Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Illuminati Aquila; Final installment of my =I= trilogy
Topic Started: 5 Feb 2015, 02:12 AM (12,247 Views)
migsula
Member Avatar
Warrant Officer Second Class
+++Pious Honorius+++

+++_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ – _ _ _…+++

…access granted…

+++DATE M 42 – detail hidden+++

=== Recipient: _____ ===

+++ Inquisitor: Lord Celestine+++

+++ Condensed Notes : of Life and Death+++

+++ Diary +++

So tranquil, so verdant, a perfect sphere of greens, blues, turquoise.

What life looks like.

A blink, the capillary flow of gore and black, superimposed chemical death and hellfire. Capital punishment of a system. Death, death, death.

Thousand fold smiting of my soul.

A billion martyrs.

Love. To so deeply care of his subjects. To do the God Emperors bidding. To murder a billion to deny the witch. To stand naked against the warp and prevail. To wear the armor of contempt and go to war with the unborn.

Hate. No remorse. So strong it makes me. It makes us. Sinners and Saints in equal measure. Crusaders. Believers. Utterly focused.

We are the Emperor’s light. Blinding ruthlessness.

Lord Caius Celestine Pelagius

Inquisitor,

Ordos Terra,

Ordo Hereticus

If there was a body of work that defined what my little legacy for the hobby might be, it would be the Good, the Bad and the Ugly – the Inquisitor Trilogy.

Starting with Shaddes offe Greye, the Ugly – a study to the endless grey that is the worlds of Warhammer 40000 and trying to create models matching the raw creation of Blanche’s illustrations. It also helped create the +I+munda movement as we played a splendid campaign called the Jade Vessel. A twisted Necromunda that became a beacon of sorts for hobbyists wanting to enjoy the inquisition from modeling to gaming. This was followed by the Red Storme Riseth, the Bad – pushing the envelope towards radicalism and painting a storm of blood, gore, and despair. My first paint job of Alban Silas (pictured below with his motley crew), the rogue Inquisitor, had been a smooth disaster, and it was as if devil took over and dropped a can of blood on him and the second coming still remains my favorite model.

Posted Image

So.

Years in the thinking.

The Illuminati Aquila – The Good

The terrible, blinding embrace of the Emperor of man. Noble, honorable, an institution. Lord and model of the Ordos. Utterly without remorse.

Inspired in equal degree by Roman Catholic Churches, the Orthodox Catholic Icon art, painted on gold canvas, Adrian Smith’s classic, over the top imperial and armored Inquisitors, my friend Neil and finding the exact polar opposite to the first two parts.

I want to study the role of religion, the Ministorumme, and not the usual route of preachers and priests, but of Emperor’s blinding power and belief in a Lord Inquisitor, in a very very powerful witch. And perhaps a leader of a movement within the Inquisition. A paradox of the kind that makes the Warhammer 40000 universe.

Idea (painting this vibrant, translucent, smokey, yet shiny, almost light emitting gold) is a few years in the thinking, but has also recently gotten a nice proof of concept in the collector edition seventh edition Warhammer 40000 cover art. Which is somewhat similar to how I had imagined the models to look. It has also required finding the Scale 75 metallics and learning to use an airbrush (latter less so than the former).

I started on 3 different Inquisitors during the years between Silas and now, and was dissatisfied. None felt like a dystopian version of the church, armed with the power of the warp, until a certain Forge World model caught my eye.

And of course, the Invitational Mikko, Kari and I came up for the Iron Sleet blog, a perfect “excuse” to give Vlka Fenryka a brake and dive in the deep end. The end result will likely be half a dozen models, but starting with three and using the challenge as a good driver to give the group nice variation and strong identity. I present to you three little teasers. The Inquisitor, the Commissar and a heavy stubber system. 25, 40, 60mm bases respectively. And a whole lotta detail, candles, skulls, parchments, seals, to go in… I have some VERY interesting “character” concepts in development too.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Darth Mustard
Member Avatar
Colour Sergeant
I'm hooked :D

Starfarer
Member Avatar
Grab some popcorn, boys. This is gonna be good.

