Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Facebook
Topic Started: 1 Apr 2017, 05:32 AM (375 Views)
fireangel
Member Avatar
Second Lieutenant
Simple Question:

Are the Facebook groups that have popped up around the 28mm scene helping or hurting the community?

Discuss amongst yourselves, I will chime in once my second child is born in a few days. But I'm curious what your thoughts are.

Brambleten
Member Avatar
The Red Hood
I guess it depends on what you define as "The Community".

If you define it as internet forums such as here, then it's been bad. Traffic has been dropping over the past couple of years as people find that it is quicker and easier to upload photos direct from mobiles to facebook rather than stick them in to photobucket/flickr/other photo hosting service then mess around with codes.

If you define the community as the miniature gaming/painting community as a whole, it's been great. There are thousands of different groups, be it general ones like Eavier Metal or more niche groups like individual faction groups for Malifaux, so finding people with the same focus as you is easier than ever. Add in the ability for companies to promote new material to a wide range of people means that you discover miniatures and tools you might never have found otherwise, as it's a lot easier to promote new products on FB than to go to multiple forums to do it.

I know that some people don't like having their personal social media and hobby stuff mixing together and having their worlds collide, while others only keep their social media profiles for hobby stuff and people they have met through the hobby.

I personally believe that a good balance between the two is the best - instant access to new content/miniatures/feedback on FB, while forums allow you to revisit and see progress being made over time.

Alexander
Member Avatar
Second Lieutenant
As I manage two niche facebook groups, inq28 and aos28, I can't say it's a bad thing. The access and speed are certainly great. It is also much easier for those new to the hobby to discover others with similar interests. But on the other hand I think certain things are better served by the forum layout. For example, when we run Outgard last fall the way blogs and the forum allow you to keep a certain thread helped keep the project focused.

Tinners
Member Avatar
Doesn't it look like a face!
Is there an Ammobunker group on FB?

Brambleten
Member Avatar
The Red Hood
There is a page, but no group as far as I know.

# dean
Member Avatar
Grandmaster of Librarians
I am on it...

Surprised I havent thought of it before.

Princess
Member Avatar
Metrosexual Modeller
I may need to set up a FB for hobby. I deleted my personal page years ago (6 o something) so not on it. I have a seperate instagram feed now as well.

# dean
Member Avatar
Grandmaster of Librarians
Linkys?

Princess
Member Avatar
Metrosexual Modeller
Secret_minis on insta. Havent really sorted the FB yet!

fireangel
Member Avatar
Second Lieutenant
Personally I think it's a double edged sword that we have seen really play out over the last two weeks.

A) It is awesome in the way that it is bringing new people into the hobby.

but

B) It is not awesome in the group think/crowd mentality of people trying to "define" what contemporary modeling and the 40k universe is about. Frankly the people running around claiming they own "Blanchitsu" at the moment on facebook is getting pretty disgusting, and tiresome. I see a lot of people not giving credit to the founders of certain sub cultures and then jumping down their throats when the founders bring up issues or concerns.

Such is the way with trends on the internet though.

☺lavadude360
Member Avatar
Lieutenant
Ever groupthink was such...

This is why I maintain my social media to remove the echo chamber effect. If there are no dissenting voices, you have no balance!

Dave

fireangel
Member Avatar
Second Lieutenant
And when the dissenting voices get bullied or kicked out of groups, or told they're stupid, that's when you realize that things are getting a bit nutty.

☺Easy E
Member Avatar
Captain
Not a fan of FB hobbying.

☺lavadude360
Member Avatar
Lieutenant
Can any of the twitter users explain the #warmongers thing that lots of people seem to use?

Dave

# El Diablo
Member Avatar
Warmaster Of Chaos
It's a generic hashtag the community (specifically the 40k and WFB guys but everyone uses it) use to gather anything relevant. Used to a lesser extent on instagram too.

Demorte
Member Avatar
Warrant Officer First Class
I am pretty tied to forum and facebook communities.

Overall as someone active in both I find the forum bases community more useful in the long run. Facebook is very fast paced. You upload a picture get likes that don't help you at all and maybe some comments for immediate results. Once that happens the post gets lost in the soup by new ones. It becomes very hard to go back and reference information or compile information into a single link.

Forums are better for long term hobby recording. That being said I do feel forum communities are dying but its only those not marketed by it members.

Dakka and Advance tau tactica grow cause its member share the site, they reference it and attract people to stuff on the sites. I have seen activity go up though here it seems is more lively posting.

That is the main thing for forum growth, people gotta comment and respond. Especially to new people.

☺Easy E
Member Avatar
Captain
Demorte
17 May 2017, 07:15 PM
I am pretty tied to forum and facebook communities.

Overall as someone active in both I find the forum bases community more useful in the long run. Facebook is very fast paced. You upload a picture get likes that don't help you at all and maybe some comments for immediate results. Once that happens the post gets lost in the soup by new ones. It becomes very hard to go back and reference information or compile information into a single link.

Forums are better for long term hobby recording. That being said I do feel forum communities are dying but its only those not marketed by it members.

Dakka and Advance tau tactica grow cause its member share the site, they reference it and attract people to stuff on the sites. I have seen activity go up though here it seems is more lively posting.

That is the main thing for forum growth, people gotta comment and respond. Especially to new people.
I see you have a Blog, Demorte.

How do you feel that plays with Forums and FB stuff?

fireangel
Member Avatar
Second Lieutenant
I think blogs are awesome, but can be intimidating because there are so many of them. When they are well maintained they rock.

But man, I couldn't keep up with one if I had one of my own.

Chartist Captain
Member Avatar
Sergeant
Its easy to find a lot of great ideas on pinterest but a lot of people don't post source info so if you wanted to see more than just the one pic to maybe borrow some ideas or see a project log its difficult to track down. Facebook is easy and shares stuff quickly but there isn't much unified archive or effort to familiarize oneself. New people join and ask the same questions, I'm in a Death Korps of Krieg group and I swear everyday somebody says forgeworld discontinued the grenadiers and gorgon when in the previous 8 post there are 3 of snapshots of email responses from forgeworld saying they are repairing the molds. I run into trolls more on FB too which I think is because some of the groups arent specific and there isn't as much of an investment getting to know people and make threads, logs. I think the forums better foster a closer community. Like previously said, the other media are good advertisement for new people to find there way to the forums and bury themselves in the archives of whatever part of the hobby that interests them.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
« Previous Topic · General Banter · Next Topic »