Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Shibboleth's Sumptown Chronicles; inq28 terrain & warbands | p9 The H8 Platform
Topic Started: 24 Dec 2015, 07:27 PM (46,461 Views)
Shibboleth
Member Avatar
Colour Sergeant
Posted Image

Merry Christmas & Happy New Year!

Many of you may be familiar with my prior thread, "Sump City", which I began a year and a half ago, documenting my terrain projects for Inquisimunda/Necromunda, etc. I've built a LOT of terrain and it's been a fun project. The reaction the original project received here, as well as online, has been flattering and inspired me to push my hobby skills and imagination with this deeper incarnation.

I've been thinking a lot about a 2.0 version of that initial idea, and feel that I hadn't fully realized the concept in the way I really wanted. I'm also driven by the desire to build terrain that balances my modeling interests in creating Diorama style playing pieces with ease of gameplay. I got to the point where I had SO MUCH scatter terrain that the setup and teardown was longer than desired, and there were many loose pieces, easily misplaced, lost, etc.

Enter SUMPTOWN CHRONICLES.

I purchased some game tiles ("Battleframe 5000" from Back 2 Baseix). These frames are 300mm squares, almost 12", laser cut and precision made. They also have built in rare earth magnets, so each tile can SNAP into the other and stay connected. Knocking the table accidently is no longer catastrophic! lol.

I've decided to build an incredible skirmish table with diorama qualities in each sector. Built with gaming in mind, so it has to accommodate figures, bases, etc... Plus, setup and teardown will be much quicker. I'll keep a few pieces of scatter terrain for occasional needs, as well as build some open area tiles that can accommodate my pre-existing larger buildings.

Thematically, this will be the ultimate SUMPTOWN, a former industrial area that routinely floods, originally ruined and abandoned, to be rediscovered and inhabited by low lifes, scum, villains, and monstrosities.

I've already started, and my goal is to complete 1 or 2 tiles per month. A 16 tile, 4x4 board finished within 12 months. Perhaps sooner. I'm always juggling my professional life here in the movie world, but this is going to be my #1 hobby project for the new year.

See you in the sump...... Shibboleth
Edited by Shibboleth, 15 Jun 2016, 03:13 AM.

Starfarer
Member Avatar
Warrant Officer Second Class
Awesome to hear you have new stuff planned! I'm very much looking forward to seeing this progress. Your original thread was a huge inspiration for my own game board, especially the use of the DUST buildings, as I happened to have a bunch of them as a former DUST player! :D

I have to agree on the scatter terrain. It's one thing that's really started to annoy me about setup/cleanup for games. I've started to put everything on GW bases, so far nothing smaller than 60mm bases, so it's not little stuff that can get overlooked as easily. I'm also thinking of doing hazard stripes on the base rims for these pieces so they stand out even more. Everything else is just being glued onto the larger terrain pieces.

Anyway, I'll keep en eye out for this in the new year. I'm adding a bunch of new stuff for my table this year as well, so I'm sure I'll be drawing inspiration from your work yet again. ;)

Bronislaw Czevak
Member Avatar
Warrant Officer First Class
I'll look forward to this one, I'm expanding my gaming table in 2016. You can't beat a game on a nice terrain set 👍🏻

Plus Four
Sergeant
I was really inspired by your original dump board so will be looking forward to your new project!

Lysimachus
Member Avatar
Loved the previous thread so really looking forward to seeing how this progresses!

The idea of permanent squares is excellent, easier to set up but should still provide lots of different permutations! How will you keep the 3 dimensional quality of the board, perhaps the minimal non-fixed terrain could include bridges/walkways of varying lengths so that the 'tiles' can still be connected above ground level?

Anyway, as I said this is very exciting and I'm already looking forward to the next update! :)
Edited by Lysimachus, 24 Dec 2015, 11:32 PM.

Lamby
Member Avatar
oooh... love a good terrain thread!

Rob Strachan

I'm looking forward to seeing more of your stuff!

Shibboleth
Member Avatar
Colour Sergeant
I'll likely still use the loose walkways & catwalks to connect upper floors for necromunda gaming.

Been working on a few tiles & one has particularly got me excited. I'll post some pics after Xmas. Curious if you guys are interested in seeing more of the WIP style pics and process type posts?

Feel free to chime in- interested in hearing your thoughts.

Shibboleth

☺PDH
Member Avatar
Lieutenant
Hey Dude. It's been a while.

It looks great you big tease ☺. I want to see a shed load of pictures from all stages of the project.

Malika
Member Avatar
Wow, this is gonna be awesome! And please, do share WIP pics!

Plus Four
Sergeant
Seconded......or is it thirded? Definitely WIP as well as finished product!

euansmith
Member Avatar
Major
Yay! More terrain stuff. I love terrain and yours is exemplary.

RADU LYKAN
Lieutenant
Lots of pics from all stages sounds about right

Shibboleth
Member Avatar
Colour Sergeant
Hope you all had a Merry Christmas!

SUMPTOWN CHRONICLES Tile #1 WIP Update (Water Processing Station/Fishmonger)

Here is the first tile I've begun working on. Overall very happy with the visual balance of the tile. Obviously, very early and LOTS of additional work to do.

