Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
[AoS] Backwater Shyish
Topic Started: 13 Jun 2017, 07:22 PM (1,730 Views)
vtek
Member Avatar
Colour Sergeant
I wanted to take a break from sick mutated monstrosities of Nurgle, and paint some clean, nice miniatures. How I ended up here remains a mystery.

Shyish is the Wind of Magic signifying transience, and the realm where this wind reigns. This is Shyish, but not its heart. This is the borderland, the backwater, away from necropolis cities and skeletal strongholds. There, in woods and bogs, even the power of Death falters and will to live, stubbornness, and memory trump mortality. And these are the denizens of the backwater, faintly remembering the worlds long gone, unconcerned by the wars of the gods.

Posted Image

~~~

I'm planning to make this a longer project: a sizeable band of backwater rabble, nominally an army of the Alliance of Death. I'm trying to focus on texture, and to strike a balance between gritty, expressive, and good-looking.

I am more or less ignorant of the AoS setting, but these are big Realms, so maybe my Backwater Shyish will fit somewhere.

So far, I really enjoyed painting the ghouls, and I'm looking forward to my first skirmish games.

Enjoy!
Edited by vtek, 13 Jun 2017, 07:26 PM.

WarbossKurgan
Member Avatar
Warrant Officer First Class
I really like this project - I look forward to seeing more!
vtek
13 Jun 2017, 07:22 PM
I am more or less ignorant of the AoS setting, but these are big Realms, so maybe my Backwater Shyish will fit somewhere.
Ignorant of the setting or not, you've hit on something that absolutely works in AoS. All the Realms are big enough to fit almost anything without it feeling wrong - there are already several mentions of places far away from the main story lines - the uncivilised wilds of the Realms. Backwater fits in without a problem. B)
Edited by WarbossKurgan, 14 Jun 2017, 09:16 AM.

euansmith
Member Avatar
Major
I like your choice of colours on your Backwater Rabble.

vtek
Member Avatar
Colour Sergeant
Thanks, guys!

Painting some skeletons.

Posted Image

I got a _really_ small brush, so I can make very silly freehands now.
Edited by vtek, 15 Jul 2017, 10:40 AM.

euansmith
Member Avatar
Major
Those a really nicely finished. That kind of Slavic/Medieval artwork on the round shield is a cool touch.
Edited by euansmith, 21 Jul 2017, 12:22 PM.

vtek
Member Avatar
Colour Sergeant
The villagers heard clashing steel and rattling bones. The dead were marching out of the woods, bearing the signs of the Pelican and the Death of Birds. The warriors were looking ahead, paying little attention to the living. It was not the first time they come there, and it would not be the last.

Maybe they are answering the call of an unknown warlord, mustering for a battle. Or maybe they wander with no purpose, by the strength of habit repeating the marches of forgotten wars.

At night the warriors will put up camp. While sitting by dead fires, they will look like they are talking, reminiscing years of toil and battles of old. But lipless skulls will produce no sound that a mortal could hear.

Posted Image

They took a while, didn't they!

Every one of them is a test model of sorts: I was trying different shades of red and different techniques for painting bone. I think they look reasonably consistent for members of a single unit; anyway, while working at one or two minis at a time, it would be boring to paint them all the same way.

No conversions, but I managed to paint some freehand designs (sometimes just basic ones) on every skeleton.

Next time: my entry for the Dark Age of Sigmar Monster Competition.

AceOfBlades
Member Avatar
That's some beautiful freehand work.

Mind pointing me towards the brush you've been using?

Demorte
Member Avatar
Very nice force, I like the colors and debth of the models.

vtek
Member Avatar
Colour Sergeant
Thanks, guys!

AceOfBlades - the brush I use for freehand is a really old brush that used to belong to my grandpa (seriously). I think it's a sharp round or retouch 00.

vtek
Member Avatar
Colour Sergeant
Sometimes it appears during moots, at shrines, or by travellers' fires. You know it is coming when you hear quiet thumps of sparrows and finches dropping lifeless on the ground.

The locals offer it sacrifices and do its will without dissent. In a land forsaken by human gods, you worship an avian deity by necessity.

One day, by a dark twist of fate or by the malice of the Changer of Ways, you may start finding bird carcasses on your path. And then, you may find yourself on a glade, with dead birds strewing it like dry leaves.

Then run.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

The Death of Birds is my entry for the Dark Age of Sigmar Monster Competition, and the leader of my Shyish rabble.

AceOfBlades
Member Avatar
That's pretty cool. Makes me wish my family had an heirloom brush passed down through the generations. :P

The Death of Birds looks fantastic and you've really been able to put your own spin on an overused, if excellent, mini.

Also thanks for that fluff snippet. I'm going to file it away for use in a campaign. If I ever get around to running one. :P

vtek
Member Avatar
Colour Sergeant
Thanks, AceOfSpades, and good luck with the campaign!

Omegon
Member Avatar
Warrant Officer Second Class
Death of birds is great, really digging the undead at the moment.

vtek
Member Avatar
Colour Sergeant
Thanks, Omegon! I love that in the Death alliance, almost every unit has a distinct look - I think this project could go on and on without me tiring of painting the same things all the time and wanting to try something else. But we will see.

vtek
Member Avatar
Colour Sergeant
Time to reanimate the log!

Posted Image

I used to be a bell-ringer at a church of Mor.

When the plague started, I left my wife and children and fled to the woods. I followed a host of wandering spirits and now my bell heralds their coming.

But for all these years, one thought has been haunting me.

Did I really escape the plague?

Or have I become one of the living dead myself?

This guy is not terribly fresh (some of you might have seen him a month ago on FB), but this is the project log and he has to go here! Photos of new minis soon.

euansmith
Member Avatar
Major
That's a great use of a Night Goblin; especially turning the bow in to a nasty meat hook.

vtek
Member Avatar
Colour Sergeant
Thanks! But to be honest, that's a Plague Monk body and a part of a Chaos Marauder hooked chain :)

vtek
Member Avatar
Colour Sergeant
Their skin is the colour of bark. Some of them sport bestial snouts, and if these are mere masks, we don't know what faces they conceal. Even the ghosts don't remember if they arrived during the coming of chaos. Maybe it was us who arrived to their grounds instead.

They scuttle in dark woods. And they hunt men. Their camps among overgrown cairns are littered with gnawed bones.

They talk to one another in a dead language. It is said they claim to be descendants of a noble house unknown to history. But what is the fickle memory of chronicles to the vast expanses of the worlds of old!

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Bad Moon
Member Avatar
Colour Sergeant
Quite possibly the best ghouls I have ever seen. Having said that I'm kind of torn - I absolutely love the skull face on the first one, but it makes me wish they all looked like that instead of the standard faces. Still, the paintjob and static grass fur are excellent!

nerodine
Member Avatar
Second Lieutenant
These look great. They capture a feeling of literally crawling out of and through the earth to get where they're going.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · Fantasy Project Logs · Next Topic »