Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
A crazy man's workbench; Warhammer 40k terrain
Topic Started: 6 Dec 2009, 04:54 PM (10,959 Views)
Hypnox
Member Avatar
Sergeant
So I have taken on a new project, some storage tanks. I got inspired to do them while I was browsing The Ammobunker and I saw some sweat tanks made by marcineczek0 over in his blog.
Posted Image

Plus it gave me the chance to work with my new favourite terrain item Plastic Canvas, it is perfect for making walkways and sorts. And I must say it is great to work with, easy to cut and shape, and it looks good.

The design is quite simple and only took a few hours to make, it is made mostly made out of plastic card, some plastic tubing, a little foam core and a base out of 3 mm mdf.
Posted Image

It need a little more details, thinking about a latter or something like that to get to the top, and maybe some strips around the sides, and of course A LOT more rivets. You can never get to many rivets.

ColCorbane
Member Avatar
Sergeant
Excellent bit of scratch building mate.

Hypnox
Member Avatar
Sergeant
Thanks

I'll better share my new project then, I have begun work on larger piece.
It is a L-shaped row of tanks with an walkway on top, don't quite know what I am going to do with the free area in front of the tanks, but I am sure I am going to come up with something.
Posted Image
Well back to the workbench.

marcineczek0
Member Avatar
Second Lieutenant
This looks great mate!!! I'm glad that you found some inspiration on my log. The round walkway around the "can" looks great. I like that plastic canvas too. The only thing I would change is the base... it looks kind of small for it.
And youare right... you can always have more rivets!!!

oh I was ninjaed by 2 people!!!

I like the new terrain idea... kinda like the one on GW site. In the middle I would make a driveway for a fuel truck...
Edited by marcineczek0, 6 Dec 2009, 11:04 PM.

☺Dave38x
Member Avatar
DubDubDubDubDub
good idea man, for the free area you should add a manifold which routes stuff from the input and output to and from different tanks, IE lots of pipes and big hand valves :)

Matyilinko
Member Avatar
Captain
This is pritty great m8! Looks fine, and yes rivetzz u can has never enough rivetzz! :D

Hypnox
Member Avatar
Sergeant
Well here is an update on the depot.

I have started on the walkway, and must say I am pretty pleased with the result. The piece is primary made to use for either warhammer 40.000 or necromunda, so it has a lot of cracks and slots where you can shoot from, so it is not just a big block on the battle field.
Posted Image
The support are made out of 3x3mm foamcore strips, with the cross bar glued on overlaping the supports. They are easy to construct but the is a lot of cutting and nit picking.
Posted Image
In the beginning I had doubt that they could support the weight of the models, but from the looks of it, they are more then capable of supporting the weight of the models, that can be placed on top of it.
Posted Image
The walkway it self is granny grating aka plastic canvas, and as I have said earlier I simply love that stuff, it is so easy to work with and so forgiving, it would have been more troublesome to make the deck in for instance plastic card. At the moment I am not sure if I am going to put some plastic card around the edges, but more on that later.
Posted Image
As a small side note I think I am going to make some sandbags on walkway so it is not completely suicide to walk up there.

Hypnox
Member Avatar
Sergeant
Yet an other update.

@marcineczek0
Yeah I agree the base for the single tank is a little small, but not sure I am going to bother with changing it, since it was as much a testing ground as a piece in it self. As for the access for the fuel trucks I did not use it for this piece, but I already have plans for an other piece with a walkway spanning a road/filling spot.

I wanted some more elevation in the piece so I added an other level, and since there is still a lot of room beneath the lover platform, I can pipes, hoses and much more.

Posted Image
I have framed the walkways, added an other level and made a latter to access the top walkway Although it might not look like much, it certainly to along time.
Posted Image
I had some plastic "angle iron" from evergreen plastic, and they were just perfect to create some nice edges for the walkways, and I can see I need to order up some more, cause I am going to be using a lot of that stuff now.

marcineczek0
Member Avatar
Second Lieutenant
I like the additional level. And it doesn't look like the GW project anymore!!! It looks better! I wouldn't use foamcore as supports but if you think they will hold... Whatever works!
I would go to your closest DIY store and buy some PVC pipes (elbows and other stuff) like this...

Posted Image

It's simple but looks cool after painting.

Keep building!!!

☺Dave38x
Member Avatar
DubDubDubDubDub
where do you get the grating from?

ColCorbane
Member Avatar
Sergeant
How many pieces are you planning to make? A whole tables worth would make a hell of a game.

