Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Sand, sand and more sand; WW2 Sikh vs Italian
Topic Started: 28 Jan 2016, 11:23 PM (751 Views)
scrubber
Member Avatar
Warrant Officer Second Class
Date: Early world war two.
Combatants: British Indian Sikhs against Italian.
Terrain: Sand, lots of it.

When my son was 15 {10 years ago} we said that we your try out early WW2 combat. So off we go to Triples when it was at Sheffield university and bought some figures from "Under the Bed miniatures".

This will be a slow posting, as their are really other things I should be painting.

Time to make a start, I've had a Frontline Polish Fiat 508 on the paint table for 2 years now, so this will be first Italian vehicle along with an anti-tank gun with crew.

Found paint guide last night which I like. Vallejo Tan Yellow for the body, washed in strong ink tone. Heavy dry brush of Vallejo Desert yellow { anyone know if Warlords Desert Yellow is the same as I already have that.} Finally light dry brush of Vallejo Pale Sand.

The Fiat 508 has a canvas top to the truck part. Any idea what colour that should be.

euansmith
Member Avatar
Major
Does the picture below help? That's a Fiat 508 Balilla Spider Militare I think.

Posted Image
Edited by euansmith, 30 Jan 2016, 06:10 PM.

# the_great_gonzo
Member Avatar
Wg Cdr
Regardless of factory fresh, have a good look at sun bleached paintwork and canvas. You'll get away with most colours, I can testify with my service kit that changed colour rapidly in desert conditions. Nothing looked fresh after a few weeks the sun!

# Marovian
Member Avatar
Ginger Law Enforcer
Interesting project. I shall keep an eye on your progress on the fiat.

scrubber
Member Avatar
Thanks Gonzo, fabric that touches framework is nearly bleached back to the original material colour then.

Digging in the dust today found my Breda 47mm Anti-tank gun to go with the fiat. Looking at pictures, are the wheels on or off the gun when it is being fired ?
These are all 20mm figures, should the crew be on the same base as the gun ? Also what size bases should I be looking to buy ?

☺Easy E
Member Avatar
Captain
I love the force choices!

scrubber
Member Avatar
Painted up the fiat and let it without a base, as this would appear to be the norm.
Not sure what to do with the anti-tank gun. Should the crew and gun all be on the same base, or should the crew be on their own bases.
Will be using 20mm round bases for the infantry.

scrubber
Member Avatar
Finished the vehicle and anti-tank gun.
Posted Image
Will need to put gun on base as the trails are fragile.
So need help. Is there a size of base I need or should it be just to fit the model. Also do the crew go on the same base as the model or separate.
Edited by scrubber, 7 May 2016, 03:29 PM.

# the_great_gonzo
Member Avatar
Wg Cdr
Basing depends on whether or not you want to take casualties on gun crews or not.

scrubber
Member Avatar
What would you suggest to clean very greasy resin armour car. Tried fairy liquid and warm water, but still the undercoat spray does not want to stick.
HELP !!!!! please.

# the_great_gonzo
Member Avatar
Wg Cdr
Detol.

scrubber
Member Avatar
Thank you worked.

scrubber
Member Avatar
Need some help. Was the Indian Army uniform used in the desert campaign of WW2 the same as the British uniform?

☺Ash
Member Avatar
Lieutenant
Pretty much, same range of colours. Might find the occasional leather pouch or up to the knee puttees.

scrubber
Member Avatar
Thanks Ash. Could I ask further, if I wanted them for the Tunisia campaign would the uniform be the light 8th army colour or the darker British uniform ?

☺Ash
Member Avatar
Lieutenant
Good question. I would lean more towards the lighter, but darker battle dress was also around. Probably get away with mixing it up a bit.
Could be time to invest in a copy of Osprey's :The British Army 193945 (2)Middle East & Mediterranean Pt. 2 (Men-at-arms): North Africa and Italy Pt. 2

https://www.amazon.co.uk/British-Army-1939-1945-Mediterranean-Men-at-arms/dp/1841762377/ref=tmm_pap_swatch_0?_encoding=UTF8&qid=1531680012&sr=8-2

2 users reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
Members: ☺lavadude360
« Previous Topic · 'Real World' Project Logs · Next Topic »