Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Nerodine's eclectic, random offerings
Topic Started: 25 Jan 2015, 08:04 PM (9,506 Views)
nerodine
Member Avatar
Second Lieutenant
Hello!

Finally getting back in the saddle, metaphorically speaking, when it comes to painting. I'm using the OMAM challenge as a lovely way to start those good habits again, and happily completed my first proper figure in nearly four years - Captain Victoria Haley from Warmachine. So well done Ammobunker, the threat of a public shaming for commiting and not delivering helped me get moving again!

Posted Image

I've had this figure primed and in storage for about ten years, so thought it would be a nice choice to start with. You can see how it should actually be painted on the Privateer Press site.

It's evident I have a lot of relearning to do and tried quite a few different approaches on this figure, but as a starting point I'm reasonably happy. The lady's a Warcaster and that means magic and voodo, so I tried to make the blue cloth have a slightly glowing quality to it by highlighting up with green but it didn't work out quite as planned. Also my highlighting needs practice ... a lot of practice. Metallics almost worked, but I think playing with bright, shiny, dull, worn and verdigris on a single figure was pushing my luck.

Discovered the Vallejo pigments last weekend, so excuse the enthusiastic coating of Natural Umber on the base. But my word - that pigment is amazing, and I need to learn how to use it properly.

So there we go - my contribution to OMAM up and running with something completed in January ahead of schedule. Phew.

Figure mounted on a GW base (complete with Marine helmet) as I don't play Warmachine so it doesn't make me twitchy crossing the gaming streams :P

17/05/2015: Link updated because Photobucket hates people who reorganise their folders.
Edited by nerodine, 17 May 2015, 07:27 PM.

Brambleten
Member Avatar
The Red Hood
For a first figure in four years she is looking pretty good :)

I like the metallics, there is a nice variation in them across the figure. The spear blade is particularly cool and the verdigris works as it is limited to the pistol

For glowy blue/green (and undead spirits) I've taken to the GW Technical Nihilakh Oxide (basically verdigris in a wash) over a light grey followed by blue or green inks/washes, depending on which way you want to go.

What else have you got in the pipeline?

Keravin
Member Avatar
Go post in someone's topic that you normally wouldn't
Welcome back and the metals look good. I don't usually see that version of P Haley. So used to the other one.

nerodine
Member Avatar
Second Lieutenant
Thanks for the comments excellent people.

@Brambleton - This Citadel technical range is totally unknown to me, but looks potentially nifty. Interesting to see them move out into this effects range. For verdigris I've normally used either Scurf Green or Sick Green then Falcon Turqoise (Vallejo Game Color range).

@Keravin - Just looked and found the Captain Haley alternate and Major Haley version with the super whooshy cloak, and that looks seriously cool. Wasn't aware of the other versions, so thanks for the heads up.

Next up? I found the Blood Angel objective marker from Space Hulk in the to-do pile, so that could be good fun!

nerodine
Member Avatar
Second Lieutenant
Finally sat down and start putting paint on figure again. Obviously quite WIP while I work out what to do with it :D

Posted Image

Don't like the edge highlighting on new Blood Angels and prefer the older soft orange gradient, so may try and incorporate that. Not too worried about being able to repeat a technique on other Termies as the other figures from the Space Hulk were mid-conversion to be Space Wolf Terminators. But can I find them since moving house? Noooo ...

Alongside this, I finally childproofed my paint collection by buying a decent toolbox then fitting it out with wooden inserts and pluck foam. Luxury. Daddy's little angels aren't going to be meddling with this any time soon.

Posted Image

03/05/2015: Link updated because Photobucket hates people who reorganise their folders.
Edited by nerodine, 3 May 2015, 05:51 PM.

nerodine
Member Avatar
Second Lieutenant
Well that escalated quickly. Space Hulk objective marker finished already. The base is simply a placeholder to put the figure on for a photograph. In-game it won't have a base - or I may use one an industrial bases from the CMON Kickstarter whenever they arrive.

