Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Blackadder's Scratchbuilt Thunderhawk
Topic Started: 9 Jun 2011, 09:13 AM (14,890 Views)
Blackadder
Member Avatar
Second Lieutenant
The Blackadder has a new project and I am posting here from the inception rather than after it was completed as with Lucie.

This new project is a Thunderhawk the basic structure of which has been kicked around my basement for a few years; a discarded work my son attempted when I started my Warhound. In all fairness starting college may have been the cause of his waining interest in scratchbuilding.

Anyway I have taken up the gauntlet and am attempting to complete this model.

The hull is composed of 1/2 inch foam filled posterboard and the images below are of the basic hull as of a week ago.

The image uploader isn't working? It's not the size or the format? I'll try later.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image
I came across these 3D images.

I don't know who this artist is but I want to have his baby (Well build his baby anyway.) He has actually made a Thunderhawk look not only attractive but downright viable.

Below are 3D renderings from this artist which while not 100% FW exact are a tremendous improvement on the original and will be my guide from now on.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Note that the last image is of the heretofore not seen belly of the beast.
Posted Image
Edited by Blackadder, 9 Jun 2011, 09:13 AM.

AWOL
Member Avatar
Lieutenant
This should be a log to follow, especially if you can make a thunderhawk look like that 3D model. Far better than FWs model, IMHO. You're off to a good start already, it looks like.

☺Dave38x
Member Avatar
DubDubDubDubDub
someone is going to have to post similar pics of the FW one, i cant see any noticeable difference but that one looks beautiful unlike the fw one...

Shortsonfire79
Member Avatar
Lieutenant
Dave, must be the lighting ;)
Blackadder. Goodluck on your voyage!

Tinners
Member Avatar
Doesn't it look like a face!
It looks sleeker I think.

Dexter
Member Avatar
Warrant Officer First Class
good luck with this, i will be foloowing with baited breath.

Blackadder
Member Avatar
Second Lieutenant
I really want to replicate the 3D Thunderhawk posted above. It may be outsized but it looks more airworthy than any Thunderhawk rendering I've yet seen. I can't wait to get to the fine detail. The layered armour and the beveled edge on the fuselage really makes this thing come alive. I'm also opening up the cargo bay so it will have an interior as well.

Posted Image

"One step forward two steps back," that's my motto.

Blackadder
Member Avatar
Second Lieutenant
Since this beastie will have a full interior of the cargo bay including the side hatches I have to be careful all is right dimension wise. I am taking meticulous care building the nose hatch/ramp.

Posted Image

redmire
Corporal
Do you have details of the dimentions of the 3D model. I have seen it on Deviantart and it looks amazing. Plus the rest of his models are drool worthy.
http://ld810103.deviantart.com/gallery/
It looks like the length is about 480mm (going by the dimentions of the doors and scaling up with real LR doors)

Blackadder
Member Avatar
Second Lieutenant
I've been real busy at work this week not much to show for it. Yesterday I started on the cargo bay interior. Getting smarter in my old age I'm building the interior first so I don't have to work inside out.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

☺Dave38x
Member Avatar
DubDubDubDubDub
Just spent a minute or two scrutinising the 3d model vs the Fw one, as far as i can tell the CAD one is longer and sleeker, with much bigger engines and wider, longer chorded wings.

Loving the interior so far, looking forward to seeing you go all the way through this one!

gun drone 3.0
Member Avatar
Lieutenant
Looking good my friend :)

Daemon-Forge
Member Avatar
Major
looking good, the CAD are ace

# KayvaanShrike
Member Avatar
Marine Biologist
Nice work so far mate. If the entire interior is done to that standard then it will be an impressive beast! Wiil you be incorporating any plastic GW bits or will it all be scratch built?

donanton
Member Avatar
Warrant Officer First Class
thats quite the snappy thunderhawk youve got there blackadder. Are you using the plans by patoroch?

Blackadder
Member Avatar
Second Lieutenant
I'm going to stick with the cargo bay cockpit and under the air brake flaps. That should be sufficient. I know there is a wealth of detail in the FW kit, (They should invest some of that energy in making their moulds stable.) but what I have seen in most of the resin kits I've rescued is that the hatches are glued shut, the doors are inoperable and if there is a panel that can be removed to veiw some internal component it is invariably cemented in place for eternity.

