Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Vairocanum's INQ28; 06/14/2018 Imperial Mechanic
Topic Started: 14 Oct 2016, 07:34 AM (23,817 Views)
Vairocanum
Member Avatar
Warrant Officer Second Class
Hi there people of Ammobunker, this will be my first post on the bunker. I recently came back to the hobby during the summer after a 4 year hiatus and have been converting random things to practice in anticipation for the next edition of the CSM codex (if the rumors are accurate).

While looking at conversions on pinterest i came across the term INQ28 a lot and decided to look deeper into it. I've seen many amazing project logs while researching and it made me want to try my hand at converting non-marine stuff which is all I've done up till now.

I've decided to start building an inquisitor warband but need a bit of help as I'm completely new to INQ28. I've been deciding the members of the warband based on the 3rd edition Daemonhunters codex. Do those fit in with the INQ28 rules? I've downloaded the resources from "INQ28 Rules Discussion" on my phone and will read through them slowly but I thought I'd ask here first so I can get an idea of what to start collecting bits for. So far I have completed an Interrogator (which was supposed to be an inquisitor at first) and am working on a primaris psyker, familiar, and the inquisitor.

Anyways here is my Interrogator Calex Wren (still working out his fluff) C&C is welcome

Posted Image

Posted Image

Spoiler: click to toggle
Edited by Vairocanum, 14 Jun 2018, 11:25 AM.

euansmith
Member Avatar
Major
I really like that you've sculpted him in mid action.

Welcome to the Bunker. There are a variety of sets of rules available for playing games in the Grim Darkness at Inquisitor level; 40k Kill Team, Inquisitor, Inquisimunda (a mash up of Necromunda and Inquisitor), In The Emperor's Name and One Page Kill Team (both versions of the FUBAR rules set), to name but a few. As a result, I would suggest just making some minis you like the look of, making up some fluff for them, and then worrying about their rules afterwards. ;)
Edited by euansmith, 14 Oct 2016, 10:14 AM.

ramshackle_curtis
Member Avatar
Sergeant
THe right arm need to be cut and raised up. If you do the action yourself, your shoulder will be up by your ear.

Razer
Member Avatar
Corporal
Very cool, nicely animated.

Vairocanum
Member Avatar
@euansmith: Wow I didn't know there were that many versions, I was just thinking about the Inquisitor54 rules haha. I'll take your advice and do some converting first. Thanks!

@ramshackle_curtis: Ahh I see what you mean, but I've placed the arm where it is due to where the "arm holes" are in the chestplate. Any higher and there would be a weird gap between the side of the gorget and the arm. I haven't sculpted a strap on the holster so I guess I could just say that it's mag-locked but with enough give to pivot? If he didn't have to draw the gun "straight up" he his shoulder wouldn't have to go up to his ear (if that makes sense)? Thanks a lot for the C&C its really appreciated, didn't notice till you pointed it out!

@Razer: Thanks! I was originally debating if I wanted to do a crouching pose or a striding pose, and ultimately decided on the striding.

Manus
Member Avatar
Warrant Officer First Class
Hello - off to a good start here I'd say.

euansmith
Member Avatar
Major
Regarding Ramshackles point, I often try out a minis pose for myself to see if it is natural. Another thing to bear in mind is that real humans, even in armour, tend to have more give to them than plastic ones.

So, when re-positioning arms and legs, you might need to shave material off the inside of the limb to recreate the way that they squidge around and into other bodyparts and equipment.

Here, for example, I filed a wedge out of the minis left upper arm, so that is could intersect with his torso, allowing me to bring the arm far enough around for the pose.

One thing that I've learned from looking at other people's minis on this site, is that there is an obstacle to get over when starting out (I'm fairly new to this stuff too). That obstacle is the fear of messing up a mini by aggressive cutting. Seeing what lengths many of the converters here go to, really freed my up. Now my little men get hacked to bits and then greenstuffed back together.
Edited by euansmith, 15 Oct 2016, 10:07 AM.

Vairocanum
Member Avatar
@Manus: Thank you! I'm sure your project log will continue to help me spark new ideas.

