Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Hallakhan's Guard Army; Imperial guard army progression log
Topic Started: 28 Jul 2014, 11:22 PM (4,017 Views)
Hallakhan
Corporal
Hello all, this is the first time I've done an army progression log so please bare with me. I started playing 40k about 8 years ago but took a break for about 4 years and started up again last year, I've always been an IG player and over time my army has slowly grown and my painting and modelling skills have slowly improved (as you may see in this log). I've always been a firm believer that the majority of standard GW models are a little basic and feel compelled to add my own little touch to my models, I've done this by using many FW components and a running theme throughout my army which brings me to my army's fluff.

I'm still undecided on the name for my army but the theme that I've tailored them around has basically been a cities of death/highland rangers army with colour schemes to match. I've always imagined them as a predominantly airborne force paired with an array of ground forces. I was inspired by the Macharian Crusade books written by William King which follows the life of guardsman Leo Lemuel as he progresses from a Baneblade tank driver, to part of a city garrison and on to the personal bodyguard of the Lord Commander Solar Macharius himself.

The entire force totals around 3000 points as an army list but from this I have devised several different, smaller lists that add up to 1000 points, 1500 points, 1850 points and 2000 points which I use far more frequently. I mostly play against a friend of mine who plays Tau and although I lose to him a lot still really enjoy playing 40k.

The army is pretty much always a work in progress hence the title, I'm constantly adding new units, converting new models, repainting or re-touching existing models as well as making loads of new terrain for different scenarios which I'll also be showcasing here.

Shown below are a few of the pictures of my army I have on my computer I will be posting more soon once I've done some more photography but so far we have...

My converted rough rider bikers that are in need of repainting:
Posted Image

My baneblade that needs touching up in a lot of places (paint scheme inspired by the cover art from the white dwarf edition from the original apocalypse release):
Posted Image

My armoured sentinel with lascannon:
Posted Image

The master vox from my command squad:
Posted Image

The following are some converted models from a vet squad using FW parts (these guys are painted now but I'll post those pics later):
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

This last guy is my character recreation of the previously mentioned Leo Lemuel from the novels I read (also now painted, more pics on the way):
Posted Image
Posted Image

More pics to come of the rest of my force, I'm particularly looking forward to showing my 75% completed valkyrie painted like a gryphon and my heavy weapons teams, both of whom have earned a lot of victory points in the games I've played. I've got pleanty of time at the moment to finish lots of unfinished painting which should keep me posting regularly, I'll try and post at least twice a week, I'm looking forward to any feedback on what I've posted so far and welcome any suggestions for names to my army.

# dean
Member Avatar
Grandmaster of Librarians
First off, Welcome to the bunker, lets go through the checklist...

Guard, check
Baneblade, Check
Hostile Environment gear, Check

You will fit right in.

One sandwich short
Corporal
Really like your bike conversions. Building a baneblade as I type. I look forward to seeing some more pictures of your army.

Hallakhan
Corporal
Haha thanks dean and one sandwich short I've seen your guard army too and I really like the look of the masks/balaclavas, I toyed around with the idea of making some bandana/western style masks similar to those for a tallarn conversion, I'll take some pics of those later. for now I have a few more pics of the rest of my army.

First off, some finished models...

This is my Master of the Fleet:
Posted Image
Posted Image

My seargeant bastonne from the last IG codex (very useful for riptide hunting because of his bring it down order):
Posted Image
Posted Image

This medic has saved my warlord over a dozen times in games I've played:
Posted Image
Posted Image

Although this vet sergeant has died a few times in battle his leadership 8 has saved his squad from retreating many times (he needs repainting in a few places but I'll get round to it soon enough):
Posted Image
Posted Image

This is from the cover of the october 2007 issue of white dwarf from when apocalypse was released, it was the inspiration for the colour scheme on my baneblade:
Posted Image

Next up are some 80-90% completed models from my vet squads, Some were pictured unpainted earlier:
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Currently on the painting table are my astropath and primaris psyker as well as another vet sergeant:
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

I've been slowly painting this valkyrie bit by bit for about a year now and it still isn't finished. It's one of my continuous WIP's but he's how it looks so far:
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

And finally my converted basilisk using the hellhammer cannon from the original baneblade set and some electrical wire attached using a filed out grenade launcher clip:
Posted Image
Posted Image

# dean
Member Avatar
Grandmaster of Librarians
Classic Codex Grey... Back in my day all Guard were codex grey, then they made the separate Regiment looks...

Have you had a look through Digit's Drogan project? Seems to be similar to what you are trying:
http://s3.zetaboards.com/The_Ammobunker/topic/7018571/391/#new

Just for inspiration you understand... Your painting is pretty good already.
Edited by dean, 29 Jul 2014, 02:50 PM.

Hallakhan
Corporal
Digit's project is how I discovered this forum actually, I've been making the some of the tents from this tutorial he made http://s3.zetaboards.com/The_Ammobunker/topic/178022/3/

I've seen his army too and they look really great, I'm a big fan of the winter coats he adds to his models, he has some really original ideas.

One sandwich short
Corporal
The Valkyrie is awesome! How did you start it off? Did you draw the design in pencil first or did you just go for it? I have only just started playing Guard any tips on how to play them or what works for you? You have inspired me to get an up date done at the weekend.

Hallakhan
Corporal
I'm glad I could inspire! For the Valkyrie I just went for it and started with one side of the head, tweaking it until I got it right then copied it on the other side, then I did the same with the wings. I've been working on it for an incredibly long time but it has worked fantastically for me in games with the multiple rocket pods against infantry and dropping melta vets in against tanks. But it isn't nearly as good as the Valkyrie I was inspired by on another forum here http://www.dakkadakka.com/gallery/66705-.html

As far as tips for how to play guard, I mainly play against my friend who has Tau so I'm used to building a list to tackle his but I'll go through my favourite units for each FOC slot.