Posted Image

Usually I wouldn't bother with a rear shot, but the back of the chair is so wonderfully detailed.

Posted Image

Camera shots magnify all your flaws in the most wonderful way. Obviously I'd swear the red/orange layering was flawless IRL, but patently that's not the case ;) Still playing with metallics, but feel like I have a little more control of them - although the verdigris did get a little out of hand, but no matter! All the wiring on the termie is dull greys/blacks as the reds and purples were already quite a barrage of colour.

Next up? Well I've started on a couple of scouts for my old Space Wolf army ...

Posted Image

Mmm, brown!

03/05/2015: Link updated because Photobucket hates people who reorganise their folders.
Edited by nerodine, 17 May 2015, 07:27 PM.

nerodine
Member Avatar
Second Lieutenant
Mojo clearly not running this week. Trying to work out how easy it is to paint up troop types with minimal highlights and using washes. Coupled with a somewhat slapdash paintjob, darned if I can take a half-decent photograph this evening. But anyway, here's the work in progress so far ...

Posted Image

Upsides - legs, utility bags and colour choices. Downsides - many! Tried to dampen down the metallics as it felt appropriate to a scout force, but they look awfully shiny in the above photo and not quite sure what's going on with the sword now. Still, this is why we have things in progress.

Edited by nerodine, 3 May 2015, 05:50 PM.

# dean
Member Avatar
Grandmaster of Librarians
I am liking the combat knife. How did you do that? Just washes? I like the mud wash on metal, dulls it down a bit and gives it an oily look. Black will do it too but too much black gets into sooty.

Great work on the Objective. Dont worry about the camera, the mini is usually larger than life size so the boo boos usually are too.

nerodine
Member Avatar
Second Lieutenant
dean
10 Feb 2015, 01:22 AM
I am liking the combat knife. How did you do that? Just washes? I like the mud wash on metal, dulls it down a bit and gives it an oily look. Black will do it too but too much black gets into sooty.
Cheers, Dean! Knife is Vallejo Gunmetal then I dragged Scarlett Blood and Bloody Red over the top. The edge was drybrushed with Chainmail Silver but that's now a little too bright along the edge, so I think you're re right that something like Devlan Mud will see action to dampen it down a little, and fit with the more muted palette I was aiming for.

nerodine
Member Avatar
Second Lieutenant
Still waiting for my mojo to return on the Space Wolf scouts, so picked another random figure to paint. It's a Cthulhu turn marker for Arkham Horror and a mini version (purpose tbc).

Posted Image

I mulled stealing trying to recreate the colouring from the excellent Ben Templesmith's Wormwood: Gentleman Corpse graphic novels, but then realised it could also double as an amusing genestealer patriarch turn marker for Space Hulk, and lo the palette was set ...

Posted Image

Progress is good, and it feels like he's already going in the right direction. This has also gotten the juices going for finally tackling the Space Hulk genestealers sitting in another box that I've sorely neglected for a few years. Well, maybe.

Edited by nerodine, 3 May 2015, 05:49 PM.

nerodine
Member Avatar
Second Lieutenant
Face and head done, ditto for his mini-me. Vallejo Alien Purple, washed recesses with Leviathan Purple, more Alien Purple highlighted with Alien Purple/Dead White then everything dampened down with Ogryn Flesh wash.

Posted Image

Claws basecoated while I decide what to do about the skin.

Now I've spent time with the fine gentleman, the pose feels like an odd one. You wouldn't expect the great Cthulhu to be hunched over like he's on a portable latreen. Either way, I can practically hear him mumbling under his tentacles as a cross between Mr Burns and Zoidberg.

Edited by nerodine, 3 May 2015, 05:40 PM.

# Marovian
Member Avatar
Ginger Law Enforcer
That mini in those colours disturbs me. However, I think it's coming along well.

