Avatar
Captain
I also considered using Pulp Alley and Strange Aeons for my Inquisitor games. I think they will all work great.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
« Previous Topic · INQ28 Painting & Modelling · Next Topic »