Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
A wild hive fleet appears! (Tyranids); WiP Tyranids
Topic Started: 21 Sep 2012, 07:38 AM (5,877 Views)
KingWrex
Corporal
Here we go,
my currently unnamed hive fleet begins! I suppose I shall start with an army list and where I hope to get by the end of this, although the sky is the limit. My main thing is to fill this army with conversions and really test both my painting skills and my modeling skills, I want an army I can really be proud of and throw down at a tournament and intimidate people just by placing the army on the table.

Posted Image

~2250~
HQ:

Hive Tyrant: Wings, toxin sacs, TL devourers w/ BL worms, Hive Commander [280]
(Commander) Tervigon: Toxin Sacs, Adrenal Glands, Catalyst [195]

Troops:

Termagaunt (13) [65]
Termagaunt (13) [65]
Devgaunt (20): Mycetic Spore, Barbed Strangler [255]
Devgaunt (20): Mycetic Spore, Barbed Strangler [255]
Genestealer Brood (10): Toxin Sacs, Broodlord [216]
Genestealer Brood (10): Toxin Sacs, Broodlord [216]

Elite:
Hive Guard (2) [100]

Fast:
Gargoyle (16) [96]

Heavy:
Trygon Prime: Toxin Sacs [250]
Trygon Prime: Toxin Sacs [250]

My Flyrant!
I've always loved the 3rd edition hive tyrant and the way it looks like a Xenomorph queen so to mix old and new I threw the Trygon head onto the hive tyrant and I think it is really working, even with out the lower mandible at the moment.
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Trygon conversion!
This is a Carnifex kit and a Trygon kit merged together, as you will see through out the conversions in this post both the Carnifex and Trygon kits go a long way and I constantly use parts from them in the other models. There is more green stuff work to be done on this one, and i need to decide how I am going to represent his containment spines
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Zoanthrope conversion!
This is a Warrior, pink foam, green stuff and various Trygon bits. After I made the Tervigon I was interested in pursuing the spider leg look for most of my models, I think the way I have done it here is a bit more interesting than the floating variant.
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

and Last but not least, my Tervigon!
this guy is where I started converting my Tyranids, I made him before the Tervigon/Tyrannofex kit came out and honestly I think my version is cooler (and less expensive :D). This is a Carnifex head, Trygon Torso and a pingpong ball (with those weird terrain bits that come in the starter kit for a birthing canal) I also glued oblong marbles to the pingpong ball to try and show that the tervigon is bursting at the seams with eggs. (it usually doubles on the first round though :(. ) Also, the tooth picks on the front of him represent his cluster spines.

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Edited by KingWrex, 8 Sep 2013, 07:01 PM.

Shortsonfire79
Member Avatar
Lieutenant
Hey mate! Glad you could make it. Hopefully we can see all your great stuff all the time!

KingWrex
Corporal
Thanks Shortsonfire, i'm out of money right now but hopefully pretty soon I can purchase some paints and get cracking onto my nids, In the down time however I am going to be looking into getting a paint scheme for them so i've painted up a few options that I am thinking about, as a forwarning the terrain is already decided as being an ice planet.

perhaps yall could point me in the right direction as a lot of these choices look pretty good to me, also I will be experimenting with more Red orange and yellow over the next few days, but its going to take a little bit to paint them up.

Also, the gun color is not set in stone, the main thing i'm looking at here is the skin and carapace

File size is massive
http://imgur.com/EzEon
Posted Image

de Selby
Member Avatar
Second Lieutenant
Wahey! Cool conversions.

At the moment I am keen on the idea of similar body and carapace colours on nids, as very few animals are really two-tone. I like the 2nd one in on the bottom row, but with a bone devourer maybe? On the other hand if you are doing snoe maybe a blue-white one would be more practical.

What's the thinking behind the tervigon as HQ? Put all the 26 termagants into one big unit and you have space for a scoring tervigon in troops!

KingWrex
Corporal
Thank you, deSelby!

Well since this list is 2250, I have two force orgs to play with so merging the units is irrelevant. I want the Tervigon as HQ because of his survivability, with the Warlords death being an additional victory point in 6th ed I want a better chance of denying my opponent that point, his function would be to sit on objectives and spit out children. Making the Tervigon HQ also takes stress off of my hive tyrant as there would be added incentive to kill him if he was worth a victory point. In my opinion the Hive Tyrant is easily killed and I view him as a unit that is almost guaranteed to die, He does pay for him self in most cases, but making him the warlord kind of gives my opponent a victory point on a silver platter.

on a side note I almost always take strategic command traits.

44 Devgaunts!
awww yeah, based and ready to be primed.

Posted Image

updated Hive Tyrant

Posted Image

Spore Pods
I found these right after easter and picked up a few, they were about 3 dollars each and FILLED with candy. I plan on heavily converting them but the base shape and size is pretty much perfect
Posted Image

KingWrex
Corporal
Got 40 of the DevGaunts primed and base coated, I used the alien purple spray from army painter and then did a 50/50 mix of alien purple and emperors children pink and then another layer of emperors children pink on top. giving them a gradient from top to bottom of pink to purple.

