Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
The search for the Nyghtmare Endjin; Pallid King awakens
Topic Started: 11 Aug 2016, 09:16 PM (25,602 Views)
Khordal
Member Avatar
Colour Sergeant
Hey been lurking on here for a few months and have been really impressed and inspired by all the work that is displayed here, before signing up and deciding to make an account! I have been out of 40k for around 4 years and unfortunately during that time my bitz box was disposed of, however the idea of making an inquisitorial warband really appealed to me and so I decided to dive right back in with a few purchases!

I have decided to go with a radical inquisitor theme, but more along the lines of utilising forbidden technologies (such as AI) and searching for pre-age of strife things than warpcraft and the like. The inquisitor in question (who I have yet to make/name) is searching for a rumoured Dark Age of Technology factory/war ship known only as the Nyghtmare Endjin (crude translation of its original name into High Gothic) that supposedly wanders the systems of the Halo stars.

My first model is the renegade Magos Korso Verr: A rumoured proponent of the ideals of the heretek logicians, he believes that technology is to be understood, innovated upon and shared amongst the populace, rather than confined to hidebound superstition and nonsense rituals. Of course this did not go down well with his superiors on the Forge World of Nys III, forced to flee and hide in the lawless space bordering the galaxies edge it was here he met the inquisitor, a man of similar ideals and values. The Magos is now a essential part of the warband, for he has proven rather adept at "improving" the arms and armour found in the group.

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

He's my first model with any major green stuff work, so I understand if it looks a bit rough!

Secondly is Magos Korso Verr's pride and joy: The towering hunter-killer automata ABL-1, built around an ancient cortex engram found on the dead world of Rem. ABL-1 shows remarkable ability to adapt to situations and even operate independently of it's Master's commands, leading to whispers that it may house an Abominable Intelligence. Mutterings even suggest that the Magos and Inquisitor are fostering these tendencies, treating the automata as one would a friend.

Posted Image
Posted Image

Any thoughts/feedback would be much appreciated (bearing in mind this is my first post), and I will expand the story and warband as I go along!

Alexander
Member Avatar
Second Lieutenant
I like the sigmarine conversion. He looks like some kind of strange beetle with those spider legs.

Manus
Member Avatar
Warrant Officer First Class
nice storyline and great minis - especially a fan of the hunter killer bot

Khordal
Member Avatar
Colour Sergeant
So have finished painting ABL-1 or the Beetle, and decided to go with a verdigris bronze look for the main armour whilst the newer limbs had no rust or weathering, to convey the idea being that it was built using a mix of modern and ancient parts.

"Is not the machine that thinks blessed? To uplift the inert to consciousness, to grasp the fires of sentience, that is the provenance of the divine. That we are so afeared of the process only goes to demonstrate how far we have fallen."
- Opening lines of Magos Verr's heretical treatise The Sleep of Reason.

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

The Beetle is used as a heavy and a weapon of terror, to cow the warband's foes by unleashing a relentless and deadly machine to hound and drive them from their hiding places. Survivors of its attacks report that for hours beforehand their vox networks were flooded with sinister chittering machine code, rising to a crescendo and then silence before the Beetle begins its attack. Upon moving in for the kill, it operates with lethal efficiency, constantly inputting data to calculate the quickest and most effective mode of action, preferring to use its claws and machine strength, over wasting its ammo reserves.

With such effective results, it is little wonder that Magos Verr is rumoured to be attempting to copy the Beetle's cortex engram. Though supposedly with little success producing only insane machine brains that can only shriek and weep.
Edited by Khordal, 14 Aug 2016, 02:57 PM.

MonkeyBallistic
Member Avatar
Warrant Officer Second Class
Wow, the beetle is amazing. Very impressive work on his shoulder design too.

Khordal
Member Avatar
Colour Sergeant
Quote:

I like the sigmarine conversion. He looks like some kind of strange beetle with those spider legs.

Thank you! I think I will be calling it Beetle from now on Alexander!

@ Manus: Thank you, I am really pleased how he turned out.

@ MonkeyBallistic: Thanks! I think I am going to adopt the design as the Inquisitor's personal heraldry.

Now just to paint up the Magos.

Khordal
Member Avatar
Colour Sergeant
Having a bit of painters-block with the magos so decided to create a henchman for him out of Sicarian Bitz.

