Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Kanarr Pattern Grenade Launcher; How to make a grenade launcher look more like the M79?
Topic Started: 26 Feb 2010, 02:28 PM (2,393 Views)
TheBedla
Member Avatar
Sergeant
I like using grenade launchers in my (both) IG armies, but for my new US-in-Vietnam-style I figured I wanted an alternative to the stock drum-fed GL supplied in Cadian and Catachan sprues. I liked the ones FW makes for DKoK, but those come too expensive.
One night I was tired of thinking up the construction, I just grabbed my tools and a launcher and this is what I came up with:

The M37 Kanarr pattern Grenade Launcher is a simpler variant of the standard and ubiquitious drum-fed M39 Agripinaa. M37 Kanarr is easy to maintain and control (it fires using the same controls as most standard lasgun patterns, and is equipped with a similar butt-stock). Its absence of a magazine bring another disadvantage (apart from slower rate of fire) - higher recoil, which requires the stock. During many conflicts there were reports of guardsmen dismounting the stock in orded to reduce the weapon's size, and even shortening the barrel without the consent of the superior officers and the regimental techpriest! Such actions are considered a direct breach of the Departmento Munitorum regulation and the culprit will be persecuted.
The grenade launcher is able to fire different types of ammunition, usually marked by a coloured stripe: red for anti-armour, blue for fragmentation; more irregularly white for smoke, green for shot shells and yellow for illum flares.

This is what you need: A plastic grenade launcher, a lasgun with an arm, and a left arm for support (optional)
Posted Image

Posted Image
And a plastic cement or superglue, razor saw, a drill, a modelling knife, a file (or three)

Step The First

File or scrape down any mold lines. Later on, it's going to be too flimsy to get a good grip. You might also want to drill the GL barrel now.

Step The Second

You need to get the lasgun hand with the stock intact. Cut along these lines.
Posted Image

You should end up with this:
Posted Image

Step The Third

Now you need to cut down the remains of the body of the lasgun around the stock, so that you end up with a stock a mm longer, like so:

Posted Image

This is what you should get:

Posted Image

Step The Fourth

Cut away the grenade launcher hand w. trigger, practically the same way as you did with the lasgun.

You should have this now (loosely put together, no glue yet!)
Posted Image

Step The Fifth

Now it's time to get rid of the GL drum, saw it like so:
Posted Image

So you end up with:
Posted Image

Step The Sixth

Now you just glue the bits together (sans the drum), try to line them along as well as you can, some filing down will be necessarry.

Posted Image

☺Dave38x
Member Avatar
DubDubDubDubDub
that looks awesome mate, nice to see someone else uses contacta pro with a bit of wire to keep it unblocked :P

☺highmarshaldave
Member Avatar
Urban Leg-End
Very clever, and you made me chuckle with your step names :P

Dave out.

Noll
Member Avatar
Warrant Officer First Class
interesting, looks a bit more period now

foe42
Member Avatar
Second Lieutenant
very nice i like it

crassius47
Member Avatar
Captain
Dave38x
26 Feb 2010, 03:11 PM
that looks awesome mate, nice to see someone else uses contacta pro with a bit of wire to keep it unblocked :P
so do iotherwise it leads to a lot of swearing

good little tut mate, like the idea of the smaller launcher

☺Maelstrom
Member Avatar
Sek Incarnate
great tutorial dude, I shall definitely be using this on the sons of sek its a nice simple way of replicating the Krieg grenade launchers :)

TheBedla
Member Avatar
Sergeant
Thanks for all the comments, glad y'all like it :)

Here's what you can do if you're bored enough to spend an hour converting a 5pt weapon and hate your fingers enough to scar them beyond recognition B)

Posted Image

crassius47
Member Avatar
Captain
i like it, consider the idea nicked

Daemon-Forge
Member Avatar
Major
thats one nice conversion. think i mite borrow this for the future.

Cole
Member Avatar
Second Lieutenant
Consider this gem yoinked my man.

Matyilinko
Member Avatar
Captain
fantastic idea, will give it a try meh thinks ;)

tommyhatch
Member Avatar
Warrant Officer Second Class
amazing work mate, could you show us how to do an underslung grenade launcher as well for a lasgun?

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
« Previous Topic · Painting & Modelling Techniques and Tutorials · Next Topic »