HQ: I like to take regimental advisers in order to limit the Tau's reserve rolls and hit hard against infantry and suits with the orbital bombardment. I always take a medic in the same squad as my warlord as it has saved him over a dozen times.

Troops: Vet squads are really useful for their BS4 shooting especially when they have Lascannons. I've also found sniper's to be incredibly underestimated and under-used and managed to take out some really key units on the opposition in the past using them in a vet squad in some ruins or a building where they can benefit from the cover.

Elites: Deepstriking Tempestus Scions is great for tank hunting if you run them with a hot shot volley gun and a plasma gun.

Fast Attack: As mentioned the Valkyrie is quite useful, many people prefer the vendetta but I've found the multiple rocket pods particularly effective at taking out ethereals and firewarriors. The ability to carry a squad of 12 is really useful for guard. But my armoured sentinel with Lascannon has been useful for objective clearing and crisis suit kills.

Heavy Support:
Lot's of people like the new maticore and wyvern but I've had a lot of success with a basilisk against Tau as it is one of my only units that can outrange them and has never been taken down. I have recently put together a hydra which I have yet to try in a game but I think the 4 twin-linked shots from the autocannons will be useful against infantry and Tau suits as well.

This is what has worked for me from experience and not necessarily the best but what I would recommend. I'd love to see some pics from a fellow guardsman of your update when you get round to it!

# Digits
Member Avatar
Shadowkin
Good start here chap. As mentioned, I also like the valk scheme...pretty damned cool!

As for a name, you will live with it so you need to get it right.

Make it something punchy. Not too long. Have you looked at all the 40k maps in the various books? Find a system perhaps and go from there?

Hallakhan
Corporal
Thanks Digits! that means a lot, I'm a massive fan of your guard, I'm currently following the tutorial you made for the tent terrain pieces.

I've been looking through the past 3 guard codexes for name ideas but so far my favourite has been the force from the William King macharian crusade books who fought on Karsk IV and share the same colour scheme as my infantry.

The lore for that force matches up very nicely with my army especially as I plan to ally them with space wolves but I wanted to come up with something more original, perhaps a parallel force from the Macharian Crusade. As far as the number for the force I was thinking 501st after the star wars battlefront games which I spent a lot of time playing when I was younger.

I'm just not sure if the 'Karsk IV 501st' is a good enough name for my army, thoughts?

# Digits
Member Avatar
Shadowkin
Karsk 501st works better?

Looking forward to the tent....
Edited by Digits, 29 Jul 2014, 11:47 PM.

Hallakhan
Corporal
Karsk 501st definitely sounds better my only issue with the Karsk system is the lore of the worlds themselves. In the books they're described as being quite barren with lava fields whereas I had in mind a cold City/highland theme for the army.

Although having said that these are entire planets that we're talking about so there's no reason why a setting like that shouldn't be present somewhere else in the system.

The other options I had in mind were Lucius where the scout warhound titans and machrius class super heavy tanks are forged (two units i'm hoping to add to my army once I've finished painting what I've got) or Tanith where Gaunt's ghosts are from.

# Digits
Member Avatar
Shadowkin
Lava fields do not necessarily mean it isn't cold fella.

And sorry, but you can't call them Tanith.......completely wrong.
Edited by Digits, 30 Jul 2014, 06:34 PM.

Matyilinko
Member Avatar
Captain
Welcome aboard!

Nice to see that theres always new IG collectors around. Without your kind, our secret society (The Chaos) never could be that effective. :D

The valkyrie free hand looks ace! ;)

Keep em coming!

Out.

tommyhatch
Member Avatar
Warrant Officer Second Class
Oh that freehand on the Valk is nuts, loving it.

Chartist Captain
Member Avatar
Sergeant
Great painting and I like that you collect and use all the different units the guard have to offer! Good luck in your battles against the Tau!

Hallakhan
Corporal
Time for an update. There's still a lot of PIP and WIP at the moment but I have one finished Lord Commissar and one PIP schola progenium commissar photographed as well as a hydra and vanquisher which still need priming (pics below).

I still haven't made any final decisions on the origins of the army's fluff, I'm torn between Karsk and Lucius for the world that they're from.

Many thanks for the positive feedback on the valkyrie, I'll admit I was a little nervous about showing it (especially unfinished) as it's not much compared to my inspiration for it, link above iirc.

Anyway here goes, this is my Lord Commissar, he took out a Tau commander and it's squad single handedly in single combat in one game so he's a complete badass.

Posted Image
Posted Image

Here's my Schola Progenium commissar, he still needs a few finishing touches (like the plasma pistol) and basing but otherwise he's mostly finished.

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Almost finished putting together a hydra, still need to put the crew together though.

Posted Image

This is my vanquisher for tank and monstrous creature hunting, I might put some sandbags on it and some equipment at the back, thoughts?

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

# Digits
Member Avatar
Shadowkin
You have to ask? This is the Ammobunker. Any tank WITHOUT stowage or sandbags would be.....well......naked!

☺Ash
Member Avatar
Lieutenant
There is always room for stowage...
Great to see more IG, I particularly like the Commissar with the Plasma pistol (bloke with the chains), very cool looking mini.

Heroka Vendile
Corporal
nice stuff. I'm guessing the upside down left multimelta sponson on the vanquisher was a mistake you didn't notice till it was too late?

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · Science Fiction Project Logs · Next Topic »