Posted Image

I had painted this shanty earlier, so when I prime and paint the tile, I'll mask it off. I've experimented with layouts for a number of tiles, and come up with a few guiding rules for myself. One of them is that tiles should always have at least one element that is askew. So in the case of the shipping container, it's helpful to keep it non-parallel. When lined up with other tiles, it creates the possibility of a narrow alleyway. The container will likely have a lot of graffiti, as well as litter in the alley section.

Posted Image

"Front View" of the tile. The Water processor needs a lot more detailing. More pipes, random groups of wiring, perhaps a 2nd "Spigot". The cardboard will receive Liquitex Resin Sand texture gel, to give it the appearance of concrete. The entire structure also needs a hundred nuts/bolts holding it together. Overall, just want to make it very busy.

You may notice there are 2 metal ring loops, one on the Processor, and one on the 2nd floor of the Fishmonger. There will be a clothesline between the two structures, suspended over the central alleyway.

Posted Image

Thinking of including a small table outside the fishmonger's with rotten fish on it. The lower floor of the Processing tube will have a control station. I'm waiting on some control panels from Copplestone Casting's Kiss Kiss Bang Bang line for that piece. I plan on including some wiring out of the control panel up the side of the tube, perhaps splitting off to the Necromunda bulkhead to "power" a light, which I'll paint with Object Source lighting effects onto the ground below. I also plan on adding a rounded half-circle section of concrete around the base of the tube. That will contrast nicely with dark earth for the rest of the tile. I may also include some little puddles of waste here and there.

Posted Image

OVERHEAD VIEW:

Posted Image

The circular platform will be painted with distressed yellow/black hazard striping. I'm ordering some Forge World Brass Etch eagles and will likely place one on this platform. It will feel similar to my Sump City Tower #7 piece from my prior thread. I've considered including some boxes on the roof, but think it may be best to keep it open and simply use scatter terrain when needed. It will store easier, and I'm not inclined to always provide cover up top, effectively fortifying it for all future games.
Edited by Shibboleth, 5 Apr 2016, 07:01 PM.

Plus Four
Sergeant
That is looking great! I think you've nailed it by keeping the buildings & other fixtures asymmetrical - it'll make things much much more interesting once the boards start to be connected.

Good to see that those shanty buildings that you featured back in your previous thread will be featuring in the new project!

Any plans for water?

Shibboleth
Member Avatar
Colour Sergeant
@ Plus Four: Thanks! Big plans for water. I'm considering some shantytown areas on dock platforms, some "coastline" style tiles to lead into water sections, a rotten whale, a possible lighthouse, etc. I also have a 26" long oil tanker toy that I've rescaled and will be building into a 12"x24" tile as a ruined shipwreck.

Water will probably be in the painting style of the 1st post's pic, but with some more waves. I'm experimenting with water styles right now. In fact, any advice or tutorials on water effects are welcome.

I've looked at Modge Podge, GW Water Effects, and Vallejo Water Effects. Looking for realistic shimmer and slight waves, with the deeper greens and browns from my test work.

Lysimachus
Member Avatar
Beautiful painting, the colours you've achieved on the woodwork and metals/rust are gorgeous!

How did you build the shacks and container? Are they taken from any kits, or scratchbuilt (and if so, do you have any tutorials anywhere)?
Edited by Lysimachus, 26 Dec 2015, 09:58 PM.

Malika
Member Avatar
By the way, hopefully this might inspire you! :)

Shibboleth
Member Avatar
Colour Sergeant
@ Malika: Thanks for the link. Fantastic board! Had not seen that one before. Great use of varied pieces too- love the industrial, mechanical feel of that table.

@ Lysimachus: The container is from Reaper Bones, who are now releasing some plastic terrain pieces. I like it. I have a lot of the older AT-43 shipping containers- these are slightly more narrow. I'd really love for someone to find a way to sell me (or provide me) some of the odd mechanical ForgeWorld pieces that haven't been made for regular public consumption. I'd like this board to be as much 40k oriented as possible. Regular shipping containers are ok, and can be painted up with Imperial Eagles, etc. But.......

these FW 40k Shipping Containers in this Mechanicum Table are incredible, and not currently sold? : http://www.adeptus-astartes.com/uploads/4/5/6/6/4566484/4274541_orig.jpg

The Shacks are MicroArt Studios XIX Shantytown. I've heavily modified them with plastic card, piping, as well as assorted resin cast vents and mechanical doo-dads.

Malika
Member Avatar
By the way, if you like that board, you might also dig the WIP pics.

Maybe try to get your hands on sold Ork bits, I don't know if the current Ork range has any funky spear guns, which might be fitting equipment for the fishmonger. But then again, now I want to see some captured mutant sea creature that's ready to be processed (chopped up).

As for the containers, you could also try something like this.

Oh, and more food for though: http://40kaddict.blogspot.be/2010/10/blog-post.html and part 2: http://40kaddict.blogspot.be/2010/12/40k-future-container-scatter-terrain.html

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · INQ28 Painting & Modelling · Next Topic »