Spoiler: click to toggle

Logan
Member Avatar
Warrant Officer First Class
First you had my curiosity. Now you have my attention! :D

migsula
Member Avatar
Thanks for the positive response guys. This should be a ton of fun.

I'm a huge fan of this forum, and was so bummed I could not share my VLKA FENRYKA (below) here as the 40k forum is not the same in spirit as the INQ28, but it's great to be back to a subject matter that fits. Having said that, it's much harder than I thought to have two labors of love going at the same time.

I do think each can feed from the other and I see them as polar opposites in some ways. Order Hereticus and the Ecclesiarchy vs. Wyrd of Fenrys.

Posted Image

Posted Image

euansmith
Member Avatar
Major
Is it 40k? Check. Does it have weird skulls? Check! Does it have pipes, claws and hoods? Check, check and check. Congratulations, VLKA FENRYKA appears to have passed the "Is this Inq28 enough?" Test.

Those are some lovely conversions and the painting is so restrained and characterful.

MonkeyBallistic
Member Avatar
Migsula, I doubt anyone would object to you sharing anything on this forum. I did the same and stopped posting here when I stopped making Inquisitorial stuff. However, I think the spirit of this forum is actually far more important than the subject matter. Your Space Wolves are works of miniature art, which in my mind at least, is what this forum is all about.

GrahamR
Sergeant
I shall second the sentiment of both Euansmith and Monkeyballistic. You've got the vibe of Inq28 in those VLKA FENRYKA and to not post them would be the bigger sin. It's not like it's an army. Your stuff is art, inq28 is art... fill your boots. Everyone wins when great stuff like this gets posted.

Jeff Vader
Member Avatar
Second Lieutenant
What they said.
Exploration of the strange corners of the 40k corner is what this forum is about! And the Fenryka certainly fits that bill!

Really looking forward to see how the "good guys" develop, Migs! Go team aquila!
Edited by Jeff Vader, 5 Feb 2015, 10:22 PM.

migsula
Member Avatar
Thanks guys! Your support is much appreciated. I hope to have an update this weekend :)

Darth Mustard
Member Avatar
Colour Sergeant
Perfect illustration of my view of dark corners.
Pure gems to my eyes

bra'tac
Corporal
Awesome stuff!
Can't wait to see more!

Keep it up!

cheers,

Bra'tac

# Commissar Molotov
Member Avatar
Lord Inquisitor
I look forward to seeing the results of this thread, and of the Invitational in general.

It seems Iron Sleet is up to a great many interesting things.

Spoiler: click to toggle

Lamby
Member Avatar
Looking forward to seeing the InviTatiOnal trio complete, Migs!

Tomas
Member Avatar
Colour Sergeant
Very excited to see more of these guys. If your wolves are anything to go by we're all in for a real treat!

migsula
Member Avatar

“But he who dares not grasp the thorn Should never crave the rose.”

- Anne Bronté, Ancient Terran Poet

I wanted to give you a glimpse of the ideas and feels that will shape this final installment of the Inquisitor Trilogy. Lord Pelagius travels the galaxy with faith, class and certain Terran relics to underline this. Hesperrhorods is a rare, nearly extinct flower that only grows on terra. Suspended on antigravitic vase of incredibly strong alloy and protected by the faintest glimmer of stasis.

The Celeres pattern Sentinel automaton is a terran miracle and a stable workhorse of several elite Ecclesiarchy Armories. Extremely agile and able to be outfitted with Heavy Stubbers or close combat tools.

I have mentioned how gold and light and shadow will basically be the paint scheme for this entry and the perfect palette reference is attached from the cover of the 7th edition collector rulebook – beautiful handiwork of a good friend.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Darth Mustard
Member Avatar
Colour Sergeant
I like the complete change of direction from your recent minis. I can't wait to see your take on gold. The romantic and renaissance aspect of the extravagant religious gold and the rose as a relic is very clever and perfect for the despair of 40k.

GrahamR
Sergeant
I positively cannot wait to see how you go about translating that golden sheen into a colour scheme on a mini.

euansmith
Member Avatar
Major
There are not enough flowers in 40k. Great stuff.

Logan
Member Avatar
This sounds very interessting. Can't wait for further pics and stuff!

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · INQ28 Painting & Modelling · Next Topic »