Hypnox
Member Avatar
Sergeant
@marcineczek0
Well the reason for using foamcore in the first place was the lake of sufficient number of plastic I-beams, and after working with foamcore this way I don't think it will be the last time I do it. It is really easy fast to make them this way and a lot cheaper ( around 15us$ for the I-beams) and for the weight problem, I am sure the below picture will answer any questions. :P :P
Posted Image
Oh and yeah is definitely going to my local DIY store to look for some pipes.

@Dave38x
I get mine from Everything plastic canvas it is not to expensive if you order a few sheets at the time.

@ColCorbane
Atm I am making what ever pieces I get the idea for, but hoping to do at least a 4'x4' table.

And now for tonight's update.

I have been working on detailing the tanks, so far only been working on the two tanks by the lover platform. With some monitoring consoles on each tank and a center console.

While browsing this forum(can't remember witch post) earlier this day I came across a easy way to make fans or turbines, and I just had to give it a try, and here is the result. I am pretty impressed with how easy it is, the fan on the picture below is only 14mm across and it is only the second one I make so they are not that difficult.
Posted Image
Here is a shot of the approximate position of the consoles, there is going to be running cables and pipes between to tow tank consoles and the center console.
Posted Image
Still not sure what I am going to do with the other two tanks, maybe just running some pipes over to the two other tanks. And of course some danger signs on the sides, any good ideas to what is going to be in side the tank? something dangerous of course.

marcineczek0
Member Avatar
Second Lieutenant
Hehehehe once again I'm glad that mu log was helpful... The fans are actually not my idea. I'm ashamed to say that my mother thought of it while I was making the engines for Orks Bomma. The fan looks very cool by the way... the size is even more awesome!!! I like it and I will actually use it on my next project.

Oh and some time ago I did a pdf file of my Sign collection... I think there are some nice signs for your terrain...
SIGNS.PDF

maybe something like this too... try to google it!!!
Posted Image
Edited by marcineczek0, 8 Dec 2009, 12:24 AM.

bram kuijpers
Member Avatar
Captain
looking good mate, nice to see more terain here, so when are we seeing it finished? ;)

Hypnox
Member Avatar
Sergeant
@bram kuijpers
Well proberly gooing to get some paint done before Christmas as I am hopping to get a new airbrush pistol from santa :P

Well just a small update for now, I have been pondering for some time now, how to make the pipe works for all my pieces as plastic tubes are hard to heat bend so it looks good. And I think I have come up with the answer.

Custom made pipe bends
Posted Image
I made these pipe bends using milliput, and the cut them to the correct lengths after they had hardened. And with the discs and some rivets I should with a little luck end up with something like this.
Posted Image
And them when I done I am going to make a silicone mould, so I can cast the in resin in the future, as is they turn out great I am going to be using a lot of them of this project.

# Digits
Member Avatar
Shadowkin
NICE! This will look really cool when finished.

Chaos Wolf
Member Avatar
Second Lieutenant
Very cool idea! I'm going to have to start paying alittle more attention to what goes in the trash...

Hypnox
Member Avatar
Sergeant
@Digits
Yeah that is what I am hopping for :P

@Chaos Wolf
Wooot... You don't have a 5 step sorting process to you trash to find any potential parts?
:P:P:P

An other update tonight be for I head to bed.

I Have finished the bends and made them ready for moulding.
Posted Image
I used this opportunity to make an other mould, since it is not that more work to tow moulds, when you are making one.
Posted Image
And here is the silicone rubber I am using, it is from Slymasta and is the 370 grade rubber. It is easy to work with a since it is really flexible allows for undercuts making it perfect for model replication.
Posted Image
The keen observer might notice that there now are 3 mould, that is be cause I am not that good a estimating the amount of silicone need to make the mould, so I quickly found some other stuff I could use a mould of.

And ps. don't say modelling isn't dangerous.
Posted ImagePosted Image
I cut my self trying to separate a drum from a old model, must have used a hole bottle of glue attaching it in the first place.

PPS.
having half you finger fixed is kinda crippling when modelling and writing.
Edited by Hypnox, 13 Dec 2009, 07:11 PM.

Severian
Member Avatar
Colour Sergeant
Lovely stuff mate! Those pipe bends look the absolute business. Is it possible to give a link to how to make the fans you put together? I'm assuming marcineczek0 had a tutorial but I have not found it as of yet.

Thanks and keep on building B)

Hypnox
Member Avatar
Sergeant
here you go about half way down

linky linky

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · Terrain · Next Topic »