@euansmith: Yea you're exactly right about the aggressive cutting. I've pretty much only converted marine stuff till now so I'm still reluctant to alter the parts too much cause I'm not sure if I'll be able to patch up seamlessly with GS. I'll keep practicing and get a feel for it and then figure out how much to cut off and where to cut stuff.

Tiny update for today, I finished the Inquisitor's familiar. All members of the warband will have hoods of some sort. Painting will probably come quite a bit later but they will also have a darker paint scheme.

Posted Image
Edited by Vairocanum, 21 Sep 2017, 06:47 AM.

Vairocanum
Member Avatar
Its been a while since I last worked on INQ28 stuff. I don't have that much non-space marine bits so I couldn't progress a lot, but I have made a bits order so when that arrives I can work on the warband a lot more. I converted this Primaris Psyker from a vampire counts wight king, I wanted to use the hooded head from the Deathwing set but the head was too big so i chopped off the sides and part of the top to make it fit better. Also if anyone has suggestions/tips for building a backpack unit for a magos that would be great because I'm not really sure how I'm going to build it yet. C&C is appreciated

Posted Image

Posted Image
Edited by Vairocanum, 21 Sep 2017, 06:48 AM.

Void Spinner
Member Avatar
Great green stuff

Ryltar Thamior
Member Avatar
That's a solid use of th Wight model to create something 40k'ififed :D

Vairocanum
Member Avatar
@Void Spinner: Thank you! Had to rework the hood a few times to get it to work better with the model.

@Ryltar Thamior: Thanks a lot, I thought the robes and hands clutching the pole would look good for a psyker and it worked out close to what I had pictured in my head.

Freddy
Member Avatar
Colour Sergeant
Very nice conversion, how did you sculpt the test indicators on its back panel?

Vairocanum
Member Avatar
@Freddy: Thanks! 1)Flatten a small ball of GS on the back 2)Indent in the middle of the GS circle (I used the backside of a hobby file) 3)Wait for it to cure then sculpt a tiny triangle to finish

Freddy
Member Avatar
Colour Sergeant
Vairocanum
22 Nov 2016, 12:09 PM
@Freddy: Thanks! 1)Flatten a small ball of GS on the back 2)Indent in the middle of the GS circle (I used the backside of a hobby file) 3)Wait for it to cure then sculpt a tiny triangle to finish
Oh, so you sculpt the triangle separately.. :D . Gonna try it, thanks :)

Vairocanum
Member Avatar
@Freddy: No problem! Glad it was of some help.

I've recently started to work on my INQ28 warband again after staving off the desire to keep converting stuff from the BoP box. I decided to keep this techpriest more humanoid instead of like the techpriest dominus "shape". I was originally going to give him servo arms but i changed it into some sort of ranged weapon instead. He is tentatively named Artisan Decimus Epsilon (might tweak the name later when I start figuring out fluff for the whole warband). C&C is appreciated

Posted Image

Posted Image
Edited by Vairocanum, 21 Sep 2017, 06:48 AM.

Manus
Member Avatar
Warrant Officer First Class
Great minis, really love the relic bearer

Freddy
Member Avatar
Colour Sergeant
Vairocanum
15 Dec 2016, 01:07 AM
@Freddy: No problem! Glad it was of some help.
I already used the method on one of my models :)

The techpriest looks cool too, I really like the tech backpack.

Vairocanum
Member Avatar
@Manus: Thanks! The conversion worked quite well and I didn't have to fix up the original model too much before completion either so hooray for less work :)

@Freddy: Thanks! I had troubles finding a good bit to use as the backpack so I'm glad it worked out in the end :)

So here is the next member of my inquisitor's warband, Major Gregor Straffe. The gatling gun arm idea came from a certain Final Fantasy character so I chose to go with bare arms as well. Still no concrete fluff for any of my warband members yet but lots of ideas floating around. Other members of the warband I am planning are: assassin, warrior priest, some sort of servitor, true scale blackshield and of course the Inquisitor himself. I may be adding more members if I come up with some new ideas or if someone makes a good suggestion. C&C is appreciated!

Posted Image

Posted Image
Edited by Vairocanum, 21 Sep 2017, 06:50 AM.

Khordal
Member Avatar
Colour Sergeant
Woah, love the gatling gun arm! Is the base model a commissar?

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · INQ28 Painting & Modelling · Next Topic »