Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
apoteos's WIP
Topic Started: 9 Oct 2014, 09:15 PM (41,211 Views)
apoteos
Member Avatar
Warrant Officer First Class
Hello everyone,

After having seen some of the amazing work done in the inq28 scene (here and elsewhere) I decided to take up the hobby again after several years of hiatus. I've been mostly lurking these forums for the past year but thought I might finally share some stuff I've been working on. First up is a True Scale Space Marine of an as of yet undecided chapter

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Materials used are styrene tubing/sheet, milliput and procreate putty. Some sort of loincloth/pelt will be added but I'm struggling with the final details, mainly because I can't make up my mind about the chapter. Feedback appreciated.

KrautScientist
Member Avatar
Lieutenant
Whoa, and another fresh face! Welcome to the forum!

The Marine is looking excellent. Coming up with truescale Astartes that look right takes quite some doing (as I can attest from my own, painful experience), and you really nailed it. Amazing job!

Looking forward to your next update! :)

Wuulfman
Sergeant
Nice work mate, liking the True scale work! very inspiring

weirdingway
Very impressive truescaling! My favorite part is the fancy knee joints.

rourke
Corporal
Awesome pose on the marine, welcome to the bunker from one newbie to another!

looking forward to seeing some more

Malika
Member Avatar
All I can say is that the marine looks impressive!

You said you didn't know yet from which Chapter he will be. But do you have any preferences or anything yet? :)

apoteos
Member Avatar
Thanks for the comments! I'm going to try to get some of my other stuff posted soon but getting good shots with the older model iPhone is somewhat tricky.

@Malika
After much pondering I've decided for the Mortifactors chapter. Blood Angels was my original idea but since they are so iconic of the 40k universe it also felt somewhat safe. I envision him as a combination of a feral warrior and a walking charnel house. I'm in the process of adding the final details such as pelts and skulls and I also got some great bits from the flagellant and ghoul sprue that I'll try to incorporate.

Nordic
Member Avatar
Welcome to the bunker!

Great work on the true scaling. The black/grey and bone of the mortifactors look great. Go for it!

Looking forward to the next update!

Jeff Vader
Member Avatar
Second Lieutenant
Welcome to the bunker!

Very impressive truescale marine there apoteos! It truly looks like a normal marine sized up - you've really managed to maintain the correct proportions. Great job!

Mortifactors sounds like a stellar choice by the way.

Alexander
Member Avatar
Second Lieutenant
Hey I missed this. Welcome!

The marine is smashing (pun intended)

apoteos
Member Avatar
I think this is the final version before the painting stage. Detailing was based off of the idea of him being a brother of the Mortifactors chapter, subconsciously though I think a lot was inspired by Spiky Rat Pack's Red Corsair Marine, a lot of the bits are the same. Some details are references to the cover art of the 3rd edition box such as the skull on the spike and the pelt around his waist.

Having finished the build of the model I think I will go back to the original idea of a Blood Angels marine, with all the detailing I feel that I need a uniform scheme to tie it together. Also, I couldn't resist the idea of a yellow helmet so the bare head had to go.

I would very much appreciate any feedback and critique.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Edited by apoteos, 4 Nov 2014, 05:21 PM.

euansmith
Member Avatar
Major
Peachy!

Jeff Vader
Member Avatar
Second Lieutenant
It looks beautiful. Easily one of the most successful truescaling projects I've ever seen.

However I'd strongly recommend going back to the bare head - it simply worked better than the helmet. It tied the model together and made it look much more iconic and characterful.

If you're dead set on using the helmet, turn it to his left to match the bare heads position. It made the pose much stronger when he was along the same line as the hammer arm.

My five cents...
Edited by Jeff Vader, 4 Nov 2014, 07:47 PM.

RADU LYKAN
Lieutenant
he looks a bit puny compared to my own masculine physique but for a regular marine he does look imposing :)
i agree with jeff that the bare head and different angle worked to create a better pose

Bruticus
Member Avatar
Second Lieutenant
Really excellent. The work done on the legs really sets it apart. I think the extra effort pays off, although I for one would never be bothered. Good use of bits too, nothing huge and plastic. I agree with Jeff about turning the head, but I think a helmeted head is fine. Maybe one with a bit more detail or something? I love BA with yellow helmets, great idea. You could possibly use a bare head and have the helmet mag-locked to his armour though, another option.

If he is a BA shouldn't he have some BA iconography somewhere? At the moment I would have guessed space wolf judging by the pelt.

apoteos
Member Avatar
Thanks for the feedback guys, appreciate it. You're probably right about the positioning of the head, although I think the difference between the two versions is smaller than it seems. I'm quite sure that I'l stick to the helmeted version in the end, to my mind it's the true 'face' of a Space Marine.
@Bruticus
Good point about iconography, had I done this from the beginning I would probably have sculpted a blood drop instead of a skull on his chest eagle. On the other hand, I feel that a lot of the sculpted iconography on the plastic kits are done mosly to alleivate painters of the difficulty of freehand painting and/or transfers.

Finally, I think it's high time the Wolves lost their monopoly on pelts! A lot of Space Marines are after all recruited from barbarian feral worlds. It's also as I wrote earlier a little nod to the Black Templar with a pelt on the 3rd ed box.
Edited by apoteos, 5 Nov 2014, 03:16 PM.

shingouki
Corporal
Hell yeah that's cool.

apoteos
Member Avatar
After having completed the True Scale Marine, a True scale terminator was the obvious next step, Migsula proved that the model could be used as a base. Still very early WIP obviously, most of the Horus specific detail will be removed and BA iconography will be sculpted in its stead. I might need to beef up the shoulder pads somewhat to balance things, let me know what you think.

The little mutie was inspired by Axiom's fantastic little Scrat conversion. I removed the claws which will be resculpted and his bald spot will be somewhat covered up to suggest that his hair loss is due to radiation rather than ageing.

Not much to say about the missionary, the barrel was replaced because I felt that the original one was too orky, the arm is from the Cadian flamer. I noted afterwards that all the bits I've added are from Brian Nelson sculpts, funny how that works out.

Posted Image
Edited by apoteos, 2 Dec 2014, 10:03 PM.

weirdingway
Very cool! Horus does make for and excellent terminator, and it's great seeing the classic terminator helmet. I agree that the shoulders need some more bulk, but I really like the height you've placed them at. The arms could *maybe* stand to be a bit longer (sliced and extended at the elbows?), but that would probably make less anatomic sense.

The other guys look great too; really can't go wrong with brian nelson sculpts. I also see some lovely hybrids lurking in the distance; will they be converted or preserved intact?

apoteos
Member Avatar
Thanks! I might go shopping for a helmet from the Deathwing kit. The snout on them is somewhat shorter and resembles the old swivel-waist 2nd ed versions, plus the fact that they have the grills on the sides. The shoulders will definitely be beefed up, but I don't think I'll do anything about the length of the arms. In a way I like the awkwardness of the relatively stubby arms, it reminds me of a deep sea diving suit.
Posted Image

Just some slight conversion work on the genestealer hybrids. The sculpts are fantastic, although somewhat two-dimensional like a lot of minis of that era. I shaved off the fur from a couple of skaven arms and will sculpt some carapace to make them look the part.
Posted Image

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · INQ28 Painting & Modelling · Next Topic »