Nyssian model Cyber-Housecarl Mu-01:

Posted Image
Posted Image

Permanently slaved to Magos Verr's gene spoor Mu-01 lives to serve his master. The Magos mere presence results in a steady release of synthetic reward chems ensuring his Housecarl's unwavering loyalty.

TheGrange
Member Avatar
There's something froggy about Beetle that I like a lot. Looks nimble and hard-hitting.

Khordal
Member Avatar
Colour Sergeant
@TheGrange: Thanks! Its exactly what I was going for something that was quick and lithe but packs quite a punch!

The Cyber Housecarl Mu-01:

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Nyssian cyber housecarls are useful body guards for the Forgeworlds insular and paranoid Magi and Priesthood, where assassination and industrial "accidents" are common means of advancement. The housecarl is a fully cybernetic body that houses an organic brain and spinal cord, which is typically sourced from dissenting or heretical tech-priests. Its utter Loyalty to its master is ensued by psychosurgery and implantation of synthetic glands which release a steady stream of reward chemicals and tailored loyalty hormones, in the presence of it's masters gene spoor. In combat or upon receipt of threat code, these synthetic glands switch to releasing reflex and aggression enhancers boosting combat capabilities.

Mu-01 was gifted to Magos Verr before his descent into tech-heresy, and fled with him upon the discovery of his severe deviation from acceptable Mechanicus doctrine. He serves the Magos still whilst bearing the livery of the inquisition.

Nothing is known about Mu-01's origins but he displays several unusual quirks:
He shows odd reverence to pieces of art, sometimes even stopping in the middle of combat to admire it. Much to his masters chagrin who is forced to use command overrides and neural scourges.
The crew swears that occasionally on long voyages that they can hear faint mournful singing in the static between vox channels, which only stops when Mu-01 enters dormancy.

Despite this he remains a useful and deadly member of the warband!

Chokeful
Member Avatar
I love that fre hand. Don't know about a blue purity seal. It is certainly different but I would suggest a dark purple? I love what you did with the pressure suit and the head. Maybe darken the blue tubes a bit to make it less contrasted and more muted.
Loving the concept and stories too, keep 'me coming!

Khordal
Member Avatar
Colour Sergeant
@Chokeful: Thank you! Have made your suggested changes and purple for the purity seals looks much better, will post the pics soon!

Have finally received the bitz to make my inquisitor so here is a mock up using blue tack of the look I am going for!

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Any comments would be much appreciated! Also what do people think of the arm with the shield being bare? Am trying to avoid the classic marine look, but could sculpt a shoulder pad if needs be!

Khordal
Member Avatar
Colour Sergeant
So after some modifications, have assembled and fully painted my Inquisitor:

May I present Inquisitor Achilles Leth associated with the Ordos Xenos and a member of the Cyclops Cabal.

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Initially an Ordos Xenos member, Achilles operated in the Segmentum Pacificus pursuing the threat of the Alien and the heretic within the Imperial desmene. Preferring the subtle touch to the direct approach, he was mockingly referred to as the "Meek" by many of the hard line puritans and radicals that made up his local Ordos.

Whilst chasing a Slaaneshi-Xenophile cult operating on the fringes of the Halo stars, known as the Dreamers, he encountered Magos Verr and thus took the first steps on a new path. Initially sceptical of this known heretic, Achilles became intrigued and finally impressed by Verr's vision of a new Imperium: rational and powerful, truly standing on the shoulders of the technological Giants of the past, rather than scrabbling round their ankles in ignorance. The Inquisitor decided to press Verr into his service, offering to use his authority to shield him from the vengeful Mechanicus.

When Dreamer activity was detected on the feudal moon of Mnar, orbiting the dead world of Rem. Achilles and Verr rushed to the system: The Inquisitor eager finally to corner the insidious cult and the Magos keen to explore the pillared cities of Rem for archaeotech. Upon arrival they split up with Verr taking a small party to Rem and the Achilles to Mnar. It was here that tragedy struck, for the cult had been forewarned by its xenos allies, executing a terrible ambush on the Inquisitors retinue. Though they fought hard, the swarms of mutants, xenos and terrible hybrids took its toll, slaughtering his retinue and capturing the Inquisitor. Suffering unimaginable tortures, his body and broken but kept alive by the foul attentions of the cult, Achilles suffered for an agonising seven days. Finally being rescued by the Magos and his archeo-automata. Radical measures were needed to sustain what little remained of the inquisitor, and so using forbidden techniques and techno-arcana, Magos Verr encased him in an ancient suit of paleo-power armour found upon Rem.

