Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Ordo Machinum; Noboxy expects the Inquisition and their impounded Heretek toys
Topic Started: 8 May 2016, 10:53 AM (2,222 Views)
OrdoMachinum
Member Avatar
Corporal
Hello everyone!

I took up the wargaming hobby in January, after briefly experimenting with it in my teenage years. I initially started with a Start Collecting Skitarii box, but ended up getting a whole lot more once I found out it's a lot more fun to make your own models, by converting and painting them with your own style. The stuff I found under 'inq28' turned out to be very inspiring.

I'm currently working on a warband/army of the Inquisitorial Ordo Machinum, and the confiscated wargear of their Skitarii allies. I might add some Sisters of Battle later to add some more religious zeal -the cowbell of warhammer- into the army. Religious Cybernetic medieval trench warfare is all the rage in the 41st Millenium!

I'm currently chronicling my experiments on Tumblr (http://ordomachinum.tumblr.com/), but it would be nice to give and receive some constructive criticism from you guys as well!

Here's some of what I've done so far:
Ministorum Priest:
Posted Image
Posted Image

Servitor with plasma gun:
Posted Image

Arcoflagellants
Posted Image
Posted Image

(Jokaero) Weaponsmith
Posted Image

Death Cult Assassins:
Posted Image
Posted Image

Skitarii Vanguard
Posted Image

Acolyte in power armour:
Posted Image

And my evergoing building of The Transport Bunker
Counts-as-Chimera
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Edited by OrdoMachinum, 9 May 2016, 01:19 PM.

OrdoMachinum
Member Avatar
Corporal
Some shots from the production line!

Inquisitor Yarr:
Posted Image

A crusader sporting the latest in fashion; a portable warshine. Not sure what else I'll put on it. The grey stuff is a kneadable eraser gum, it's what I use to test-'glue' things together.

Posted Image
Posted Image

euansmith
Member Avatar
Major
Yarr, Inquisitor Yarr be a fine figure of a man, yarrr.

Mr. Litotes
Member Avatar
Colour Sergeant
I like the fine combination you have of technology and zealotry in these henchmen. I like the color choices they are bold and stand out well, I'm sure these fellows look good on the table top.

I especially like the leman russ. Adding the lascannons on top with the men firing them from behind... well it looks like the russ was designed for this sort of setup. Very organic looking.

WilhelMiniatures
Colour Sergeant
These are some brilliantly weird conversions! I especially like the servitor with plasmagun.

AceOfBlades
Member Avatar
Warrant Officer First Class
The Inquisitor and the crusader are looking great. The crusaders portable shrine actually prompted me to add a little reliquary to the back(pack) of one of the crusaders I've been working on. I unfortunately don't have any bits quite as grand as the shrine you have used.

Also wanted to say that I love your mixture of WHFB bits and the colors you used for the first lot of minis you posted. Don't often see that shade of green used around here but you've managed to pull it off really well.

Ryebye
Member Avatar
Sergeant
I really like the plasma servitor and Arcoflagellants they looks ace, the Acolyte in power armour is also a favourite the head and other bits really make him look non space marine which is great.

SinisterFlux
Member Avatar
Corporal
i love the colours youve used. that turquise colour is great.

Tony of Nurgle
Member Avatar
Warrant Officer Second Class
Yeah, great colour scheme and a really interesting vision you've got going on - great stuff!

OrdoMachinum
Member Avatar
Corporal
Some pictures from the WIP Chimera-stand in. I just keep finding detals to add!

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

And some repainted and rebased older figurines. I've really used a lot of milliput with these, which is a putty like green stuff, but a lot better for bases. They really fit with the rest of the army now, which is really getting a bit of a Fallout vibe, with the green of a nuclear radstorm. I now have enough finished models to play my first killteam game! Thanks for the comments everyone!

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image
AceOfBlades
1 Jun 2016, 02:22 PM
The Inquisitor and the crusader are looking great. The crusaders portable shrine actually prompted me to add a little reliquary to the back(pack) of one of the crusaders I've been working on. I unfortunately don't have any bits quite as grand as the shrine you have used.

Also wanted to say that I love your mixture of WHFB bits and the colors you used for the first lot of minis you posted. Don't often see that shade of green used around here but you've managed to pull it off really well.
The reliquary is actually cut out from a wall of the Manufactorum scenery model. They're a great and affordable choice for bits!
Edited by OrdoMachinum, 8 Jul 2016, 08:17 PM.

JDM
Member Avatar
Sergeant
Wonderful little kitbashes here, especially your tank and death cult assassins.
Also, I am a sucker for the green you've used, love it!

OrdoMachinum
Member Avatar
Corporal
The green is a agraxshaded Sybarite Green. I really like it as well, though it's maybe a bit much on the tank. Under one lightsource it looks amazing, under another it can look vomitinducing :D

euansmith
Member Avatar
Major
I was just looking back through your posts, and wanted to give special mention to the mangled and nailed arm on the Arcoflagellant; that is really horrible in just the right way. The Acolyte in power armour is a lovely mini, full of character.

OrdoMachinum
Member Avatar
Corporal
The base model of that is one of the zombies pulling the corpse cart, which is a great source for all kinds of grizzly stuff. It did take quite a bit of tinkering to get the position to look right, as they are standing almost diagonally. Adding those scissor legs on one side helped to balance it out!

Emperor Zanus
Corporal
I'm a big fan of this thread, your conversions are on point, but I'm obsessed with your painting style. Can you describe your process? Have you ever done a tutorial?

OrdoMachinum
Member Avatar
Corporal
Nope, I haven't :) I basically use a lot of earthy and subdued tones with a single standout color. I use quite a bit of agrax earthshade, sometimes thinned down if I apply it a second or third time. I also prefer not using too stark colour progression for highlighting, which you see more in the Heavy Metal style of painting. The endresult looks a lot more natural, especially if you use your bases to tie everything together.

For example, for the green robes it would be.
a) Basecoat Sybarite Green
b) Shade with Agrax
c) Sybarite green over the raised areas
d) Sybarite green with a bit of ulthuan grey for highlights (this is quite thinned down if the surface allows for more fluid applications, so not for creases in the armrobes or something, where it would leak into the folds)

I eyeball a lot of it and my painting is quite freeform.I might add a thinned down wash at the end, or inbetween. The colours are therefore not always 100% the same, but that just adds to the ragtag feel.

OrdoMachinum
Member Avatar
Corporal
Some WIP pics for a painting contest at the local shop, this time a Stormcast Eternal. I decided to turn him into a proper 40k sigmarine. Really satisfied with the base!

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Alexander
Member Avatar
Second Lieutenant
Crazy stuff!

bobzebub
Member Avatar
Colour Sergeant
The attention to detail on the bases really makes these minis pop

OrdoMachinum
Member Avatar
Corporal
Hey everyone! Work has been slow the past month. I've been out LARP'ing and worked a bit on my Flames of War starter set, scale 1/100 mini's are the cutest. I also finished my Trenchbreacherbot and am very proud of the result. I will take some better pictures (his sides are just as awesum) when I get the opportunity, but for now he's stuck in the cabinet of the local FLGS, participating in a local painting competition.

Posted Image

(Yes, I'm also whoring for likes, which you can do here: https://www.facebook.com/126507664056152/photos/a.1266422770064630.1073741829.126507664056152/1266422983397942/?type=3&theater)

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
« Previous Topic · INQ28 Painting & Modelling · Next Topic »