Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
3d modeling bits; for 3d printing
Topic Started: 1 Oct 2013, 08:29 AM (6,555 Views)
Malika
Member Avatar
Warrant Officer First Class
For a while now I've been working on some ships, as you can see here. Apparently the lovely fellows over at Resin Addicts liked it so much that I got a few offers in to have them produce it, I also managed to get a possible 3d modelling commission out of it.

However, high quality 3d printing is expensive. Shapeways doesn't offer the quality I need for this project. This means I have to go elsewhere, which means the rates go up. In order to finance this I'm planning on making separate bits that could either be sold through Shapeways or whatever party wants to print/cast the models. I know companies such as Chapterhouse, MaxMini, Kromlech and so on are quite successful with their sales of bits which are compatible with other stuff in the market. The whole =I=munda craze has inspired me, and whilst I'm not that great a modeller/painter, I do want to offer my support in some way...

Here the first of many. It's still a WIP, more details need to be added to it. The blade is a separate part by the way.

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Malika
Member Avatar
By the way, a small update on the weapon:
Posted Image

And I quickly put this together:
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Malika
Member Avatar
Spinning clockwise or counter-clockwise, there will be a lot of feedback/bouncing, when the weapon hits its target. So I decided to go for two blades that spin in opposite directions, see below.

Posted Image

I've tried to make a double blade, and made four versions. At the moment I'm favouring C or D, thing is that it does make the weapon very wide, which will be a bit of a challenge to fix (counter weight, etc).

This is kinda where I need your feedback? Which of these four should I go for?

RADU LYKAN
Lieutenant
option a would be best, much bulkier and as you say, it would need serious counter balancing

Malika
Member Avatar
So I found my really old photobucket account with all sorts of ships I designed in the past. I might look into them again, tweak them a bit and put them up on Shapeways. Let me know waht you think! :)

Imperial Warpike:
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Dagger Class Corvette:
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Harbinger battleship:
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Broadside Carrier:
Posted Image
Posted Image

The Warpike will be altered a bit to have larger weapon batteries instead of all those small broadside turrets. I'll probably shrink the ship somewhat so it can stand in as a Dauntless Light Cruiser.

The dagger will need some heavy modification, but then it will become a destroyer, or maybe even something smaller.

The Harbinger will have more details added, maybe a few turrets on top, making it a larger transport ship.

The Broadside Carrier will need to be widened up, and then shrunk, to make it a nice alternative for the Defiant Light Cruiser.

☺Easy E
Member Avatar
Captain
Nice.

For someone new to this whole 3D printing scene, where would you recommend they start in learnign how to make the template to begin with?

Malika
Member Avatar
@Easy E: Well, I'm using Sketchup to make the models, then using a CADspan plugin, I convert the Sketchup file to an .stl file. Plan is to have this then printed (and sold) at Shapeways.

Most modelers I've encountered use other software though, stuff like Rhino, Blender, AutoCAD, etc. SketchUp is the most basis, and easiest, program to use. But it does have its limits.

In the meanwhile...

Sadly enough I've lost the original sketchup files of my old ships, so they won't be coming out anymore :(

But...it enabled me to make new ones!

After a couple of hours I've got the front part of the ship ready. Now I need to do the engine, bridge and that sort of thing.

Posted Image

Plan is that this fellow will be a light cruiser, comparable to the Defiant Class Light Cruiser from BFG. But I'll tweak it slightly more to stay on the safe side. But I think the design so far is original enough. Expect it on Shapeways in the coming days/weeks. (unless somebody would be interested in casting it...)

☺Easy E
Member Avatar
Captain
Thanks.

Also, I really liked the old Harbinger you made.

The new prows are cool too.

Malika
Member Avatar
I definitely want to recreate the Harbinger, add some more BFG like details to it, and basically turn it into a large transporter. :)
Thanks dude! I hope the printing will be able to handle the details. That's why some of them seem slightly bigger (like those studs).

In the meantime I've updated the design slight to match the Imperial Warpike. Also to move it slightly away from being too clearly GW.

Posted Image
Edited by Malika, 5 Oct 2013, 06:33 PM.

Malika
Member Avatar
Teaser...

Posted Image

Malika
Member Avatar
Almost done...

Posted Image

☺Easy E
Member Avatar
Captain
Good progress!

Malika
Member Avatar
Finished!

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image
Look what else is ready...

Posted Image

Posted Image
Edited by Malika, 8 Oct 2013, 04:30 PM.

Malika
Member Avatar
Look who just became available...

# Marovian
Member Avatar
Ginger Law Enforcer
Some interesting work here, like the ships in particular.

Malika
Member Avatar
Teaser for the next ship:
Posted Image
Calyptra Fighters are ready!
Posted Image
Posted Image

You can get them here.
Edited by Malika, 10 Oct 2013, 07:46 PM.

☺Easy E
Member Avatar
Captain
Awesome. That is why I want to learn how to do this!

Do you have any "printed" models to show us the end results?
Edited by Easy E, 11 Oct 2013, 05:07 PM.

Malika
Member Avatar
Not yet, but two people ordered the Martinet. So hopefully they'll post pictures in the coming weeks. :)

In the meantime, I started working on something for the Imperials to shoot at:
Posted Image

Malika
Member Avatar
And now who else is ready?

Posted Image
Posted Image

Malika
Member Avatar
Posted Image

Now with some teeth and more stuff on it. The left side (minus front head) is almost done. The right side will get a similar threatment, but it will also be where the forward pointing weapons are mounted on.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · General Project Logs · Next Topic »