Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
CXLVIIth Armoured Battlegroup; Laser-cut scratchbuilds, mostly Guard; latest; painting squads
Topic Started: 28 Nov 2011, 05:08 PM (28,798 Views)
CXLVII
Member Avatar
Warrant Officer Second Class
This is the tank that got me started many moons ago now. After buying a forgeworld vanquisher turret I had the kit turret over along with tracks, wheels and other spares so I thought why not make my own hull? The hull rear is a 1/35 scale T34 leftover and the lower hull front is the basilisk rear left from a chimera kit, surprisingly exactly the same width. The rest is plastic card cut by hand to a design of my own making and embellished by further spares.
Attached to this post:
Attachments: IMG_6781.jpg (249.69 KB)
Attachments: IMG_6783.jpg (279.82 KB)

# dean
Member Avatar
Grandmaster of Librarians
That isnt half bad. I think we might need to introduce you to washes but the build looks really good. Post up more.

Brother Vogt
Member Avatar
Captain
Liking the build. Suitably different and colour scheme is excellent.
Like Dean says, give it a wash and it'd look even better.
Look forward to more!

# the_great_gonzo
Member Avatar
Wg Cdr
It looks good mate but lazy people here don't so attachments, have a look at photobucket or flickr and post a direct link so we see the pic (like I said we are lazy!).

CXLVII
Member Avatar
Let's see if these open then!
Basilisk, uses extended Russ barrel leftover from old Demolisher kit. Wanted it to appear half chimera, half WW2 Stug3, it worked for me.
With regard painting I've been using Humbrol enamels for longer than I can remember, this encourages lots of drybrushing, never got into washes as that would have meant mixing types. You'll have to do a lot of online arm twisting to get me to change I'm afraid.
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Edited by CXLVII, 3 Sep 2017, 02:38 PM.

☺Easy E
Member Avatar
Captain
Looks solid.

Now, what I woudl do is take some black paint, and add it to some water, until it is a dark water, then slather the whole thing onto the tank with a tank brush. I don't know, maybe about 10 drops of paint into a quarter cup of water? It will dirty the whole thing up and dark line it in one go after the water dries away.

Cheap and easy.

CXLVII
Member Avatar
I think I should have opened this log in the 40K project logs!
Any objections, anyone, to my re-opening it there shortly?

# the_great_gonzo
Member Avatar
Wg Cdr
Ask one of the MOD's to move it for you. They'll do it soon enough for you.

As to washes you can do the same thing with enamels, just thin down the paint LOTS. Or try using oil paints just for washes. You really are missing out with acrylics though mate. easier, cleaner and lots more variety plus you don't get high cleaning your brushes.

# Digits
Member Avatar
Shadowkin
Done

Chrisdabeard
Member Avatar
Lovely tank mate. nice camo scheme. I agree with everyone about the washes, make it look even better.

CDB

CXLVII
Member Avatar
Thank you for the move #Digits, much appreciated.
My next pics are of conversions and scratchbuilds that stiil predate 2008
Posted Image
Chimera with autocannon in predator turret, a very simple conversion.

Posted Image
A basilisk with an armoured crew compartment, based on WW2 Hummel.

Posted Image
Leman Russ Conqueror bridgelayer, Forgeworld turret leaves kit turret spare for:
Posted Image
Posted Image
My second scratchbuilt Russ hull, this with spare whitemetal demolisher Plasma cannon sponsons

Posted Image
Salamander scout Armoured car, upper front hull is from a land raider which was given to me by a friend who had Forgeworld parts for own kit. The rest is a card box and the old large ork trukk wheels and other spares.
Edited by CXLVII, 3 Sep 2017, 02:45 PM.

Brother Vogt
Member Avatar
Captain
Some really cool creations there.
Liking the Hummel based Bassy. Blade at the back is a nice touch.
Bridge layer's very cool. Liking how the Conqueror turret looks on it. Is the bridge etc a scratch build or is it a kit?
Scratch build Russ and Armoured Cars also looking very good. Wheels are potentially a little small on the Sally but still looks cool.

PariahZero
Member Avatar
Love the Salamander :) Nice conversions

Spaniel
Member Avatar
Really nice conversions, cant believe I haven't found this topic before?

kadoan
Photobucket
Corporal
Nice conversions , a preference for the detail (the exit of the cannon) of the turret of the predator.

# Marovian
Member Avatar
Ginger Law Enforcer
Good looking vehicles, the Basilisk being the highlight for me, it certainly looks the part and does resemble a Hummel.

CXLVII
Member Avatar
To answer Brother Vogt's question, the bridge is scratchbuilt along with its winch. The winch actually works so the bridge can wind up or down, the chain has a jewellery clasp on it, allowing it to unhook, the "A" frame is able to fold down
between ramps. Tank and bridge can be used seperately in their own right.

CXLVII
Member Avatar
Early in 2007 I had the misfortune of being made redundant from my cabinet making job and after a few months unemployed started in my current role of secondary school D&T technician. In 2008 my D&T department acquired two laser cutters and I've been practicing on them since. I'm allowed to continue my personal developement so long as I pay for any materials for use at home. Initially I just copied my earlier Russ design, drawing it up on CAD program.
Posted Image
This is the result, a virtually identical hull,with a hand cut, if a bit basic, flail.
After that I looked at the Malcador from the, then recently released, Forgeworld vol 5.
The plans drawn in these books are to no particular scale, deliberately I suspect, So I scanned the page to have a copy to work on, then measured the width of the track on the copy, 9mm, knowing that kit track is 10mm, it was then just a case of measuring and recalculating to get a much closer size. I never intended an exact replica, just my variation. The glacis plate has its lascannon in a ball mount, this along with side sponson recesses and turret were all vacuum formed.
Posted Image
Posted Image
The hull sides do not have a great deal of detail, they are 1mm card over 2mm card sides, just enough for it to look the part.
Then I turned my attention to artillery, namely Earthshakers, but on a carriage resembling those from WW1. I started by making barrels from plastic tube fitted to laser cut 3mm acrylic cradles. The carriages are also laser cut, the first design I scrapped, I made the wheels too small, making them bigger meant the carriage had to be redrawn to accomodate them.
This is the result:
Posted Image
Posted Image
this has a couple of Copplestone Casting russians added to the crew.
The other advantage of laser cutting is the possibility of a limited mass production;
Posted Image
Posted Image
My next project was with a fouth barrel in a turret type mounting for fitting into a bunker like the WW2 german coastal defence battery at Longues Sur Mer.
Posted Image
Here under construction still,
Posted Image
Posted Image
Gun finished awaiting painting, it is able to elevate and traverse,
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
The bunker is made from chipboard, the roof lifts off to allow access, it has a piece of 3mm chipbaord on the underneath of the roof that fits snugly to inside of the bunker walls and locks it in place.
There is a change of camo scheme here because I have a jungle fighters infantry army and this is intended for use with them, and if I don't want the gun tied to a bunker there is always gun number 5
Posted Image
Edited by CXLVII, 3 Sep 2017, 03:02 PM.

# Marovian
Member Avatar
Ginger Law Enforcer
That's some nice work, the turret mounted, bunker encased one is my favourite.

Is that your final paint job? I only ask because a little bit of a wash and some pigments would make them really pop. But they are good none the less.

# the_great_gonzo
Member Avatar
Wg Cdr
Don't let Old Guard see those guns mate, he'll wet his training pants!

Some ace conversions in here, I also like your improvised battle mat!

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · Science Fiction Project Logs · Next Topic »