Not so with the Jumbo 'hawk; the interior is coming along nicely but is a chore. Sometimes I wonder why I start these things, they monopolize a lot of time plus I ran out of crucial styrene for the floor ribs and had to make a hobby shop run this morning. I thought I'd never find a use for this size strip but I ran out two strips short of finishing and had to buy more. Now I have more than when I started. (Poor baby Blackadder.)

Any way the floor is done and the side panels are clamped in place but I won't be gluing just yet because I still haven't figured out where the landing gear cylinder goes when the nose gear is retracted. Someone's in for a bit of a shock when that nose gear bursts thru the cargo compartment floor (All together now, "Poor engineering planning FW, nowheres near as well thought out as the Warhound. And where are the actuators for the forward cargo hatch/ramp?) All these problems will have to be addressed before the interior detail can be affixed

Here's the result of a mis-spent Saturday morning:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

☺Dave38x
Member Avatar
DubDubDubDubDub
Cargo ramp actuators on real things are normally beneath the decking, cos its normally about a foot thick :P (ref hercules and chinook). Absolutely loving it so far, its looking beautiful.

And as far as design flaws go, youve got to remember that the thunderhawk is one of their older models, the newer ones make far more engineering sense :P

Blackadder
Member Avatar
Second Lieutenant
Regarding the landing gear:

I saw this video which shows the extension of the landing gear

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L7u8_r07-3s&feature=youtu.be‏

On further watching the video I see that both forward and back actuators pivot on both ends and double as hydraulic cylinders to extend the pad and shock struts (No small feat of engineering that!) but when the strut is full extended down the front and rear cylinders become shock struts and are able to compress and absorb the landing shock.

And very little room is taken up when fully retracted.

Below is my interpretation of the landing gear mechanism:

Posted Image

My solution:

Posted Image
Edited by Blackadder, 19 Jun 2011, 07:11 PM.

Blackadder
Member Avatar
Second Lieutenant
As you can see my vision of the Thunderhawk is slightly larger than the FW offering. My first impression of the Thunderhawk concept was that it be capable of carrying a Rhino. After all for what else would be the purpose of such a huge loading door? Imagine my disappointment when I found the FW Thunderhawk too diminutive to disgorge even so small a tank as a Rhino. I am still mulling over the necessity of hinging the forward side panels to allow more clearance; hell I probably shall in the end not being satisfied with compromising measures. Image the dramatic effect when your Thunderhawk glides to a touchdown, the ramp drops, the side doors open, and it vomits forth an APC.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Sweet!

Starting on the ramp because I need to install the hinge tube before I can apply the nose armour. Below is a practical demonstration of how to make ribbed flooring.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image
Part of the fun of scratchbuilding (If you have a penchant for masochism that is.) is inventing ways to replicate in stock styrene the intricacies of injection mould plastic kits etc. There were two ways to approach the manufacture of the object below. One was to attempt to cut the slots in a single piece of sheet plastic and glue it onto a backing. I rejected that straight out because the finished product regardless of the care exercised would be crude and amateurish. The second, the option I chose was to build the corrugations one slat at a time as demonstrated in the previous reply, score the perpendicular channels with a sharp utility knife, widen and deepen the score with a razor saw, and shave out the residue with a chisel bladed Exacto knife. This worked well for the wide center longitudinal reinforcement but how to make the narrow side reinforcements? Start as before with the score and the razor saw to accomplish the primary cut. Then taking your razor saw at a 45 angle carefully widen the score to the required width. If you have jewelers files you can dress the sides of the channels but in this case it was not necessary.

Now I'll see if I can repeat the process on the other side without screwing the damned thing up.

Posted Image

Then taking your razor saw at a 45 angle carefully widen the score to the required width. If you have jewelers files you can dress the sides of the channels but in this case it was not necessary.

Pictured below are the only tools necessary to accomplish this exercise . Had I to do this over again I would have angled the side channels slightly out at the bottom to dispel the illusion that they converge.

Posted Image
Edited by Blackadder, 24 Jun 2011, 06:31 PM.

☺Easy E
Member Avatar
Captain
Dang. Ambitious.

Nice CAD work too.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · Science Fiction Project Logs · Next Topic »