I have some more paints coming, I am thinking about doing alien purple for the carapace and making the darks of the carapace a mix of black and purple and the lights a mix of red and purple. the gun and special effect bits will be blue, still not sure on what color I will want the face to be.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Rowly
Member Avatar
Corporal
That's a lot of pink gribblies!
Really interested to see what you manage with those toy egg things.
The Tyrant looks great - is that head a stock piece or some crazy, and very well done, conversion?

KingWrex
Corporal
Thanks Rowly, my Tyrants head is a trygon head, pretty much stock. I didn't like how tiny the 4/5th edition tyrant head was so I alluded back to the 3rd edition xenomorph head. (which means my trygons are going to be using carnifex heads.)

as far as the eggs are concerned I am excited to play with them, I recently found some pink foam and hope to play around with a few ideas, I think I may purchase some white sculpey epoxy i keep seeing around here as well as well.

# Old Guard
Member Avatar
Entertainment officer...Meet the gang cos the boys are here.....
big and nasty gribblys! good stuff, Come on, more! especially the big ones!

KingWrex
Corporal
been working on my mycetic spore so i drew up some quick sketches to get the mind flowing

Posted Image

and found something I liked based on the main shape, this is what I have so far but it is a little large... what do you guys think?

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

and I built another trygon

Posted Image

Posted Image

KingWrex
Corporal
it has been a while but I am on brake from school so the process has resumed!

these are the updated versions of my zoanthrope, I plan on having the brain bits be a glowy yellow
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

And ive been working on throwing together my own version of a hive guard
ive got some work in progress legs
Posted Image
Posted Image

and a potential body
Posted Image

and I have worked on the paint scheme! I think I am going to go towards the Zerg look seen in MR. JACK's concept art.
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Blissful Brushes
Member Avatar
Warrant Officer First Class
They're some lovely conversions I must say!

RADU LYKAN
Lieutenant
am especially liking those zoanthropes, i love how nids are so convertable.
you have any plans for an actual hive fleet with all the left overs?? (bfg)

# Digits
Member Avatar
Shadowkin
The zoans are really cool! I love the scuttling look of them.

Oldgrue
Member Avatar
Second Lieutenant
I'm with Digits on this - love the scrabbling over rocks feel

KingWrex
Corporal
Thank you everyone, I too enjoy converting these bad bugs.

Though I have not posted here in a while I have not forgotten about my nids, I have just slipped out of working on them in favor of school. Now that it is finals though there is some strange impulse in me to paint, most likely something to do with trying to escape the pressure of finals. also it's relaxing. I've got a 1500 point tournament coming up at the end of may and am going to try to paint enough bugs to place in it, my list is as follows.

HQ
Tervigon, Warlord (strategic traits) [200] Toxin sacs, dominion, catalyst, onslaught (Biomancy)
Hive Tyrant [295] x2 twin linked devourers, Toxin sacs, wings, hive commander, Leech essence, paroxysm (possibly biomancy)

TROOPS
Hormagaunt Brood x15 [120] Toxin sacs
Hormagaunt Brood x15 [120] Toxin sacs
Termagant Brood x16 [200] Devourers, Mycetic Spore

ELITE
The Doom of Malan'tai [130] Mycetic Spore
Ymgarl Genestealer Brood x8 [184]

HEAVY
Trygon Prime [250] Toxin Sacs, Prime

all total it is 1499, The list is highly aggressive, I chose the Tervigon as my warlord so I can attempt to deny them the Kill the Warlord VP (the tyrant will fly around shooting planes and most likely die), the Tervigon and his spawned unit will hang back on an objective or two while the rest of the army goes all in. I see my biggest weakness as being Flyer spam, but that is a problem for most tyranid players.

Here are some early pictures of the painting I have been doing, still WIP, I've ditched the blue talons in favor of bone, blue will be reserved for guns and tongues.

there are 40 devgants, 30 hormagaunts, and my doom, i'm saving the big bugs for last!

criticism is welcome!

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Edited by KingWrex, 6 May 2013, 07:36 AM.

dorns_fist
Member Avatar
Sergeant
Brilliant conversions, top notch infact. I know you've put up your list but will you be going bigger?

KingWrex
Corporal
@Dorns_Fist - Yes, this is just the beginning of the swarm, I think i've got somewhere around 3- 4k points of nids. Unfortunately they were one of my first armies and as such were pretty severely neglected. I am slowly recuperating. Beautiful crimson fists by the way, brilliant to paint them on wine corks, i'll have to try that.

dorns_fist
Member Avatar
Sergeant
4K worth of nids is ALOT...well depends if youve gone horde or for nidzilla.

Thanks man... I paint everything spepreraly, just the torso and legs that are glued together as a whole, would prob work really well for your nids as from my experience on painting them as a fully glued whole model there's so many bits you miss when you undercoat a nid.

I like the colour of these too forgot to say.

# Marovian
Member Avatar
Ginger Law Enforcer
Great looking nids and a lovely colour scheme.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · Science Fiction Project Logs · Next Topic »