Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
African Bush Wars, with the odd bit of something else
Topic Started: 23 Dec 2011, 09:16 PM (17,063 Views)
☺Ash
Member Avatar
Lieutenant
Not painted anything non 40k for quite a while, not seen anything that made me not want to paint more IG. Then, at Salute I picked up a couple of packs of very modern looking British infantry for Empress Miniatures. I dug them out of my bits box a couple of days ago, had a good look and the level of detail is insane. I had another go at MTP, looking at the pictures I think I messed up the size of the small light colour blotches but I can always redo . . .

Posted Image

Posted Image

Think I might try a thin wash/filter of olive green oil paint.
Edited by Ash, 7 Jul 2017, 02:26 PM.

# Old Guard
Member Avatar
Entertainment officer...Meet the gang cos the boys are here.....
Very Nice, both the models and your work on them. The issue with the blotches is not a big deal. At this scale its more a case of conveying the impression of the camo pattern rather than precise to scale. Only criticism? perhaps a bit dark on uniform. the Shade you have used would be Ok for the Cordura components (IE ammo pouches, back packs etc...) which will have harsher weathering which you have got just right, but the shirt and trousers could be a bit lighter.

They look damn good though.

☺Ash
Member Avatar
Lieutenant
Good feedback, cheers mate.
The uniforms are too dark, almost look wet. I used a sort of two tone effect on the main colours; the green, Vallejo Reflective green over Russian uniform, but I think I covered up too much of the lighter shade. The brown bits are also too big. The trouble I have is that the models are so small, it's only once I look at a photo that I can see what's gone wrong. I think I also need better lighting . . .

# Marovian
Member Avatar
Ginger Law Enforcer
Mate, they are superb. What colours did you use out of interest? I was thinking of using that camo for guard ever since I saw the new Ross kemp series.

☺Ash
Member Avatar
Lieutenant
I'll dig out the paints and add a list tomorrow . . .

☺Ash
Member Avatar
Lieutenant
Here's the Mk2 paintjob, more green, more squiggles. I think I went off a bit half cocked the first time as I've got used to trying Multicam and MTP is a lot greener, less sand tones. Next squad I'm going to try starting with a light green base instead.

Colours used were all Vallejo: Dark sand, Buff, Russian Uniform, English Uniform, Reflective green, German Cam. Black/Brown + flesh tones.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

I recon these guys would be fairly easy to do leg swap conversions on . . .
Edited by Ash, 7 Jul 2017, 02:51 PM.

Apex Predator
Member Avatar
Warrant Officer First Class
Those are very nice indeed. Great work.

☺Easy E
Member Avatar
Captain
I have three words for you.

Force-on-Force

Great game, and these would be perfect.

Valdez
Member Avatar
Lieutenant
They look so cool! I love the goggles/glasses on them:) Lovely work:)

☺Dave38x
Member Avatar
DubDubDubDubDub
Zomg - amazing work ash!

☺Ash
Member Avatar
Lieutenant
Came across these during a bit of random net surfing, Rhodesian RLI troopies and Selous Scouts. From a company called Under Fire Miniatures
Very nicely detailed minis (I even recognise some of the poses from pictures I've seen of actual soldiers), Only slight negative is they are 20mm, I'd have preferred 28mm as the camo pattern is hard enough at 1/35 scale!

I picked up RLI set 1, RLI 2 & Selous scout 2. Each set has a different number of minis (?) but by mixing them around and pinching one of the scout models I've got three sticks, each with a leader (radio/FN), 2 X FN and an MAG (one is an RPK with drum mag, but looks cool) plus three left over scouts (for doing test paintjobs)

Here's where they are at, cleaned, sanded, based and some primer (even managed to get my smallest drill-bit into the FN barrels:

Edited by Ash, 28 Aug 2017, 10:05 AM.

F!re$torm
Sergeant
Ash, check out Eureka Miniatures for 28mm Rhoddy stuff. They also make good ZANU / ZAPU models.

http://www.eurekaminusa.com/catalog.aspx?c=28mm%20Rhodesian%20War&cid=417&pageIndex=0

☺Ash
Member Avatar
Lieutenant
Cheers FireStorm, funnily enough I was looking at their stuff on this site:

http://www.fighting15sshop.co.uk/south-african-wars-778-c.asp

Thought it a tad pricey as eight blokes was going to be 20 quid + 4 for p&p. The 15 20mm blokes cost me 14 inc the p&p!
More to my liking was the ones I bought are later war with regard to kit and uniforms, so should be more fun to paint . . .

☺Ash
Member Avatar
Lieutenant
Done with these troopies for the moment, not bothered with dotting eyes etc yet (need smaller brush).
These are the smallest little blokes I've tried to paint yet

Rhodesian Light Infantry
Posted ImagePosted Image
Posted ImagePosted Image

Posted ImagePosted Image
Posted ImagePosted Image

Posted ImagePosted Image
Posted ImagePosted Image

Selous Scouts
Posted ImagePosted Image
Posted ImagePosted Image

Size comparison with IG grunt:

Posted Image
Edited by Ash, 7 Jul 2017, 02:53 PM.

F!re$torm
Sergeant
Wow, those are some rather large 15s. Looking very spiffy!

gun drone 3.0
Member Avatar
Lieutenant
I just ordered a book on the Rhodesian War then log on to AB and see this plog :D

☺Ash
Member Avatar
Lieutenant
Just took this as a size comparison and whilst it was up loading the bloody cat went for it. Not the shiney thing like any ordinary animal , but the little Selous Scout bloke.
Just had to perform a hot extraction from the mouth of moggie . . . one bent barrel and chipped paint on the hat brim . . .

Posted Image

15s . . ?
Edited by Ash, 9 Nov 2017, 06:40 AM.

F!re$torm
Sergeant
My bad, for some reason I had it in my mind that they were in 15mm not 20mm.

I've been very very interested in Force on Force + Rhodesian Bush War in 28mm and my interest is reaching "fine, I will start a project" level especially with HistoriCon on the horizon and the shelving of three projects.

☺Ash
Member Avatar
Lieutenant
These were small enough, I think 15mm would make my eyes go on strike!

Any idea which minis you are going to go for?
These blokes are perfect (other than size) for later '70's, got the airbourne overalls and combat vests. The Eureka 28mm stuff looks very nice but kit wise quite early '70's - and costs more. Tracking down 1/48 scale Alouette III models is going to be a hobby in itself!
Edited by Ash, 28 Aug 2017, 10:09 AM.

☺Ash
Member Avatar
Lieutenant
Start of the Air wing:

Posted Image
Edited by Ash, 28 Aug 2017, 10:11 AM.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · 'Real World' Project Logs · Next Topic »