Inquisitor Achilles harrowing experiences on Mnar reforged him and he returned to the conclave an aggressive and uncompromising individual preferring to go toe to toe with the enemies of mankind, than fight from the shadows. He still hunts the Dreamer's, making frequent excursions into the Halo Stars with Magos Verr in attempt to locate the seat of their power. (Though some in the ordos whisper that this is a mask for another obsession: to locate an unimaginably powerful piece of Dark Age Technology. Whilst others claim that his permanent integration into the suit of paleo-armour has caused its unusually bellicose machine spirit to afflict his faculties).

Thanks for reading guys, comments on the model or backstory are more than welcome!
Another henchman cobbled together with some bitz: This time its the remains of a feudal world warrior, converted into an automata/servitor by Magos Verr. ( Further Background will come later).

Posted Image
Posted Image

Edited by Khordal, 28 Aug 2016, 10:43 PM.

Khordal
Member Avatar
Colour Sergeant
After much consideration I decided to replace my current model for Magos Verr, and build a new one. I felt like he was too diminutive and didn't fit my idea of what he would be like in model form. So have demoted the old partially model shown at the beginning of the thread to a lowly acolyte of Verr's tasked with herding the automata.

Here are some WIPs of the new Magos Verr, who looks much more suited to searching for archeotech on hostile worlds and fending off the attention of orthodox mechanicus agents:

Posted Image
Posted Image

as always comments and criticisms are welcome! :D
Edited by Khordal, 31 Aug 2016, 11:32 PM.

Chokeful
Member Avatar
Great characters! The free hand shield is a favorite of mine. The latest model looks great and I adore your idea of herding the legio cybernetica. I thought of literally herding them with sticks and collars....

wystan_frauka
Member Avatar
Sergeant
Impressive work, Khordal.

I quite like your original model for Korso Verr, though he does look a little outclassed compared to his companions. He will make a good henchman. The use of a Stormcast head feel very appropriate, and the greenstuff work to make the hood looks great. I will say that that his body looks a little short, like he only has a ribcage and no abdomen. Not sure if you have painted him yet, but if not, you could consider doing something to make his torso feel more substantial.
ABL-1 is great too. Putting those slender legs on a Stormcast makes for a very sinister looking creation. The slender clawed arm and rebreather-esque looking head really help separate it from its base model. I like the skull logo you painted on with the black tendrils snaking out.

I love the skeletal henchman, particularly because of the head choice. I am pleased that you gave him a reasonably sized axe (too many weapons in Warhammer 40k are far too massive). The wicked claw arm looks neat, too. His back looks a little unfinished with that circular nub for a back pack, though.

I liked all of you backstory as well, but perhaps try to come up with a more interesting name than The Dreamers for Lethís adversaries? Not really much of a criticism, but I feel you can come up with something a little more evocative.

Khordal
Member Avatar
Colour Sergeant
@Chokeful: Thank you! Yeah I like the idea of herding the less advanced automata with a big taser/command rod to keep poking them forward towards their target. Though with some of them I can't imagine the acolyte being too keen to "encourage" them forward...

@wystan_frauka: Thank you, am glad you like the progress so far! Unfortunately for the henchman, he is already halfway painted so not too much I can do, but I do agree that his torso does look a little short. The green stuff hood was one of my first proper greenstuff sculpts (other than filling in gaps), so its nice to hear that it looks good!

Am very pleased with how ABL-1 ended up (those legs were an absolute faff to get right haha!) and sinister is exactly what I was going for. Have also stuck a backpack on the skeletal henchman, as you were right in the back did look pretty blank!

Regarding the name for the adversaries I have to agree there that "the Dreamers" are pretty boring as a name for a sinister cult! How about something like: Church of the Final Dream or Dreamers of the First Sin? As I want them to retain the dream aspect, as one of their core beliefs is that reality is all actually a dream of unimaginable entity and that by summoning their god, he/she will lead them to the true blissful plane of existence.

wystan_frauka
Member Avatar
Sergeant
Khordal
2 Sep 2016, 10:18 AM
How about something like: Church of the Final Dream or Dreamers of the First Sin? As I want them to retain the dream aspect, as one of their core beliefs is that reality is all actually a dream of unimaginable entity and that by summoning their god, he/she will lead them to the true blissful plane of existence.
Either of those would be fine. I am more partial to Church of the Final Dream, if deciding between the two.

