Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Lychgate
Topic Started: 26 Aug 2016, 09:49 PM (1,066 Views)
Gretchin~
Member Avatar
Colour Sergeant
Posted Image
Edited by Gretchin~, 26 Aug 2016, 09:50 PM.

Gretchin~
Member Avatar
Colour Sergeant
Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

☺PDH
Member Avatar
Lieutenant
I enjoyed that. Good world.

Gretchin~
Member Avatar
Colour Sergeant
Thank you! I'm looking to build it as a gaming table and it'll be the setting for a campaign project I'm in the middle of writing. :3

Not-not-kenny
Member Avatar
Colour Sergeant
"Theohooligan" might be the best word I've read all day.

Gretchin~
Member Avatar
Colour Sergeant
I was getting really tired when I wrote this and misread 'theologian' as 'theohooligan' and I thought it was a rather amusing term for a religious ne'er do well. :3

Alexander
Member Avatar
Second Lieutenant
Beautiful

Gretchin~
Member Avatar
Colour Sergeant
Undercroft City

A while ago, I remember reading the blog of a rather splendid author who was writing about the Carceri d'invenzione prints of Giovanni Battista Piranesi, which heavily influenced the Romanticism and Surrealism of later ages, and inspired later surrealists like Kafka and Escher. More closer to home, it is easy to just how much of the Mordheim artwork was perhaps inspired by these prints too. Indeed, the Carceri prints are exactly how I imagined Undercroft City:

Quote:

Undercroft City is the very mirror of Frankylmoign, as above so below, the City itself is a twisting maze of consecrated waterways, sewers, crypts, hidden shrines, sunken cathedrals and catacombs. It is a known haven for the more darker and unsavoury cults ratified by the Ministorum; followers of flesh, blood and pain stalk its gloomy walkways, outlawed redemptionists organise their crusades and black priests offer vices beyond imagination to enable anyone to sin in the Emperor's name. The theohooligans and recusant-gangs mark out their territories with arcane symbols, grimly coloured candles and incense-markers.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Edited by Gretchin~, 2 Sep 2016, 10:15 PM.

☺PDH
Member Avatar
Lieutenant
The idea that gangs mark their territories with candles and incense is so wonderfully 40k in my mind. I'm looking forward to this going forward.
Edited by PDH, 3 Sep 2016, 09:03 PM.

Gretchin~
Member Avatar
Colour Sergeant
Thanks, PDH, I hope you find this all inspirational. :3

The Reliquary

The idea for the Reliquary came about as I was discussing the newly released version of Kill Team with a local hobbyist. I had recently finished reading the latest novel in the Invisible Library series by Genevieve Cogman (a little disjointed and sometimes frustratingly under-fleshed series, but well worth the read) and moving from discussing the typically gothic-industrial/underhive setting that would work really well for Kill Team (seeing as it is something of a simplified Necromunda) I proposed the idea of a continent-sized baroque library would be fun too. Indeed, I could easily imagine a protracted firefight between the likes of PDH's Ordo Scriptorum and the Reliquary archivist guards.

As for tangible imagery concerning the Reliquary, I immediately turned to graphic representations of Lord Sepulchrave's library in the Gormenghast series and Vincent Ward's concept art for the Monastery (to be used in the original Alien 3).

Quote:

Almost every Shrine World has some kind of centralised reliquary, where the sacred artefacts of the subsector (and sometimes the entire sector) are housed, alongside varying copies and editions of religious texts (some rare, some not). The Reliquary on Glebe IV is the largest in the galactic cluster, easily spanning several million kilometres. It is a continent-sized edifice of crenelated spires, curved domes, gargantuan arches and intricate stained glass windows that stand miles tall.

They say that many pilgrims that enter its monolithic walls, can spend their entire lives looking for that one relic hidden amongst the twisting labyrinths of packed shelves. They say that some internecine skirmishes over the ownership of certain holy artefacts ground to a stalemate several centuries ago, with the newer generations born since unwilling to break the attrition.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Gretchin~
Member Avatar
Colour Sergeant
The Lychgate

Despite the, what I hope to be evocative, locations in Undercroft City and Reliquary that make up the city of Frankylmoign that I've laid out earlier, it is the Lychgate that I hope to be the centre stage of this particular setting and, unlike the two mentioned previously that could have long term campaigns set in them, would be a one time event.

Traditionally, lychgates tend to be the small archway entrances into the churchyard, but of course, for this major landmark on Glebe IV, it would have to be much bigger, more grandiose and, of course, baroquely gothic. I instead looked at triumphal arches for inspiration as they also have a connection with the dead (normally as grand tombstones marking a special grave site) and found a very detailed drawing of the Arch of Maximillian I by Albrecht Durer that is simply spectacular and very fitting for the 41st Millennium.

Quote:

If you hear a citizen of Frankylmoign talk about lychgates, they are almost always referring to The Lychgate, the grand archway with stands sentry as the gates to the mausoleum of Glebe IV's patron saint; Saint Zabojca. Erected sometime in the closing years of the 31st Millennium following the devastating fires of the Great Heresy, where Saint Zabojca sacrificed her life in defence of Glebe IV against the daemonic horrors that invaded the world. But of course, many variations of her heroic tale are told elsewhere.....

Posted Image

Edited by Gretchin~, 5 Sep 2016, 11:01 PM.

Gretchin~
Member Avatar
Colour Sergeant
Frankylmoign

Lately, a friend of mine suggested that I check out the conceptual artwork of the lesser known Soviet constructivist architect Yakov Chernikhov. They are simply majestic to view and it is thrilling to think how the many cities of Russia would look today if even half of these were built.

Of course, they are perfectly suited to the aesthetics of the Imperium in the 41st Millennium and I imagine that Frankylmoign is thoroughly bedecked with buildings such as these. Enjoy.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Neil101
Member Avatar
Warrant Officer First Class
This is very exciting , vincent ward , the Russian constructavists , piranesis prisons, superb reference meterials , and all stuff that is in my own constant inpiration folder. You may want to check out some ex libris artworks ,very much in this vein of thought

Gretchin~
Member Avatar
Colour Sergeant
Spasibo, @Neil101! ^^

I had hoped that it would pique peoples interest! I did hope that I could gather enough people who were interested in it to maybe get a gaming project together. :3

Apologist
Member Avatar
Colour Sergeant
I've been following this on your blog, and glad to find it here. You've found a very rich vein of imagination to dig through; and I hope you do get a gaming project going. It'd be great to see this develop.

Gretchin~
Member Avatar
Colour Sergeant
Spasibo, Apologist! ^^

I'm already in the process of designing the Undercroft section in the hopes of getting some people inspired for a game sometime in the next year or so (or whenever the board is finished). :3

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
« Previous Topic · Dalthus Sector Discussion · Next Topic »