☺Easy E
Member Avatar
Captain
The Blood Angels objective marker looks so sad. Cheer up fella! Always look on the bright side of life!

nerodine
Member Avatar
Second Lieutenant
Easy E

The Blood Angels objective marker looks so sad. Cheer up fella! Always look on the bright side of life!

Solo reconaissance is pretty sad,
Genestealers can really make you mad,
Hormagaunts just make you swear and curse

He's a miserable pile of bones, and that's a fact!

Marovian

That mini in those colours disturbs me. However, I think it's coming along well.

Hah! Cheers on both counts :D

No progress in the last two weeks due to real life getting in the way, but finally pulled the paints out again only to discover ... Games Workshop no longer make Devlan Mud. What kind of madness is this? Is there a like-for-like equivalent in their new Shade range, and is that range any good - or even *gasp* a non-GW equivalent that's worth picking up?

Xepher
Member Avatar
Second Lieutenant
Nice work, termi objective looks good, wonder if i will ever get round to painting all the contents, only just get round to completing a combat squad of termis

Agrax earthshade is the GW equivalent though think there may be a sight difference, army painter strong tone apparently is similar as is Vallejo umber wash but apparently flow slightly differently

Brambleten
Member Avatar
The Red Hood
There will be a slight difference between Agrax Earthshade and Devlan Mud, probably with Agrax being slightly more shiny if my experiences with Nuln Oil (the replacement for Badab Black) are anything to go by. Other than that you'll get the same coverage and depth.

nerodine
Member Avatar
Second Lieutenant
I go away for work and come back to find Terry Pratchett died and Liverpool appear to be invincible in the league. Only one of these things pleases me.

Xepher

wonder if i will ever get round to painting all the contents, only just get round to completing a combat squad of termis

Please do! If they end up even half as nice as your lovely Eldar, that'll be a real treat.

Thanks for the advice on the shades, gents. I'll pick up Nuln and Agrax at some point and see how I get on.

Anyway! Cthulhu Patriarch Genestealer Bob is finally finished up, along with mini-Bob.

Posted Image

Dropped the tripod for this shot and took it from workbench level against the black backdrop or it's hard to get the sinister browline. Opted not to paint black into the recesses, but leave those in blue and highlight up instead. More fiddling with techniques on the highlighting and almost got to a happy place with the layering, so hopefully a bit of progress on the next one to improve further. His mini-me was a cheeky drybrush with the highlight colour and shade with Leviathan Purple on the skin.

Think the wet palette is starting to make sense too. I've got to learn to be less prissy about letting paints mix into each other and loosen up on control, it sort of naturally yields the colour mixes I want for the highlights - but it pains my orderly soul to watch all the colours just muddle into each other. Quite good fun to play with, mind.

Next up? Well, it is OMAM Green Month and then I had a nostalgic hankering and picked up this box on eBay ...

Posted Image

Very, very excited. Fond memories of buying this at release for probably the princely sum of 10. Delighted to snaffle it as a bargain with everything mint. Before diving in and ruining everything, I've pulled a few low grade Orkses and sneaky Gretchin from the archive to practice on ...

Posted Image

Edited by nerodine, 17 May 2015, 07:29 PM.

☺Easy E
Member Avatar
Captain
That is an old skool box of orks.

nerodine
Member Avatar
Second Lieutenant
Easy E
17 Mar 2015, 12:52 AM
That is an old skool box of orks.
Indeed it is! There's a thread on here about favourite old figures that got me quite wistful, and next thing I know there's a 1991 issued box of Orks in my hands. Good times.

nerodine
Member Avatar
Second Lieutenant
Found a few more Gretchin in the storage boxes, so may as well be over-enthusiastic, prime the lot of them in a single go and then regret this terrible, terrible decision at a later point.

Posted Image

With that said, there's something very satisfying amount seeing a whole bunch of little green men scuttling over the desk.

Posted Image

Until the dawning realisation that I have no idea when they'll all actually get painted. But we'll save that headache for another post next week.

Edited by nerodine, 3 May 2015, 05:43 PM.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · General Project Logs · Next Topic »