I figured that you were likely already painting the henchman, as my comments have come fairly late into the existence of this thread. No worries. Who knows what functions of his old body have been removed to replace with machinery? Keep pushing yourself with modelling work, as you first ventures are impressive. The more you do it, the better you will get!

The hooded Sicarian Ruststalker head has been a tremendous boon to the modelling community, as it has been worked into many great conversions. It looks great on your reworked Magos. I like what you did with his right hand, using the Stormcast forearm, and the slender sword he is holding.

Khordal
Member Avatar
Colour Sergeant
@wystan_frauka: Yeah will go with the first name from now on for the cult. Thank you am really enjoying coming up with these models! I am already feeling like I am improving the more green stuff work I do.

The hooded sicarian head is definitely a good one and feels very mechanicus-y, without it I feel like my magos would have turned out as a more "generic" power armoured dude. The sword looked much better than the hammer the stormcast was holding :D.

"...and there... sat a lumpish figure robed in yellow silk with red and having a yellow silken mask over its face."
HP Lovecraft, Dream-Quest of Unknown Kadath (an obscure piece of work dating back to before even the Dark Age of Technology).

So whilst painting up my new Magos and after seeing the phenomenal true-scale marine work done by the folks at Iron Sleet, the new Deathwatch Kill team kit caught my eye. So decided to attempt my own true scale astartes model. Inspired by the descriptions of Heresy Black Shield marines and my love of all things HP Lovecraft, decided to create an ancient blackshield, still fighting his own long war agains't his traitorous brothers. However he is no shining paragon of the imperium, and to sustain his war he has to make pacts with terrible and unknowable forces (Not chaos,going more alien eldritch in the vain of Lovecrafts Old Gods).

So using the one remaining stormcast body I got in the "Hobby starter kit", some deathwatch kill team bitz and some bitz left over from the Alexi Pollux kit, I present my Blackshield astartes (further background and name to come):

Posted Image
Posted Image

Had a real hassle removing the shoulderpads (I wouldn't recommend using the starter set stormcast for truescaling), but am very pleased with how he turned out, especially the cloth veil.

Any comments or suggestions are more than welcome!

Edited by Khordal, 6 Sep 2016, 03:20 PM.

wystan_frauka
Member Avatar
Sergeant
I really like what you have done with your true scale Astartes. I think the Stormcast models are a great way to experiment with true scale Space Marines. The Stormcast have much better proportions than most of the Space Marine models (most marines have tremendous thigh gaps and largely lack an abdomen). I like the hooded face and the silk obscuring his face (Hastur!), another impressive foray with green stuff.

I feel that the head of the hammer is too large, even for him. Perhaps use the head of a regular thunder hammer? If you donít have access to any of them, send me a private message and I can send you a few to try out.

Khordal
Member Avatar
Colour Sergeant
@wystan_frauka: Thank you, the stormcast body as a base makes for a much more imposing marine, than the heroic scale ones! I am glad you got the reference to Hastur with the hooded face, have added a bit more silk to the torso and leg to tie it together a bit better. Have messaged you about the hammer as I am still in two minds about it and shall wait on your response before painting!

Have also picked up the new White Dwarf with the free slaughterpriest. Its a much more imposing model than I expected, so am struggling on what to convert it into, other than a non armoured astartes. Its quite Khornate as well, so there is alsothat to deal with! Any suggestions will be gladly received.
On a bit of a modelling train at the moment and have found a use for the slaughter priest I got with White Dwarf, have converted him up to be a hulking abhuman psyker.

Here is the Ragged-Man, the terror of Hive Praxes and Essence eater:

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

(Found that the flash on my phone was making photos a bit funky, think the darker ones are better, too much shine otherwise).

Wanted to go the opposite direction usually taken for a Warbands psyker, rather than a frail spindly being he is a hulking monstrosity, using his psychic powers to boost his already formidable physique. The rags and strips of clothe are to hide his deformities but also add to his imposing nature, hence his refusal to don more normal attire even at the Inquisitors insistence.

Edited by Khordal, 7 Sep 2016, 04:11 PM.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · INQ28 Painting & Modelling · Next Topic »